Page 2 of 513 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Yeah I was wondering with the 2nd Test finishing on the 21st of November and the Border-Gavaskar series starting on Boxing Day how they fit in the NZ series.
    No LO overs matches. NZ are playing NSW and Aus A in warm up matches tho iirc.
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

International 12th Man Outswinger@Pace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post

SA did have a good team-bonding camp where 28 players were chosen and it was all about fitness really and no cricket. Former SA cricketing legends then joined up for a golf day.
    Mate, how does the third seamer scenario look like in South Africa? From where I stand, there seems to be too much reliance on Steyn and Morkel. Do you think there's some promising young speedster who should do well in test cricket?

Quote Originally Posted by Outswinger@Pace View Post
    Mate, how does the third seamer scenario look like in South Africa? From where I stand, there seems to be too much reliance on Steyn and Morkel. Do you think there's some promising young speedster who should do well in test cricket?

Tsotsobe seems to be their chosen one (failed in county cricket, sent home with bad attitude allegedly) but then there appears to be Theron and young bucks like Alexander. Even Donald admitted though if they lost one of their best two they'd been in trouble. Their other interesting selection poser would be Alviro Petersen/Prince and Duminy fighting it out for two spots.

Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post

Possibly but SA are clear favourites. Would be pleased with a drawn series.
    Yeah, that would be a fine result for the guests. My concern is that if Harris gets injured (and I genuinely hope that doesn't happen), what chances are there of picking up 20 South African wickets?

The Steyn and Morkel (and perhaps the classy leg spinner) test would be challenging for the batsmen, but there are guys in there who've been there and done that before.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Provided they are available the bowling line-up, IMO, should be: Copeland, Harris, Bollinger and Lyon.
    ★★★★★

Quote Originally Posted by Briony View Post
    Tsotsobe seems to be their chosen one (failed in county cricket, sent home with bad attitude allegedly) but then there appears to be Theron and young bucks like Alexander. Even Donald admitted though if they lost one of their best two they'd been in trouble. Their other interesting selection poser would be Alviro Petersen/Prince and Duminy fighting it out for two spots.
    Don't write off Tsotsobe too quickly. He lacks pace but he has height and can hold up and end and get important wickets while possibly Tahir will play as another attacking bowler. Tsotsobe did Ponting in the ODI he played against Aus on the pull shot and he skied it, he has the ability to change it up in pace. Philander could be another line bowler chosen and he hits the seam a lot and he has been doing well on 'A' tours and is maturing and can hold the bat down the order. Parnell and Alexander are other attacking options for 140kph plus bowling with swing.

Prince will keep his spot, hasn't done anything wrong and has scored runs against Australia when chips are down before.

The interesting selections will be Petersen or Rudolph to open and Tahir or Harris as the spinner probably.

International Debutant aussie tragic's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    Provided they are available the bowling line-up, IMO, should be: Copeland, Harris, Bollinger and Lyon.
    I prefer Harris, Bollinger, Copeland and Hauritz

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    if hauritz kills it at the champions league and lyon doesn't does hauritz get the test spot

[/Cutting edge satire]

what's the sa team looking like nowadays? Prince & Boucher still there? Random draw for the 3rd seamer?
    Last edited by Spikey; 20-09-2011 at 07:37 AM.

I thought Lyon looked ok in Sri Lanka but I was always one to say that Hauritz got a raw deal.

With Hauritz it will be a matter of whether or not the selectors are prepared to eat humble pie but he's the best all-round cricketer/spinner in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Briony View Post
    Tsotsobe seems to be their chosen one (failed in county cricket, sent home with bad attitude allegedly) but then there appears to be Theron and young bucks like Alexander.

Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    Don't write off Tsotsobe too quickly. He lacks pace but he has height and can hold up and end and get important wickets while possibly Tahir will play as another attacking bowler. Tsotsobe did Ponting in the ODI he played against Aus on the pull shot and he skied it, he has the ability to change it up in pace. Philander could be another line bowler chosen and he hits the seam a lot and he has been doing well on 'A' tours and is maturing and can hold the bat down the order. Parnell and Alexander are other attacking options for 140kph plus bowling with swing.
    Thanks! Would be interesting to see how some of them go. Tsotsobe looked steady and not too threatening when the Indians toured. Although, as you mentioned, he has the ability to unleash a heavy ball every now and then. Hits the seam from a good height, so I cannot say I am too displeased with the basics.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ikki View Post
    If he's fit there's no way in hell they're not playing Johnson.

Look folks, I am not against Hauritz's selection. But the issue is that by dumping Lyon at this stage, the Aussie selectors will be making the same mistake that they've been making since Warne's retirement.

What a young spinner needs is a conducive environment for his art to blossom. The knowledge that your skipper and selectors believe in your ability and are looking to groom you overtime is an immense confidence-booster. True, Hauritz was given a raw deal and must figure in the scheme of things for future. But, let's not be intent on ruining another young off-spinner's confidence.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by aussie tragic View Post
    I prefer Harris, Bollinger, Copeland and Hauritz
    Actually, I would too, if he felt fit and upto it.

International Debutant iamdavid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Outswinger@Pace View Post
    Look folks, I am not against Hauritz's selection. But the issue is that by dumping Lyon at this stage, the Aussie selectors will be making the same mistake that they've been making since Warne's retirement.

What a young spinner needs is a conducive environment for his art to blossom. The knowledge that your skipper and selectors believe in your ability and are looking to groom you overtime is an immense confidence-booster. True, Hauritz was given a raw deal and must figure in the scheme of things for future. But, let's not be intent on ruining another young off-spinner's confidence.
    Lyon will definitely be in the squad, but there's a fair chance of Hauritz or possibly even O'Keefe being picked too. And once they're in the squad there's always the possibility they'll outbowl Lyon in the warm up and sneak into the test side ahead of him.
    Last edited by iamdavid; 20-09-2011 at 08:19 AM.

Thread Information