• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Scott Muller - remember him ?

Salamuddin

International Debutant
Muller has been one of top three wicket takers in Brisbane
first grade for the last couple of seasons and yet can't even
find a place in the Queensland train-on squad.

Funny, isn't it, he spoke out against Warne and then he was slowly eased out from both the national and state teams.

And to think politics only existed on the subcontinent.....

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
To be fair, the guy had a constant vendetta against Warne and never admitted that he wasn't actually guilty...

Salamuddin

International Debutant
vendetta

What's that got to do with not even being in the state squad ?
Warne doesn't play for Queensland.

Anyway, it was never proved Warne didn't say it.
All we had was that rubbish with Channel nine wheeling out a cameraman to admit he said "can't bowl can't throw", so that their contract with tehir blue eyed shane warne would be kept intact.

My point is the Australian Cricket Board destroyed the career of a young criketer just to save that goose, Warne

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
Corey, clear up the Warne/Cameraman Joe story would you?

I find it difficult to believe that everything's down to that one incident. Maybe he doesn't want a state contract (hypothetical as I have no knowledge of Aussie local cricket)

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Re: vendetta

jamesryfler said:
What's that got to do with not even being in the state squad ?
Warne doesn't play for Queensland.

Anyway, it was never proved Warne didn't say it.
All we had was that rubbish with Channel nine wheeling out a cameraman to admit he said "can't bowl can't throw", so that their contract with tehir blue eyed shane warne would be kept intact.

My point is the Australian Cricket Board destroyed the career of a young criketer just to save that goose, Warne
my guess is that he just didn't know when to keep his mouth shut

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And to think politics only existed on the subcontinent.....
You're joking, right? Just look at the WACA if you want to see politics and look up their treatment of guys like Graeme Wood, Tim Zoehrer, Tom Moody and Brendon Julian.

Corey, clear up the Warne/Cameraman Joe story would you?
It was Steve Waugh, guys. Don't ask me about sources because I won't give them. Just know that I'm sure.

It *is* a bit strange that someone would play Test cricket one year and then not be in his state squad the next year but Scott Muller's obsession with the fact that Warnie supposedly said the phrase was part of the reason a lot of guys didn't like him. Maybe he came across as so bitter that players were insisting on not playing with him.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Top_Cat said:
It was Steve Waugh, guys. Don't ask me about sources because I won't give them. Just know that I'm sure.
Errmm , ok , curiosity overcomes me so I will have to ask for sources regardless of the fact you will almost indefinately not provide them.

Shame about Muller though because when he got it right he could be one hell of a good bowler , however you would have to admit he didnt really bowl as well as he could have in those two matches & that with the Queensland pace attack starting to age a little then younger options are required , Johnson could be a much better bowler than him anyway.

age_master

Hall of Fame Member
Top_Cat said:
I always thought the *** and phone *** things were a matter between him and his wife but if he was harrassing someone, that's a different matter and should be a matter for the courts, not trial by media.

exactly. if he wants to screw up his marriage, thats between him and his wife, nothing to do with others, if he wants to harrass someone its between him and them, and if they want to take if farther, the courts. noone else should be involved. its really none of our business how he behaves himself in private.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The reason why he is not in the state squad is because he is injury prone (I don't even think he's playing for the Gold Coast this year, but I could be wrong). He is also not that young, I think he was 28 or 29 when he made his debut against Pakistan at the Gabba in 1999, so that would make him 32 or 33 now.

Queensland have too many young up-and-coming quicks to carry someone like Scott Muller, although if Kaspa and Bichel play alot more international cricket we could do with the experience. But Mitchell Johnson looked good in the first ING cup game (although it was against Tasmania) and Dawes and Jurgensen have a fair bit of experience, so we should do okay. Anyway, when we get Kaspa back we will just rip through batting orders.

As far as the "can't bowl, can't throw". I find it hard to believe it wasn't Warne. This guy has no credibility left, drug cheat, match information, phone ***, message ***, he's done it all. The sooner he admits to it, the better. It was like he was the principal's son and the principal (Cricket Australia) has blamed the librarian (Joe the Camerman) for saying something his son said so his son doesn't get suspended.

Mister Wright

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Didn't the cameraman own up though?
Yes, to keep his job!

Just think about it - how many times have we heard cameramen during coverage of the cricket? And how many times have we heard players through stump mikes?

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Queensland have too many young up-and-coming quicks to carry someone like Scott Muller, although if Kaspa and Bichel play alot more international cricket we could do with the experience. But Mitchell Johnson looked good in the first ING cup game (although it was against Tasmania) and Dawes and Jurgensen have a fair bit of experience, so we should do okay. Anyway, when we get Kaspa back we will just rip through batting orders.
And that's always been the big problem as a quick for QLD. Once you reach 28-30, there's always a bunch of younger and faster bowlers vying for your place. Must be a tough life being a fast bowler in QLD!

I much preferred being one in SA where quick bowlers are a little more scarce!

As far as the "can't bowl, can't throw". I find it hard to believe it wasn't Warne. This guy has no credibility left, drug cheat, match information, phone ***, message ***, he's done it all. The sooner he admits to it, the better. It was like he was the principal's son and the principal (Cricket Australia) has blamed the librarian (Joe the Camerman) for saying something his son said so his son doesn't get suspended.
Warnie didn't say it. I personally didn't think it even sounded like Warne at all. I wouldn't expect you to trust someone you don't know on a cricket forum on the net but still, the facts don't change.

Calling him a drug cheat is a little harsh, though. He didn't take a performance-enhancing drug and there's no evidence he was taking anything really bad. You can be sure, though, that if it's found he was taking something like a steroid or HGH, I'd be the first to condemn him.

I always thought the *** and phone *** things were a matter between him and his wife but if he was harrassing someone, that's a different matter and should be a matter for the courts, not trial by media.

Craig

World Traveller
This has been Queensland's pace attack in the last couple of years: Dale (ok not quick and should have moved to Yorkshire where conditions would of suited him down to the ground), Kaspawrocz, Bichel, Johnson, Brant (who probably would be in the Zimbabwean team if he didnt leave Zimbabwe), McKenzie etc. and it is common for Queensland to play an all-seam line-up at the 'Gabba - and it works.

So competition among pace bowlers is tough!

I know Mitch Johnson is highly rated by Dennis Lilliee

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Andre said:
For the record - Muller has retired.
Now, Andre - all this speculation and you knew that all along!8D
Slightly surprises me that no-one else did, though.

Andre

International Regular
Ah, you see Richard, I read that Muller retired when reading a feature about him.

It was one of the best articles I have read too.

It was called 'Can't Bowl, Can't Throw, Can't Let Go.'

See if you can find it on the net somewhere.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
I have tried, can't find it anywhere.
Will try again, but not holding-out too much hope.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Andre said:
For the record - Muller has retired.
Funny , I read some article in the paper back around May saying that he had put the whole Warne thing behind him & was keen on regaining a place in the Queensland squad , he's actually retired before though if my memory serves me correctly , in about 1998 , then he returned again though.