• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** Australia in South Africa

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
He's actually a reasonable batsman, has done little at this level, done okay in the One Dayers. I believe he has a pair to his credit even in these early days
Not just any pair, but a King Pair when he wasted a review in each knock.

miscer

U19 Cricketer
didn't read any posts ITT but all i want to say is I hope imran tahir rips through australia. I am so rooting for the guy! Also want to see ricky ponting destroy steyn. But I also want to see steyn destroying australia in general though.

So over all 1-1 or 2-0 to SAF. With a match-winning 2nd innings 100 for ricky and a 5+ wicket haul for steyn (preferably in the same innings) and a 10 wicket match for tahir. :)
u just keep watching. steyn will get his 5th wicket. then 2nd innings ponting unleashes hell.

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
The Kotla test may have seen its ups and downs ending with a result and favouring one's team, yet as a cricketing spectacle, just one day of the test between Australia and South Africa had so much more to offer. Superb new ball bowling including one of the modern greats amongst fast bowlers and a fighting innings of rare quality made it just the stuff test cricket needs to provide. I wrote on the India-West Indies thread about how disappointing the first day's fare was thanks to the slow low wicket and I was given stats to show why Kotla is one of the best wickets in the world.

I wish India had fast bowlers like Steyn and company and wickets like the one at Newland and Indian pacemen made it a habit of firing out top batsmen with fiery stuff like this. It will do wonders not just for the game but in making the Indian spectators (the most influential group for the well being of the global game sadly) more discerning and appreciative of bowling skills as well.

But how are we going to get good wickets and fiery fast bowlers . . . its a chicken and egg story al over again . . .

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Thoroughly great viewing, and a good looking ground and coverage too, which can't be said of the Delhi test- horrible commentary, worst looking ground I've ever seen on tv, and less said about the pitch the better....

SJS

Hall of Fame Member
Thoroughly great viewing, and a good looking ground and coverage too, which can't be said of the Delhi test- horrible commentary, worst looking ground I've ever seen on tv, and less said about the pitch the better....
You said it.

Kotla used to be a small ground with uncovered concrete steps that went for stands but it had a quaint Victorian style small pavillion when we played there in the 60's and 70's. The wicket was a batsman's paradise with true bounce and tall scores were the order of the day with some turn on the fourth and fifth day. Mostly you could plonk your foot down the wicket and drive through the line.

The capacity of the stadium was small ad the facilities for the public non-existent but it was not the hideous monstrosity that they have turned it into after spending millions on it. It is amazing. If there was a worldwide competition on the ugliest sports facility on the planet Kotla would win it hands down.

Of course the commentary on Indian channels is best with the mute on :-)

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Watching the highlights. Observations as follows:

* Finally we have HDTV in South Africa
* Philander has breasts but can get the ball to do things
* Only been watching five minutes and it's already better than every ODI since the summer
* I love watching an actual bat-ball contest for once
* This must classify as a greentop? If it isn't I'm not sure what is
* It's not going to be entertaining to bat on come day five. If there is a day five.

Woodster

International Captain
Yes agree with all the posts saying this opening day has been more of a spectacle than any of the four in Delhi. A pitch such as the one at Newlands just makes for much more entertaining cricket, the inconsistent may be a bit worrying on day one, but at least there is enough in it for everyone concerned. Quicks are getting seam movement, some good carry through to the keeper, can test a batsman's courage with the short stuff. Batsmen that weigh up the situation, such as Clarke, and bat appropriately can score runs, but they will have to earn them.

It's a good contest, roll on day two! Looking forward to seeing Hashim bat!

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Is it just me or does the stand at Delhi look like half of it's collapsed in an earthquake but no-one could be bothered fixing it?

keeper

U19 Vice-Captain
Saffers not afraid to produce wickets with a bit ofe made some spice in. I've thought for a while they've made some of the best around and a refreshing change to some of the uniformity elsewhere.

Excellent coments from SJS above. Surely not in India's interests to develop an entrenched mentality based on being strong at home in traditional Indian conditions. They should be capable of much more.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Saffers not afraid to produce wickets with a bit ofe made some spice in. I've thought for a while they've made some of the best around and a refreshing change to some of the uniformity elsewhere.

Excellent coments from SJS above. Surely not in India's interests to develop an entrenched mentality based on being strong at home in traditional Indian conditions. They should be capable of much more.
They can't really be said to play in "traditional" Indian conditions - when was the last time a pitch in India took a serious amount of turn and was difficult to play on?

NasserFan207

International Vice-Captain
What has this test match got to do with Indian cricket?

Philander definitely looks on the heavy side, he's always been a talented but lazy cricketer imo

adub

International Captain
****, shame I missed most of this.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - M Clarke is a No.5 batsman. It doesn't make any sense at all and moving up to 4 should have absolutely no effect whatsoever, except for the fact it does. If anyone tries to move his arse out of 5 for the rest of his career they should be made to do something really really horrible that they won't like at all, for a very long time, until they die. It's just a law of nature - Clarke bats 5.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
****, shame I missed most of this.

I've said it before and I'll say it again - M Clarke is a No.5 batsman. It doesn't make any sense at all and moving up to 4 should have absolutely no effect whatsoever, except for the fact it does. If anyone tries to move his arse out of 5 for the rest of his career they should be made to do something really really horrible that they won't like at all, for a very long time, until they die. It's just a law of nature - Clarke bats 5.
Pah, he's obviously too soft to bat higher up the order. You'd never catch Steve Waugh or Allan Border hiding at 5. :p

Woodster

International Captain
I don't believe you can bat at five but not make it at four. He showed today he can deal with a ball zipping around, if he feels more comfortable at five, then I'm sure he'll stay there, while Ricky Ponting is in the side anyway. When Ponting retires then surely Clarke will move up a spot and allow a younger bat to settle into the side further down the order.