• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Any reason why this ODI series is so protracted?

They could fitted in another Test
they're protesting silly scheduling practices by carrying out the silliest schedule of them all

It hasn't worked because only Peter Roebuck finds the schedule silly.

Ruckus

International Captain
What do people reckon should be our bowling line up for the tests? Johnson, Siddle, Harris, Copeland, Cummins, Lyon, Beer are the possible selections.

The question is do we go with four pacemen or 3 and a spinner? The first test is at Newlands, so it can offer a bit for everyone. Four pacemen seems a bit excessive in any conditions because of Watson, but should we really be bowling him much at the moment given his recent fitness concerns? IMO Watson should be forced to concentrate on his batting this tour, because with their attack it will be a hell of a challenge and we can't really afford either to lose him due to injury, or let his batting form be compromised because of having to bowl too much.

Preferably I'd go with Harris (simply our best bowler), Johnson (hard to leave him out given how he last performed in these conditions), Copeland (needs to be there to provide stability, and also I reckon he could be a real threat if the conditions are favourable) and Lyon (>Beer).

If Cummins has to debut, I really hope we can avoid Harris, Johnson, Cummins, Lyon (could either be devastatingly good, or horrendously inconsistent, a risk I wouldn't take). Would probably prefer, Harris, Johnson, Cummins, Copeland, but this side really lacks part-time spin options and given it's Newlands that could be a bit of a problem.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Unchanged bowling lineup.

Key issue has been the lack of stability in our bowling attack. Why change it after performing well as a unit in Sri Lanka?

Harris for Sids. Pre injury lineup I mean.

Last edited:

Ruckus

International Captain
Yeah my thoughts too, but I reckon the most likely line up at this stage is Harris, Johnson, Cummins and Lyon. If Cummins bombs again in the last ODI that could raise some concerns though if they are actually thinking about going in to the tests with that line-up. Is there a practice match before the first test as well? Could also have a strong bearing on the side...

Last edited:

Spikey

Harris, Copeland, MJ and Lyon. Absolutely no doubts that's the attack to send out.

what line-up we send out for the tour match will be interesting though. and of course i'm worried we'll indeed play cummins for copeland

Spikey

According to my calender he's due for the 2nd match

Ideally I would be able to name Bollinger in the 3rd spot but....

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Great record in South Africa, bowling with bowlers who'll actually compliment him. If he's firing, the ultimate shock weapon.
Yeah, sorta guessed that'd be the case. But tbf, it's more the man's mental state than form or a liking for certain grounds. Having said that, genuine pace is always a weapon in SA and he could be a fair punt.

Noble One

International Vice-Captain
Johnson was impressive in his prior FC game for Western Australia.

We all know how bipolar he can be, but I'd take my chances with an in-form Johnson.

Ruckus

International Captain
Harris, Copeland, MJ and Lyon. Absolutely no doubts that's the attack to send out.

what line-up we send out for the tour match will be interesting though. and of course i'm worried we'll indeed play cummins for copeland
Do you know when the tour match is? Can't see it anywhere on the schedule...

Yeah, sorta guessed that'd be the case. But tbf, it's more the man's mental state than form or a liking for certain grounds. Having said that, genuine pace is always a weapon in SA and he could be a fair punt.
I reckon the ground drastically influences Johnson's mental state though. He is by and large a confidence bowler, and I think his previous experiences in SA will bring the best out of him. Also has been generating a bit of swing in the ODI's too, which can only be a good thing.

Last edited:

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Johnson was impressive in his prior FC game for Western Australia.

We all know how bipolar he can be, but I'd take my chances with an in-form Johnson.
Please define the part in bold in Johnson's case! :ph34r:

He'd always be a punt, a reasonable one in this case as you correctly point out.

Last edited:

Spikey

Do you know when the tour match is? Can't see it anywhere on the schedule...
1st of Nov.....yeah there's a longer break between the 2nd and 3rd ODer than the break between the 3rd ODer and the tour match. 4 day against SA A. Beer and Harris were told to stay here and play this round of the shield in full leading me to assume they wouldn't play in the tour match but who knows.