View Poll Results: Which is worse?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Match/spot fixing

    18 72.00%
  • Doping

    3 12.00%
  • Unban Corrin

    4 16.00%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 49

Thread: Match fixing or doping?

  1. #16
    U19 12th Man
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    Pakistan
    Posts
    250
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Spot fixing is basically match fixing. For one ball, or two, or whatever, Amir and Asif were trying not to win.
    How can you say they were not trying to win??????? They were trying to win (Money).

  2. #17
    International 12th Man
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    uk
    Posts
    1,709
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Spot fixing is basically match fixing. For one ball, or two, or whatever, Amir and Asif were trying not to win.
    This basically.

    Match fixing/spot fixing is deliberately not performing to your best for ulterior motives and is the most serious crime in professional sport.

  3. #18
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill
    Posts
    8,991
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Am including spot fixing with match fixing there. They are, for all intents and purposes, indistinguishable in my book.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Spot fixing is basically match fixing. For one ball, or two, or whatever, Amir and Asif were trying not to win.
    Come off it guys, trying to lose a match is worse than deliberately bowling a no-ball.

    As for the OP, it's a really good question. I think we're all more revolted by fixing than cheating, but there's really no good reason for that. Either way you compromise the integrity of the game. The idea that the cheat is somehow the more noble for actually trying to win is a hard one to sustain.

    It's a bit like being asked whether you'd prefer to die by being fried, boiled or roasted. None of them are pleasant and when you analyse them, they're all pretty sub-optimal.

  4. #19
    International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Location
    Auckland
    Posts
    4,825
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Spot fixing is basically match fixing. For one ball, or two, or whatever, Amir and Asif were trying not to win.
    thats silly.
    were india trying to win against england by bringing on raina to bowl so often?


  5. #20
    Cricketer Of The Year zaremba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Location
    Burgess Hill
    Posts
    8,991
    On the day in 1948 when the Crims scored 700 against Essex, Keith Miller is said to have deliberately chucked his wicket away first ball*.

    Applying Jono's logic, "for that one ball, Miller was trying to lose."

    But personally I don't think that what Miller did was remotely as serious as it would have been had he (or his captain) deliberately tried to lose the match.

    You can say of course that Miller chucking his wicket away didn't matter, because his team-mates were scoring so heavily that it couldn't possibly influence the outcome of the match. Couldn't a lot of spot-fixing be described in the same way?

    Just a thought. Probably a crap one, but hey, that's never stopped me before.


    * It's recently been suggested by David Frith that this may not in fact be true. But whether or not that's so, it doesn't really alter the point.

  6. #21
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    Anyone But England
    Posts
    20,147
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    Come off it guys, trying to lose a match is worse than deliberately bowling a no-ball.

    As for the OP, it's a really good question. I think we're all more revolted by fixing than cheating, but there's really no good reason for that. Either way you compromise the integrity of the game. The idea that the cheat is somehow the more noble for actually trying to win is a hard one to sustain.

    It's a bit like being asked whether you'd prefer to die by being fried, boiled or roasted. None of them are pleasant and when you analyse them, they're all pretty sub-optimal.
    The key difference is that someone who dopes is doing so to perform better and try and win. It's unethical, but I'm not sure it necessarily compromises the integrity of the game - certainly nowhere near as much as someone deliberately underperforming does.

  7. #22
    Global Moderator Fusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,478
    Yeah I don't get the "spot fixing is exactly the same as match fixing" argument. It's not really that black and white though. For instance, if you steal something, then you stole. However, would you punish someone that stole a can of soda the same way you would punish someone that stole millions of dollars? What about killing someone? Is manslaughter the same as murder? In both cases, a life was lost. Yet the legal system treats them differently. I'm fine with someone saying that they feel spot fixing is as bad as match fixing. However I'm just surprised if you don't draw a distinction between the two.

  8. #23
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    The key difference is that someone who dopes is doing so to perform better and try and win. It's unethical, but I'm not sure it necessarily compromises the integrity of the game - certainly nowhere near as much as someone deliberately underperforming does.
    How is Doping not compromising the integrity of the game ? I am just not sure how do you get to measure this sort of stuff, who designed the scale ?

  9. #24
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by andyc View Post
    Doping calls into question the fairness of an individual player's abilities and performance.
    But it affects the game itself if that improved ability and performance changes the outcome of a game, does it not ?

  10. #25
    Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Yeah I don't get the "spot fixing is exactly the same as match fixing" argument. It's not really that black and white though. For instance, if you steal something, then you stole. However, would you punish someone that stole a can of soda the same way you would punish someone that stole millions of dollars? What about killing someone? Is manslaughter the same as murder? In both cases, a life was lost. Yet the legal system treats them differently. I'm fine with someone saying that they feel spot fixing is as bad as match fixing. However I'm just surprised if you don't draw a distinction between the two.
    Agree with you to a certain extent in terms of punishment fitting the crime, but it's not like two distinct 'bowling no-balls' and 'the whole team contrive to lose a match'. It's just all part of the same spectrum that includes all kinds of fixes, where people's opinions of what is bad enough to gain a life ban differs.

    For me, they are to all extents and purposes the same crime but with differing degress of severity rather than two different crimes.

  11. #26
    Global Moderator Fusion's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    United States
    Posts
    11,478
    Quote Originally Posted by four_or_six View Post
    Agree with you to a certain extent in terms of punishment fitting the crime, but it's not like two distinct 'bowling no-balls' and 'the whole team contrive to lose a match'. It's just all part of the same spectrum that includes all kinds of fixes, where people's opinions of what is bad enough to gain a life ban differs.

