• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Phantom

Banned
No idea why Hughes is walking off like that, always looked like a fair catch.

Anyway that was exhausting, think I need to go and lie down.
Haha, indeed, what a riveting session.

This pitch certainly isn't a minefield, credit to the bowling, and perhaps the batsmen have had a it a little their own way for a while and have fallen into bad technical habits.

Andre

International Regular
As much as I think Hughes has his weaknesses, I don't now why he is being targeted here... as Spark said 17 of 23 completed innings so far have been single figures.
Big issue for Hughes is that he doesn't leave well - doesn't seem entirely confident around off stump. Add this to the fact his instinct is to flash at everything outside off and there isn't exactly a formula there that fills you with confidence for a opening bat.

The not being able to leave well will continue to make his dismissals stand out more than others as he is a massive, frequent knicker.

uvelocity

International Coach
This pitch certainly isn't a minefield, credit to the bowling, and perhaps the batsmen have had a it a little their own way for a while and have fallen into bad technical habits.
yeh, they wouldn't all be averaging 50+ in any other generation

nexxus

U19 Debutant
Pity they'll probably declare the pitch substandard and permanently ban Newlands from international cricket after this match. I wouldn't be surprised if there's already fervent discussion about abandoning the match as we speak.

benchmark00

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Pipe dream.

For that to happen across the board, we'd have to have inhuman umpires.

Oh hang on..
"Performance statistics over the last 12 months show that the Emirates Elite
Panel of ICC umpires are operating at a correct decision rate around 92%,
which compares to 94% in Major League Baseball."

Reckon there's been more than 8% of decisions being incorrect today.

BUT IT'S NOT THE UMPIRES FAULT!

Burgey

12 wickets in a session is ridiculous! There is something in the pitch, but 12 wickets ? Didn't want to say it was down to poor batting, and I'm still relenting in doing so, but I cannot accept this pitch warrants 12 wickets being lost on it in a single session. Maybe it's just one of those outrageous passages of play that Test cricket sometimes throws up, but you always expect a gritty partnership somewhere along the line.
Mind you, every time ****loads of wickets fall, we always say the deck doesn't look that bad. And neither does this one.

Maybe it's doing just enough.

Quite like nothing I've ever seen before.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Big issue for Hughes is that he doesn't leave well - doesn't seem entirely confident around off stump. Add this to the fact his instinct is to flash at everything outside off and there isn't exactly a formula there that fills you with confidence for a opening bat.

The not being able to leave well will continue to make his dismissals stand out more than others as he is a massive, frequent knicker.
With Hughes it just seems a case of his strength being right next to his weakness. Unless his jedgement is 100% spot on he'll probably cop a few dismissals that look utterly stupid.

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
It's not a one-off though.
Someone like Ponting is obviously looked at and Watson is sliding somewhat also. Also Hughes. My point is, if you are using this series as a gauge...do you judge them on this Test?

I reckon myself that Ponting should seriously take a long hard look at himself; but is this the kind of Test you want to criticise yourself for?

Last edited:

Spark

Global Moderator
I don't think you can blame the deck too much, really. So many dismissals came because of shoddy footwork to a ball that did a little bit but was otherwise pretty straight. That's basic Test match batting technique fail there.

Jacknife

International Captain
Mind you, every time ****loads of wickets fall, we always say the deck doesn't look that bad. And neither does this one.

Maybe it's doing just enough.

Quite like nothing I've ever seen before.
That's it, when it just does a bit batsman seem to nick everything or just miss, if it does too much you don't get the nicks.

No wonder they haven't played tests at this place in such a long time, at this time of year.

Last edited:

benchmark00

I don't think you can blame the deck too much, really. So many dismissals came because of shoddy footwork to a ball that did a little bit but was otherwise pretty straight. That's basic Test match batting technique fail there.
Yeah but it's what the balls have done before that though. When it's jagging around a bit you're always thinking 'play with soft hands, don't go hard at it'. Then you get one you should get a big stride in and smother the movement but you're found wanting with footwork.

Ruckus

International Captain

That might be true, but I reckon it's pretty harsh to target him in this test. Whilst it isn't a minefield, the ball is still seaming around plenty especially with for the SA bowlers. Add to that the ridiculous amount of wickets that of fallen and the rapid pace of play in general, and it would be pretty damn hard work out there to organise your game.

Spark

Global Moderator
Yeah but it's what the balls have done before that though. When it's jagging around a bit you're always thinking 'play with soft hands, don't go hard at it'. Then you get one you should get a big stride in and smother the movement but you're found wanting with footwork.
That's true, but that's what batting in tough bowling conditions is meant to be about. And almost everyone has been sorely, sorely exposed in the last two days.

Not saying it's easy ofc, just saying that there is a big element of batsmen bringing it on themselves.