Page 11 of 513 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161111511 ... LastLast

Thread: ***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by centurymaker View Post
    If this series were to be played against some other country, I wouldn't pick johnson tbh.

What's happened to Bollinger? Is he no longer fit enough for tests? He was superb back in 2010.
    He had fitness issues last summer, played Adelaide and died in the arse while bowling, after coming back from a side strain suffered in the first test of the Indian tour. He fell out of favour after that.
    Last edited by Burgey; 23-09-2011 at 02:33 AM.
    WWCC - Loyaulte Mi Lie
    "People make me happy.. not places.. people"

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life." - Samuel Johnson

"Hope is the fuel of progress and fear is the prison in which you put yourself" - Tony Benn

Cricket Web Staff Member Burgey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Bresnan is a class act though, others mentioned apart from Warne aren't.

Obviously Warne is a world beater.
    Oh I think Bresnan is a very good bowler.

But then Johnson looked a million bucks in SA last time we toured there.

I actually think Johnson's best chance of performing decently over the medium term, is if he's operating in an attack with the likes of Harris and Copeland, who are very disciplined bowlers. Lets him run in and bowl, not worry about being "the leader", or getting caught between trying to bowl accurately and try and be something other than what he is - a fairly enigmatic performer.

Having said that he should go in favour of Dougeh, I should say I thought he bowled better than his figures suggested in SL just gone.
    Last edited by Burgey; 23-09-2011 at 02:37 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by arachnodouche View Post
    sa are so so heavily dependent on the two quickies. An injury to either rules out any chance of them bowling out a decent opposition for an acceptable score. Australia have a more balanced attack in terms of pace at least + lyon/hauritz are bit more of a proven quantity than tahir though his subcontinental skills could play a role.
    lmao

Quote Originally Posted by Spikey View Post
    Ok but all of that list Dougeh has by far the best record

well perhaps not far, but he's clearly got the wood on Hilf and Siddle
    Two things: Doug bullied Pakistan and West Indies, and you don't see the players or anyone in the hierarchy wanting him back. Cricket Australia obviously have to take some responsibility for what happened, but the longer that this goes on, the more that you have to start thinking that he didn't take the personal responsibility to get himself as right as he could be, and that his team-mates felt let down by that. He's never had the reputation for being the hardest worker.

It also makes me laugh that Brad Haddin kicked up a stink about being dropped from the T20 side at the beginning of this year, only to retire a few months later after getting a recall. A lot of ego about that, for a guy with not much of a T20 record to speak about.

Random thought:

It strikes me as unfair that Tsotsobe is regarded as hopeless based on him being a very good ODI bowler that's played a handful of mediocre Tests; while Tahir is regarded as the answer to SA's spin problems based on him being a very good ODI bowler that's never played a Test.
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Random thought:

It strikes me as unfair that Tsotsobe is regarded as hopeless based on him being a very good ODI bowler that's played a handful of mediocre Tests; while Tahir is regarded as the answer to SA's spin problems based on him being a very good ODI bowler that's never played a Test.
    It's aesthetics, really. Even when he was bowling well in ODIs, Tsotsobe never really looked like he'd be a penetrative Test bowler. I don't think it's really based on failing in Tests, as such.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

International Coach flibbertyjibber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    Oh I think Bresnan is a very good bowler.

But then Johnson looked a million bucks in SA last time we toured there.

I actually think Johnson's best chance of performing decently over the medium term, is if he's operating in an attack with the likes of Harris and Copeland, who are very disciplined bowlers. Lets him run in and bowl, not worry about being "the leader", or getting caught between trying to bowl accurately and try and be something other than what he is - a fairly enigmatic performer.

Having said that he should go in favour of Dougeh, I should say I thought he bowled better than his figures suggested in SL just gone.
    Agree with all of that, Johnson is a matchwinner and if Harris and Copeland play there should be less pressure on him. I think it has got to the stage though that he puts too much pressure on himself now and underperforms. maybe the happy hunting ground of SA will spark him into life again.

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    It also makes me laugh that Brad Haddin kicked up a stink about being dropped from the T20 side at the beginning of this year, only to retire a few months later after getting a recall. A lot of ego about that, for a guy with not much of a T20 record to speak about.
    So glad he's gone from at least one format. He's the one who came out and said that his arm was so bad that he could hardly hold the bat during the World T20's last time. AFTER the tournament. He's a very unreliable person.

Apo
    Banned
    Time to blood in Tim Paine in all 3 formats, Haddin's time has long passed.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Apo View Post
    Time to blood in Tim Paine in all 3 formats, Haddin's time has long passed.
    Uhhh he's not very popular in this forum with people that follow first class cricket. I brought him up too once and it turned into Tim Paine bashing. He doesn't have a very good FC record from what it seems like. I think people here would rather have Matthew Wade.

Then again Marsh was getting about the same type of treatment....
    Last edited by BlazeDragon; 23-09-2011 at 05:55 PM.

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by flibbertyjibber View Post
    Agree with all of that, Johnson is a matchwinner and if Harris and Copeland play there should be less pressure on him. I think it has got to the stage though that he puts too much pressure on himself now and underperforms. maybe the happy hunting ground of SA will spark him into life again.
    This is the main problem with Johnson. The bloke's a zombie. If a doctor let a patient flatline as long as Johnson does before 'coming to life' he'd be de-registered.

Hopefully he does something again in SA, it gets frustrating having to rely on a wing and a prayer with him though.
    "What is this what is this who is this guy shouting what is this going on in here?" - CP. (re: psxpro)

R.I.P Craigos, you were a champion bloke. One of the best

R.I.P Fardin 'Bob' Qayyumi

Member of the Church of the Holy Glenn McGrath

"How about you do something contstructive in this forum for once and not fill the forum with ****. You offer nothing." - theegyptian.

Stranger leering through a pair of binoculars
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    This is the main problem with Johnson. The bloke's a zombie. If a doctor let a patient flatline as long as Johnson does before 'coming to life' he'd be de-registered.

Hopefully he does something again in SA, it gets frustrating having to rely on a wing and a prayer with him though.
    But don't you know, the guy is a match winner...
    Mark Waugh
    "He's [Michael Clarke] on Twitter saying sorry for not walking? Mate if he did that in our side there'd be hell to play. AB would chuck his Twitter box off the balcony or whatever it is. Sorry for not walking? Jesus Christ man."
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit. Wisdom is knowing not to put it into a fruit salad
    RIP Craigos

Hall of Fame Member Son Of Coco's Avatar
    I now realise that when Dennis Lillee described Johnson as a 'once in a lifetime bowler' that he was actually talking about how often he'd perform.

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Son Of Coco View Post
    I now realise that when Dennis Lillee described Johnson as a 'once in a lifetime bowler' that he was actually talking about how often he'd perform.
    This deserves a round of applause
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

Thread Information