• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

SeamUp

International Coach
Tsotsobe seems to be their chosen one (failed in county cricket, sent home with bad attitude allegedly) but then there appears to be Theron and young bucks like Alexander. Even Donald admitted though if they lost one of their best two they'd been in trouble. Their other interesting selection poser would be Alviro Petersen/Prince and Duminy fighting it out for two spots.
Don't write off Tsotsobe too quickly. He lacks pace but he has height and can hold up and end and get important wickets while possibly Tahir will play as another attacking bowler. Tsotsobe did Ponting in the ODI he played against Aus on the pull shot and he skied it, he has the ability to change it up in pace. Philander could be another line bowler chosen and he hits the seam a lot and he has been doing well on 'A' tours and is maturing and can hold the bat down the order. Parnell and Alexander are other attacking options for 140kph plus bowling with swing.

Prince will keep his spot, hasn't done anything wrong and has scored runs against Australia when chips are down before.

The interesting selections will be Petersen or Rudolph to open and Tahir or Harris as the spinner probably.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
if hauritz kills it at the champions league and lyon doesn't does hauritz get the test spot

[/Cutting edge satire]

what's the sa team looking like nowadays? Prince & Boucher still there? Random draw for the 3rd seamer?

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
I thought Lyon looked ok in Sri Lanka but I was always one to say that Hauritz got a raw deal.

Briony

International Debutant
With Hauritz it will be a matter of whether or not the selectors are prepared to eat humble pie but he's the best all-round cricketer/spinner in the country.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Tsotsobe seems to be their chosen one (failed in county cricket, sent home with bad attitude allegedly) but then there appears to be Theron and young bucks like Alexander.

Don't write off Tsotsobe too quickly. He lacks pace but he has height and can hold up and end and get important wickets while possibly Tahir will play as another attacking bowler. Tsotsobe did Ponting in the ODI he played against Aus on the pull shot and he skied it, he has the ability to change it up in pace. Philander could be another line bowler chosen and he hits the seam a lot and he has been doing well on 'A' tours and is maturing and can hold the bat down the order. Parnell and Alexander are other attacking options for 140kph plus bowling with swing.
Thanks! Would be interesting to see how some of them go. Tsotsobe looked steady and not too threatening when the Indians toured. Although, as you mentioned, he has the ability to unleash a heavy ball every now and then. Hits the seam from a good height, so I cannot say I am too displeased with the basics.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Look folks, I am not against Hauritz's selection. But the issue is that by dumping Lyon at this stage, the Aussie selectors will be making the same mistake that they've been making since Warne's retirement.

What a young spinner needs is a conducive environment for his art to blossom. The knowledge that your skipper and selectors believe in your ability and are looking to groom you overtime is an immense confidence-booster. True, Hauritz was given a raw deal and must figure in the scheme of things for future. But, let's not be intent on ruining another young off-spinner's confidence. :cool:

iamdavid

International Debutant
Look folks, I am not against Hauritz's selection. But the issue is that by dumping Lyon at this stage, the Aussie selectors will be making the same mistake that they've been making since Warne's retirement.

What a young spinner needs is a conducive environment for his art to blossom. The knowledge that your skipper and selectors believe in your ability and are looking to groom you overtime is an immense confidence-booster. True, Hauritz was given a raw deal and must figure in the scheme of things for future. But, let's not be intent on ruining another young off-spinner's confidence. :cool:
Lyon will definitely be in the squad, but there's a fair chance of Hauritz or possibly even O'Keefe being picked too. And once they're in the squad there's always the possibility they'll outbowl Lyon in the warm up and sneak into the test side ahead of him.

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I'd love to see Hauritz in the side or the squad. It'd make the "Mitch can bat" excuse even less relevant, for one.

Bun

Banned
Well then **** CA.

Ridiculous stuff epecially considering it's to be followed by another 2 test series Vs NZ... apparently.

Makes BCCI look almost lickable.

Spark

Global Moderator
We go from this straight to a 2 Test series vs NZ and then straight to the 4-match BG trophy before the LO triangular series. Whoever scheduled/put together the FTP for this 12 month period deserves a cricket bat to the face. Think we have a series in WI straight after too. Deadset worst scheduling, I'll be amazed if we have anything like our first XI on the park by the end of it.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
I don't really understand why you have to play 3 teams in one summer. :wacko:

4 Tests against SA then 4 Tests against India would be perfect. Its aggrieving enough for England only getting three Tests against SA but 2 is frankly disgraceful.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Pumped for this series. Haven't watched SA play a test for ages. Hoping that Steyn and Morkel can tear apart the Aussies.

Btw can somebody please tell me why this series is only 2 tests. Scrap the dam champions league. I honestly think if they don't have time to do a long tour they should do only Tests or ODI's. Aka 4 tests or 2 T20I's and 7 ODI's.

Jarquis

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Hauritz should definitely play if fit.

2 Test series should be ****ed off and never seen again..