• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

vic_orthdox

Global Moderator
I don't really mind the appointment, simply because I wouldn't want the results of the series coming up to overly affect the process of us getting the best available coach.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah you couldn't appoint Rixon etc who will be applying for the job, so Cooley makes sense.

Andre

International Regular
Reckon Wade is a great prospect with the bat. His big issue is that his glovework isn't particularly great.

While his batting is better than Paine's the gap between them is not as large as the gap between their work behind the stumps with Paine a fair way ahead.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Hope langer gets the top job.

Great track record, really deserves it. Hayddos to be his right hand man

Spikey

hey i'm the guy who complains about that

if you think about paine has had a NSW player-like run with the selectors.

- his test debut last year like 2 months after hartley was named shield player of the season for his awesome season
- the previously mentioned wasted WC spot. it was pretty annoying to know we were wasting a spot on him while dragging dirk nannes around as 16th hoping for tait to die or something.....plus wade's better
- captain of aus a
- that 2 game spell as VC of aus T20 team

this would be ok if he was actually from nsw. as it is. damn you chappell!

Last edited:

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Paine looked pretty solid in India and did fairly well. Lets remember one of his 4 tests involved Australia getting bowled out for 88. Haven't seen him play at State level though.

uvelocity

International Coach
A little surprised myself too. Whilst accepting he's only a stop gap, the impression I've garnered from up here was that his stock wasn't that high, hence the stunting aside to the academy.
I hope director of the coaching of our next crop isn't seen as a hiding place for dud coaches eh?

Spikey

So Warner, Finch, SOK, M.Marsh, Cummins, Pattinson, White & Dussey will be missing the first game of the Shield season to play in 2 meaningless T20's. + Wade. And in the case of Cummins, Warner and Pattinson we're dragging them around for the whole OD tour too. At least Dussey got dropped from the OD team.

Sylvester

State Captain
Ah dammit forgot about the T20s when thinking of players pushing for their spots via Shield cricket. Although realistically none of them would have been in line for the Test squad well maybe Pattinson but he was in the last squad anyway.

Over to the side, they sure do rate Marsh as he has done nothing of note in T20. Hopefully only a couple of games for Cummins, we don't want to be over working him into an injury. Would have liked Warner to have one good season with NSW before the ODI recall but good luck to him on this run if he gets into the starting 11. Ferguson has completely dropped off the radar though, if anyone should have replaced Dussey it was him.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Ah dammit forgot about the T20s when thinking of players pushing for their spots via Shield cricket. Although realistically none of them would have been in line for the Test squad well maybe Pattinson but he was in the last squad anyway.

Over to the side, they sure do rate Marsh as he has done nothing of note in T20. Hopefully only a couple of games for Cummins, we don't want to be over working him into an injury. Would have liked Warner to have one good season with NSW before the ODI recall but good luck to him on this run if he gets into the starting 11. Ferguson has completely dropped off the radar though, if anyone should have replaced Dussey it was him.
Yeah, he only averages 40+ in the format.

Spikey

Warner averaged 18 last season in OD......It's higher than I thought it would be

adub

International Captain
I'm concerned about the unseemly haste with Cummins frankly (and M Marsh to be fair). He's a prospect, but he's raw as.

Good to see Bollinger getting a bit of recognition.

Spark

Global Moderator
Hmmm... Cummins a great prospect and all but it will be beyond strange if his first List A wicket comes against South Africa.

Spikey

Oh sh - that changes everything. Drop MJ. We need Cummins to take an ODI wicket this tour. For the lulz.

Nice to see that part of the Argus review about picking players based on their performances has been completely ignored