• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Spark

Global Moderator
That's mad. If India ever won after scoring 47, it would be the very definition of the most satisfying victory I've ever had.
It's partly the situation tbf. The match-winning amazing performance came before this all happened. If we win, it won't be that surprising based on match position.

Gives it more of a "thank **** for Clarke" rather than a "holy **** how did we win that?!" Sydney 10 feel (or Mohali 10 for Indian fans).

The caveat to this of course is if SA lose 7 wickets with 25 runs to get and fall about 10 short, that would definitely have a touch of the latter.

Last edited:

Ausage

Cricketer Of The Year
Gives it more of a "thank **** for Clarke" rather than a "holy **** how did we win that?!" Sydney 10 feel (or Mohali 10 for Indian fans).
And thank **** for Watson/Harris/whoever else takes wickets in the second innings. I would say that a SA fan would be feeling "thank **** for Steyn/Philander/whoever makes runs in the second innings" should they get home here.

As long as that innings isn't just dismissed if we end up winning. 9/21 should never be acceptable from an Australian team, I don't care what the conditions or the opposition are doing.

Son Of Coco

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
oh no i don't mean win. i mean his spot. if he doesn't add anything today that could hurt him pretty badly
Mate, you've obviously ignoring the fact he's a bowler who could run hot at any time. Mind you, if he was lightning I'd feel pretty safe standing under a tree.

Hope saying this means he takes 8 today...

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
If we *do* win, it'll feel so bizarre. Hollow, almost.

Urgh. So conflicted right now. Part of me says "wait and see, keep a cool head etc before getting the pitchforks", but other part of me says "nine for twenty ****ing one".
Well, if SA do chase it down wouldn't it be the 2nd highest successful chase at Newlands?

The two out there aren't looking very bothered but Australia has more than a healthy shot at winning this. Sure, we could be out of sight, but the game is still on. Won't feel hollow at all, to me.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Well, if SA do chase it down wouldn't it be the 2nd highest successful chase at Newlands?
Only a day 3 deck, but. Hoping the Aussies can lay on the pressure, SA would be feeling it a little even after their good/abysmal/AWESOME day

The two out there aren't looking very bothered but Australia has more than a healthy shot at winning this. Sure, we could be out of sight, but the game is still on. Won't feel hollow at all, to me.
Agree with that too.

abmk

State 12th Man
crazy day of cricket ......

Some pretty good bowling from Watto/Ryan/Philander/Morkel , but inept batting was as much of a factor, if not more. The pitch is/was nowhere as much of a devil as scores of 96 and 47 would indicate

Think Watto is pretty under-rated as a bowler tbh

Ruckus

International Captain
That was below the belt.

Think Watto is pretty under-rated as a bowler tbh

yeah indeed. Reckon if Watson didn't have potential injury flare ups he would make a better frontline bowler than both Siddle and Johnson tbh.

Last edited:

adub

International Captain
Only a day 3 deck, but. Hoping the Aussies can lay on the pressure, SA would be feeling it a little even after their good/abysmal/AWESOME day.
SA will be ****ting themselves right up til the last dozen runs, and even then only if they have 5 or more in the hutch. We've seen all game that once you get a new guy in you can knock over a bunch in a hurry. The drop off Amla might really hurt, but even if these two put on a hundred we're still a good show. Get one and the new bat will be a little edgy, get two and they'll start thinking "what if". Get three and panic could consume them.

We're on top simply because they have to get them. If we bowl tight and field well they'll need a good slice of luck to get there.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
is 18 wickets for 68 runs the greatest cluster or concentration of wickets to fall....ever --- from saf 49for 1 to aus 21 for 9?

saf have this in the bag.

but, then again, i thought that johnson was going to be the new davidson.

Top_Cat

SA will be ****ting themselves right up til the last dozen runs, and even then only if they have 5 or more in the hutch. We've seen all game that once you get a new guy in you can knock over a bunch in a hurry. The drop off Amla might really hurt, but even if these two put on a hundred we're still a good show. Get one and the new bat will be a little edgy, get two and they'll start thinking "what if". Get three and panic could consume them.

We're on top simply because they have to get them. If we bowl tight and field well they'll need a good slice of luck to get there.
Yep, will be all about rhythm. Don't let the Saffers get into any.

Harris and Watto the key men for me but Lyon the barometer. If he gets a bowl, reckon SA will look to get stuck in which, considering he doesn't bowl darts, could go any way.

adub

International Captain
Yep, will be all about rhythm. Don't let the Saffers get into any.

Harris and Watto the key men for me but Lyon the barometer. If he gets a bowl, reckon SA will look to get stuck in which, considering he doesn't bowl darts, could go any way.
It actually wouldn't surprise me for Lyon to be the destroyer. More likely to be the quicks sure, but if Lyon is giving it air and panicked Saffas are trying to get the game over with it could all go pear shaped real fast. Couple of close catchers and an in out field and it could get intersting fast.

Burgey

It's all just down to the wicket, isn't it? If it's juiced up a tad overnight, with an early start there'll be enough in it to cause dramas. If it hasn't, the seam movement will be there but neither as pronounced nor extravagant.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
It actually wouldn't surprise me for Lyon to be the destroyer. More likely to be the quicks sure, but if Lyon is giving it air and panicked Saffas are trying to get the game over with it could all go pear shaped real fast. Couple of close catchers and an in out field and it could get intersting fast.
Should have had a bowl yesterday, especially when it became apparent that Harris lost 15kph in the space of 2 hours, Watson wasn’t swinging the ball anymore and Johnson was gun barrel again. Seemed an odd move not to bowl him as well, especially as Smith has struggled against offies and as he doesn’t use his feet, you can nigh on guarantee he will only be looking to sweep (out). If he bowls today then I think the game is as good as up. Not enough runs to play with and unless Clarke goes against the grain, he won't be on until all the 4 quicks have had a crack. I would start with him and Harris.