    For me, they are to all extents and purposes the same crime but with differing degress of severity rather than two different crimes.
    I think it's fair enough if you say the punishment for both should be the same (whether that's a lifetime ban or a slap on the wrist, depending on your view). I just don't agree with "they're exactly the same thing". One is taking money to definitely lose a match. The other is to alter your performance that may have an impact on the match result, though more than likely it won't. Both are despicable, however one is significantly worse in my book.

  12. #27
    Cricketer Of The Year four_or_six's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    9,189
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    I think it's fair enough if you say the punishment for both should be the same (whether that's a lifetime ban or a slap on the wrist, depending on your view). I just don't agree with "they're exactly the same thing". One is taking money to definitely lose a match. The other is to alter your performance that may have an impact on the match result, though more than likely it won't. Both are despicable, however one is significantly worse in my book.
    Hmmm... spot fixing can be all sorts of things though. There was the suggested one with Pakistan when they were over here, something along the lines of: the opening batsmen in an ODI bat really slowly for 3/4 overs, getting the price up for a big over, and then in a specified over go for a big one. That's also spot fixing but it's seriously ****ing up the match.

  13. #28
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,074
    Quote Originally Posted by zaremba View Post
    On the day in 1948 when the Crims scored 700 against Essex, Keith Miller is said to have deliberately chucked his wicket away first ball*.

    Applying Jono's logic, "for that one ball, Miller was trying to lose."

    But personally I don't think that what Miller did was remotely as serious as it would have been had he (or his captain) deliberately tried to lose the match.

    You can say of course that Miller chucking his wicket away didn't matter, because his team-mates were scoring so heavily that it couldn't possibly influence the outcome of the match. Couldn't a lot of spot-fixing be described in the same way?

    Just a thought. Probably a crap one, but hey, that's never stopped me before.


    * It's recently been suggested by David Frith that this may not in fact be true. But whether or not that's so, it doesn't really alter the point.
    Firstly, and off topic, I hate when people marvel in that story and use it to pump up Miller. I love most things about what I've read about Keith Miller, but if true, that act is one I do not respect.

    Now onto your point. I see what you are getting at. However I think that example is Keith Miller being a smartarse/lazy. The key difference is he didn't have ill intentions in doing so.

    What if a player has been told by the bookies that his team cannot win by more than 4 wickets, and they are 5 wickets down, 2 runs to win and 50 balls left. He knows his team is going to win, he knows it. There is no way they will lose, and him losing his wicket will have no impact on the success of his team, only the margin. He then purposely gets bowled (disguising it as a **** shot) and the next batsman to come in scores the 2 runs and his team wins by 4 wickets.

    The bookies are happy.
    The team is happy.
    He is happy.

    Is this not still fixing a match?
    Quote Originally Posted by Fusion View Post
    Yeah I don't get the "spot fixing is exactly the same as match fixing" argument. It's not really that black and white though. For instance, if you steal something, then you stole. However, would you punish someone that stole a can of soda the same way you would punish someone that stole millions of dollars? What about killing someone? Is manslaughter the same as murder? In both cases, a life was lost. Yet the legal system treats them differently. I'm fine with someone saying that they feel spot fixing is as bad as match fixing. However I'm just surprised if you don't draw a distinction between the two.
    Who on Earth is talking punishments here?

    Pre-meditated murder and murder in the heat of the moment are both still murder. One gets a more severe sentence to the other.

    Losing on purpose match fixing or spot fixing a specific point in a match are both match fixing. One gets a more severe sentence to the other.
    Last edited by Jono; 22-09-2011 at 07:46 PM.
    "I am very happy and it will allow me to have lot more rice."

    Eoin Morgan on being given a rice cooker for being Man of the Match in a Dhaka Premier Division game.

  14. #29
    Hall of Fame Member Sanz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    16,230
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Firstly, and off topic, I hate when people marvel in that story and use it to pump up Miller. I love most things about what I've read about Keith Miller, but if true, that act is one I do not respect.

    Now onto your point. I see what you are getting at. However I think that example is Keith Miller being a smartarse/lazy. The key difference is he didn't have ill intentions in doing so.
    Well we don't know if Aamer's intention was to lose the match, do we ? Don't think I am trying to justify his action but just that the moment we bring the "Intention" factor we open ourselves to grave inconsistencies.

  15. #30
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,074
    No that's a fair point. But if Aamer's intention was not to lose the match, then his punishment should be less severe to match fixing. And that has happened.

    I think when people say that match fixing and spot fixing are the same, they are being misinterpreted here (and perhaps zaremba has taken me too bluntly, which is my fault for my wording).

    We aren't saying that they should both receive the same bans. We are saying they both bring the game into disrepute, and the match is tainted forever because of the incident, even if it is just one ball (or one over that is less than 6 runs scores on purpose etc. one intentionally missed goal in a game of football)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast


Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. Road to the 2011 ODI World Cup
    By pasag in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 334
    Last Post: 03-04-2011, 08:23 AM
  2. Qayyum's report
    By Xuhaib in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 17
    Last Post: 01-10-2010, 07:25 AM
  3. ACC Twenty20 Cup, UAE Nov 2009
    By laksh_01 in forum Cricket Chat
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 01-12-2009, 02:27 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •