• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

jan

State Vice-Captain
Guys, I seem to be missing something...whats the difference between South Africa v Australia and South Africa A v Australians?

Oh and I tweeted Cricket SA asking if there are really only 2 tests and they actually replied. Saying that unfortunately its so. Looks like they feel genuinely sad about it or am I missing something else apart from the above issue? :)

four_or_six

Cricketer Of The Year
Guys, I seem to be missing something...whats the difference between South Africa v Australia and South Africa A v Australians?

Oh and I tweeted Cricket SA asking if there are really only 2 tests and they actually replied. Saying that unfortunately its so. Looks like they feel genuinely sad about it or am I missing something else apart from the above issue? :)
South Africa A is their 2nd team, and it's a warm-up match prior to the test matches starting. Because it's a warm-up match, for some reason Australia call their team "Australians" to show that it isn't a full test match.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't really understand why you have to play 3 teams in one summer. :wacko:

4 Tests against SA then 4 Tests against India would be perfect. Its aggrieving enough for England only getting three Tests against SA but 2 is frankly disgraceful.
In fairness this series is over and above both team's FTP commitments...what's dire is that a Test is being lost because of the clash with the Champions League.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Has Lyon really been bad enough to get the arse? The rugby world cup and work have meant I've not seen a lot of him in the third test, but he'd looked pretty decent up until then.

Whilst Hauritz has been treated disgraceful, I don't see there's any reason to shaft another tyro offie to rectify this. Of the two I'd say Lyon looks to have slightly the more about his bowling, based on the limited amount I've seen. His flight and dip in particular looked very encouraging. Seems to get more side spin than Doogie too.

Oh, and two tests is a calumny on cricket, etc...

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
South Africa A is their 2nd team, and it's a warm-up match prior to the test matches starting. Because it's a warm-up match, for some reason Australia call their team "Australians" to show that it isn't a full test match.
Yes our tour matches are always under the "Australians" name, been that way for at least 40 years, maybe more, I can't be stuffed checking.

uvelocity

International Coach
South Africa A have three lions on their shirts

The whole AUS won't come to SA over Xmas every other tour has also contributed to this.
Good, stuff em. We play cricket at home in summer. That is all.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Seeing the schedule as it is, Rhino needs to be rested for all the LO stuff and the kiwi series.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
And honestly, if Johnson cannot perform in SA he needs to get the flick from our first choice bowling attack. Direct swap for Dougeh obviously

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Agree. No point in him playing any ODI's ever again, and needs to be fit for India, our bowling lineup will have a hard enough time at full strength on our docile pitches vs the Indians, we don't need injuries. Sachin, Laxman, Sehwag could dine out on our attack this summer, no helpful England pitches to help us....and the weakest bowling lineup Sachin would've faced ever in Australia. Johnson out, Dougie in for at least one test to show his fitness, he's a much better bowler -period- anyway.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Agree. No point in him playing any ODI's ever again, and needs to be fit for India, our bowling lineup will have a hard enough time at full strength on our docile pitches vs the Indians, we don't need injuries. Sachin, Laxman, Sehwag could dine out on our attack this summer, no helpful England pitches to help us....and the weakest bowling lineup Sachin would've faced ever in Australia. Johnson out, Dougie in for at least one test to show his fitness, he's a much better bowler -period- anyway.
I hate to say this but I'm actually happy with CA scheduling for FC matches in our domestic season - There's plenty still to complain about mind you - but with several rounds of FC matches before the Indians arrive it gives some of our fringe bowlers the means to prove themselves. With Clarke now on the selection committee perhaps dougeh will find a way back in sooner than later

Last edited:

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Should be a good series. South Africa will really fancy themselves in Cape Town, good ground for them as its usually slow and pretty flat, so the batsman go heavy and the bowling attack likes those conditions. Wanderers will be the test though, can be sometimes too lively for their batsman, the bowlers get carried away and while they blew away England by an innings last time they played there, you don't want a wicker that quick with Johnson around.

Like that the limited overs stuff is first, means South Africa won’t be going into the tests cold. From what Kirsten has said, Boucher will start the test series but no indication that Virus will play, so strong likelihood is that Rudolph and Smith will open and Prince will play infront of JP. As for the bowling, AD apparently rates Craig Alexander but given Craig is a strike bowler; he may not be what South Africa is looking for in a third seamer, what with Steyn, Morne and Tahir being the wicket takers. Philander or Ryan McLaren gives the side more balance.

Good thing about the ODIs and 20/20s coming first is that Lopsy and Parnell will probably bowl themselves completely out of the test reckoning. Don’t expect too many faces in the limited overs side, Smith still wants to play ODIs, meaning Rudolph can’t play and Kallis is in no rush to stop playing ODIs as well. Likes of Vandiar and Rossouw will probably get a hit out in the 20/20s.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
SA can still become number 1 in the world if they beat us 2-0 and then beat SL 2-0 right?

kinda conflicted tbh

Redbacks

International Captain
Mitch will get picked

v South Africa 6 10 3 401 123* 96* 64 57.28 1 2 2

v South Africa 6 298.4 840 33 8/61 11/159 25.45 2.81 54.3 1 1

uvelocity

International Coach
mad if they don't stick with copes. flapping bonkers.

harris copes sprayer in sa.. If he can't get it to happen there, harris copes bolly in australia. siddle is the poor cousin, 4 wickets and a birthday hatty notwithstanding.

Siddle to only replace Harris this summer.

Last edited: