• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Why would you stack your side with seamers when Australia's limited overs sides are hilarious against spin?

SamSawnoff

U19 Vice-Captain
Why would you stack your side with seamers when Australia's limited overs sides are hilarious against spin?
The tragedy with the dropping of David Hussey is being deprived of watching him bumble around like he needs a white stick when confronted with an even half-decent spin bowler.

uvelocity

International Coach
someone say something ?!

ok me..... not long to go... aussies lose both t20's .... 5-2 aussie for the series!

Joao

U19 12th Man
Hmmm...

SAF v AUS

T20 2-0 (but who cares?)

ODI 1-2 (Dead rubber for SAF)

REAL 1-1

Australia's test to be a close one, Steyn to do us over in the other.-> We have 5 top order players who like to swing at stuff away from their bodies.

Marius

International Debutant
How's this for a SA Test side?

Smith
Rudolph
Amla
Kallis
De Villiers
Duminy
Boucher
McLaren
M Morkel
Sten
Tahir

uvelocity

International Coach

aussie tragic

International Captain
Given that Warner is hitting runs in all forms of the game, I'd be tempted to make the tough call on Ponting now and go witth the following for the first Test

Hughes
Warner
Marsh
Watson
Clarke
Hussey
Haddin
Hauritz
Johnson
Harris
Copeland

Khawaja (for when Marsh does a North)
Lyons
Bollinger
Siddle

Joao

U19 12th Man
Given that Warner is hitting runs in all forms of the game, I'd be tempted to make the tough call on Ponting now and go witth the following for the first Test
Surely not serious? The same Dave Warner that has played 9 first class matches and got both of his 2 first class hundreds against Zimbabwe???

I respect that Ponting may well be past it but I refuse to beleive that Warner is the next best First Class batsman in Australia regardless of how many centuries he smashes in T20.
He scores domestic T20 runs and plays in the T20I which is fair enough but it should stop there.

Woodster

International Captain
Surely not serious? The same Dave Warner that has played 9 first class matches and got both of his 2 first class hundreds against Zimbabwe???

I respect that Ponting may well be past it but I refuse to beleive that Warner is the next best First Class batsman in Australia regardless of how many centuries he smashes in T20.
He scores domestic T20 runs and plays in the T20I which is fair enough but it should stop there.
One of his two First-Class centuries was made in the Sheffield Shield against WA wasn't it ?

However, I do agree that surely Warner has not done anywhere near enough to play Test cricket for Australia ? I appreciate you don't have to do nearly as much as you used to have to (especially if you're a young spinner), but unless you're an exceptionally talented batsmen, a Test debut after nine first-class games is a gamble, especially if it is to signal the end of Ponting's career.

Joao

U19 12th Man
One of his two First-Class centuries was made in the Sheffield Shield against WA wasn't it ?

However, I do agree that surely Warner has not done anywhere near enough to play Test cricket for Australia ? I appreciate you don't have to do nearly as much as you used to have to (especially if you're a young spinner), but unless you're an exceptionally talented batsmen, a Test debut after nine first-class games is a gamble, especially if it is to signal the end of Ponting's career.
I was just basing that upon his profile all though the 150odd match was classed as an other match but I was assuming that had FC status.

All the same, I agree with the rest of your post anyway. I'd sooner have Ferguson than Warner and neither at the expense of Ponting.

Briony

International Debutant
Would seem premature to promote Warner to test cricket atm but his technique and application seem to have improved since he first saw him in the first class game.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I've been a huge Warner advocate in the longer form, but that was as an advocate for him to get into the NSW side. Let's give the bloke a full FC season to see him go. I think eventually he can make the grade, but there's plenty of time.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
wouldn't surprise me if they picked warner as the reserve bat instead of usman but let's hope not