• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Before Copeland was picked people would be saying that he could never run through test sides because he's too slow. Truth be told he never did run through Sri Lanka but instead had quite a number of edges run through the slips for four. Which means that the real difference between first class and test matches is that in tests, they nick 'em harder.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Tim Bresnan's Test carrer stats are just as good as that.
Tim Bresnan has played a handful of tests though.

Be like saying Lyon's career average is better than Warne's after the first innings of the first test against SL.

Burgey

you think South African batsmen will have trouble facing Copeland given that they face Morkel and Steyn in the nets all the time?
Spurious reasoning mate. Different players have different weaknesses. Andrew McDonald did fine aginst SL when he played against them, as an example.

You pick your best bowlers. Siddle has had a lot of chances to be consistent, and he hasn't done so. It's not he can't bowl well, it's that he doesn't do it often enough (like Johnson).

Copeland played his opening series in fairly unresponsive conditions (first test aside) and not only bowled relatively well, he kept things tight, which is important too. He derserves to keep his place imho.

If Siddle, or even better Dougeh, was to come in for anyone, it ought to be Johnson, who has frankly bowled like a busted arse, Perth aside, for bloody ages. Again, it isn't that Johnson can't bowl - fmd, when he gets it right he's a force of nature.

It's just that he gets it right about once a year these days. Sad, but true. He's averaging mid-50s with the ball, I think, in his last half dozen tests or so.

Valer

First Class Debutant
Spurious reasoning mate. Different players have different weaknesses. Andrew McDonald did fine aginst SL when he played against them, as an example.

You pick your best bowlers. Siddle has had a lot of chances to be consistent, and he hasn't done so. It's not he can't bowl well, it's that he doesn't do it often enough (like Johnson).

Copeland played his opening series in fairly unresponsive conditions (first test aside) and not only bowled relatively well, he kept things tight, which is important too. He derserves to keep his place imho.

If Siddle, or even better Dougeh, was to come in for anyone, it ought to be Johnson, who has frankly bowled like a busted arse, Perth aside, for bloody ages. Again, it isn't that Johnson can't bowl - fmd, when he gets it right he's a force of nature.

It's just that he gets it right about once a year these days. Sad, but true. He's averaging mid-50s with the ball, I think, in his last half dozen tests or so.
My problem for MJ vs Siddle, is the former is a much better bowler when on song. Hence if I was going to persist with one of them in the hope they would fire it would be MJ. I agree that Bollinger is better bet however if your attack is Harris/Copeland/[Johnson, Siddle, Hilf, Bollinger]/[SOK/Lyon/Hauritz]. It also avoids the Siddle+ Johnson combo if Copes/ Harris gets injured.

Would that make us number three, and SA four, with India moving up to number two?
Yes

Eng 125
Ind 117
Aus 112
SA 112

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year

If this series were to be played against some other country, I wouldn't pick johnson tbh.

What's happened to Bollinger? Is he no longer fit enough for tests? He was superb back in 2010.

Spark

Global Moderator
If this series were to be played against some other country, I wouldn't pick johnson tbh.

What's happened to Bollinger? Is he no longer fit enough for tests? He was superb back in 2010.
That's the rationale, but I don't fully buy it. Now now, anyway.

flibbertyjibber

Tim Bresnan has played a handful of tests though.

Be like saying Lyon's career average is better than Warne's after the first innings of the first test against SL.
Bresnan is a class act though, others mentioned apart from Warne aren't.:ph34r:

Obviously Warne is a world beater.

Burgey

He had fitness issues last summer, played Adelaide and died in the arse while bowling, after coming back from a side strain suffered in the first test of the Indian tour. He fell out of favour after that.

Last edited:

Burgey

Bresnan is a class act though, others mentioned apart from Warne aren't.:ph34r:

Obviously Warne is a world beater.
Oh I think Bresnan is a very good bowler.

But then Johnson looked a million bucks in SA last time we toured there.

I actually think Johnson's best chance of performing decently over the medium term, is if he's operating in an attack with the likes of Harris and Copeland, who are very disciplined bowlers. Lets him run in and bowl, not worry about being "the leader", or getting caught between trying to bowl accurately and try and be something other than what he is - a fairly enigmatic performer.

Having said that he should go in favour of Dougeh, I should say I thought he bowled better than his figures suggested in SL just gone.

Last edited:

popepouri

State Vice-Captain
sa are so so heavily dependent on the two quickies. An injury to either rules out any chance of them bowling out a decent opposition for an acceptable score. Australia have a more balanced attack in terms of pace at least + lyon/hauritz are bit more of a proven quantity than tahir though his subcontinental skills could play a role.
lmao

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
Ok but all of that list Dougeh has by far the best record

well perhaps not far, but he's clearly got the wood on Hilf and Siddle
Two things: Doug bullied Pakistan and West Indies, and you don't see the players or anyone in the hierarchy wanting him back. Cricket Australia obviously have to take some responsibility for what happened, but the longer that this goes on, the more that you have to start thinking that he didn't take the personal responsibility to get himself as right as he could be, and that his team-mates felt let down by that. He's never had the reputation for being the hardest worker.

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
It also makes me laugh that Brad Haddin kicked up a stink about being dropped from the T20 side at the beginning of this year, only to retire a few months later after getting a recall. A lot of ego about that, for a guy with not much of a T20 record to speak about.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Random thought:

It strikes me as unfair that Tsotsobe is regarded as hopeless based on him being a very good ODI bowler that's played a handful of mediocre Tests; while Tahir is regarded as the answer to SA's spin problems based on him being a very good ODI bowler that's never played a Test.

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Random thought:

It strikes me as unfair that Tsotsobe is regarded as hopeless based on him being a very good ODI bowler that's played a handful of mediocre Tests; while Tahir is regarded as the answer to SA's spin problems based on him being a very good ODI bowler that's never played a Test.
It's aesthetics, really. Even when he was bowling well in ODIs, Tsotsobe never really looked like he'd be a penetrative Test bowler. I don't think it's really based on failing in Tests, as such.

flibbertyjibber

Oh I think Bresnan is a very good bowler.

But then Johnson looked a million bucks in SA last time we toured there.

I actually think Johnson's best chance of performing decently over the medium term, is if he's operating in an attack with the likes of Harris and Copeland, who are very disciplined bowlers. Lets him run in and bowl, not worry about being "the leader", or getting caught between trying to bowl accurately and try and be something other than what he is - a fairly enigmatic performer.

Having said that he should go in favour of Dougeh, I should say I thought he bowled better than his figures suggested in SL just gone.
Agree with all of that, Johnson is a matchwinner and if Harris and Copeland play there should be less pressure on him. I think it has got to the stage though that he puts too much pressure on himself now and underperforms. maybe the happy hunting ground of SA will spark him into life again.

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
It also makes me laugh that Brad Haddin kicked up a stink about being dropped from the T20 side at the beginning of this year, only to retire a few months later after getting a recall. A lot of ego about that, for a guy with not much of a T20 record to speak about.
So glad he's gone from at least one format. He's the one who came out and said that his arm was so bad that he could hardly hold the bat during the World T20's last time. AFTER the tournament. He's a very unreliable person.