Page 103 of 513 FirstFirst ... 35393101102103104105113153203 ... LastLast
Results 1,531 to 1,545 of 7692

Thread: ***Official*** Australia in South Africa

Quote Originally Posted by Burgey View Post
    This is where Hoggy was so good down the order. Gave us so much depth.
    Hoggy is one of the most underrated ODI players of all time. He was good with both bat and ball and more important, made the transition away from Warne in ODIs completely seamless. Not many people can do that when replacing one of the top bowlers of all time.

In other news, Hussey has proven once again just what an asset he is to the Australian batting lineup. If we'd picked him in the 2005 Ashes things may have gone differently (seriously, how did we wait until he was 30 YEARS OLD before we picked him?).

Lol at Duminy getting two wickets. Can't bat, so might as well bowl.

Next up: the most tantalisingly short test match series since the two test series between India and SA.

Hussey what a machine!

Good result, but what happened to Ponting getting man of the series? Haha good one Clarkey.

International Vice-Captain centurymaker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    I have seriously ominous vibes coming off Kallis. We're gonna sit here for hours wondering how the **** we're meant to get the **** out.
    nah he usually doesn't do well against aus, especially at home.
    Proud Supporter of All Blacks

On balance SA competed quite well without de Villiers given the balance he affords them but with Australia #1 ranked team in the world they were always expected to win, despite having the contest taken to them. SA batted too slowly, oz was more disciplined. SA never seems to win in Durban either.

Pretty lean day for the batsmen when 49 is the best innings of the day. SA's pacemen leaked too many runs. Even the young Cummins showed greater overall control than Morkel and Tsotsobe. Interesting to see if Steyn ups his pace for the test series.

Interesting to see if Australia keeps its long unbeaten test series run in SA intact. Clarke wouldn't want to be the captain to dent Aussie pride with a loss. Looks like SA still hasn't shaken off the cobwebs though. Amla's first series ends in a loss. Sounds like he doesn't want the captaincy though.

Good to see Steve Smith banished. Think also SA's Smith might have played his last limited overs match; he seems to be almost past it and overweight.

Cricket Champion! Jackpot Champion!
    I have seriously ominous vibes coming off Kallis. We're gonna sit here for hours wondering how the **** we're meant to get the **** out.
    Like this.
    I think there'll sooner be another Bradman than another Warne. - Gidgeon Haigh

[Warne is] the greatest bowler ever produced in this entire world - Muttiah Muralidaran

[Warne is] the greatest bowler of all time - Glenn McGrath

In my opinion Shane Warne is the greatest cricketer who's ever lived - Ian Botham

Warne is the greatest cricketer to pick up a ball ever.
    And is the greatest bowler I have ever laid eyes on. - Brian Lara

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Hoggy is one of the most underrated ODI players of all time. He was good with both bat and ball and more important, made the transition away from Warne in ODIs completely seamless. Not many people can do that when replacing one of the top bowlers of all time.

In other news, Hussey has proven once again just what an asset he is to the Australian batting lineup. If we'd picked him in the 2005 Ashes things may have gone differently (seriously, how did we wait until he was 30 YEARS OLD before we picked him?).

Lol at Duminy getting two wickets. Can't bat, so might as well bowl.
    Easy. For WA:

95/96 41.08
    96/97 46.4
    97/98 43.4
    98/99 41.2
    99/00 51
    00/01 30.25
    01/02 34.5
    02/03 38.2
    03/04 41.77
    04/05 55.46

In an era where you had multiple guys lining up multiple 1000+ seasons and averaging 55+, those numbers were never going to get him in the team ahead of Langer/Taylor/Blewett/Elliott/Slater (without checking, don't think he got past 1000 once in that time). When he'd go and bash around attacks in England and average 60+ but then only score against weak attacks here, made him look like a bully rather than a gun.

Less about statistics but he had very few shots for a long time too. Got bogged down a lot because he'd be looking for balls to smash for 4 in the 3rd man/cover arc so, well, bowlers just didn't give him width. When he was in the midst of the really low patch above, WA threw him down the order in OD's where he simply had to play more shots and be more risky in general. Transformed his game.

tl; dr, he didn't deserve to get picked before '05.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 28-10-2011 at 10:07 PM.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Request Your Custom Title Now! Spikey's Avatar
    top cat with the truth bomb
    Indians can't bowl - Where has the rumour come from as I myself and many indian friends arwe competent fast bowlers ?

With the English bid I said: Let us be brief. If you give back the Falkland Islands, which belong to us, you will get my vote. They then became sad and left

Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    Easy. For WA:

95/96 41.08
    96/97 46.4
    97/98 43.4
    98/99 41.2
    99/00 51
    00/01 30.25
    01/02 34.5
    02/03 38.2
    03/04 41.77
    04/05 55.46

In an era where you had multiple guys lining up multiple 1000+ seasons and averaging 55+, those numbers were never going to get him in the team ahead of Langer/Taylor/Blewett/Elliott/Slater (without checking, don't think he got past 1000 once in that time). When he'd go and bash around attacks in England and average 60+ but then only score against weak attacks here, made him look like a bully rather than a gun.

Less about statistics but he had very few shots for a long time too. Got bogged down a lot because he'd be looking for balls to smash for 4 in the 3rd man/cover arc so, well, bowlers just didn't give him width. When he was in the midst of the really low patch above, WA threw him down the order in OD's where he simply had to play more shots and be more risky in general. Transformed his game.

tl; dr, he didn't deserve to get picked before '05.
    Well and truly transformed himself now though. I would say Hussey is the most versatile batsman in Australia, where he can change his game dramitically to fit any situation. He also works incredibly hard on his game, good on him.
    Learn how to play great cricket.

Take more wickets with better cricket bowling technique.

International Vice-Captain robelinda's Avatar
    My Youtube cricket channels, thousands of gold old videos

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda2

http://www.youtube.com/user/robelinda

It's the first ODI series win for Aust. against SA in four series. Proteas seem to be struggling a bit in this format atm, with guys like du Plessis in the middle order when you need a finisher or hitter. Too much of the same. If old man Hussey can still steer his team home you'd think they would have someone else to fill that role. They've lost faith in Albie.

Cummins seems faster than Steyn atm. Morkel lacks consistency in this format.

Harris will really strengthen the Aussie attack who should enjoy a bowling edge over their counterparts with Johnson loving SA pitches and greater depth to call upon.
    Last edited by Briony; 28-10-2011 at 10:51 PM.

State Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by stephen View Post
    Next up: the most tantalisingly short test match series since the two test series between India and SA.
    given the oodles of time between the odi matches, they could easily have scheduled another test. or, at the very least, made it a 5 odi series.
    i know i am god. since when i pray i find i am talking to myself.

(massive apologies to barnes)

U19 Vice-Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Redbacks View Post
    Think he means the 3rd ODI, we were crusing to a win:

-Marsh tried to late cut a ball on middle stump
    -Haddin had a brain fart with Steyn having 7 balls remaining, and then
    -Mitch played one of the loosest shots of all time having a wild whoosh outside off leaving Cummins in the hot seat.
    Hasn't Marsh got out that way in every innings of the tour so far? It felt like ground hog day. He must be a slow learner.

Johnson will wreck him.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Also reckon against teams with attitude Kallis needs a strong partner. If Amla doesn't score runs with ABDev being out and Smith being ****, I get the feeling the pressure of being the go-to guy will curtail his scoring somewhat.
    Last edited by Top_Cat; 29-10-2011 at 03:38 AM.

Thread Information