• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** DRS discussion thread

UDRS?

• Total voters

honestbharani

Whatever it takes!!!
So this 3rd umpire will be guessing using his eyes, looking at a monitor? And you want to see that? That is acceptable to you?

We have access to a high powered computer that can almost instantly use the principle of triangulation to interpret data provided by four or more high speed cameras!
I work in technology and I Know for a fact how often they go wrong and how much repair work goes on.. Simple programmed robots do things wrong for no rhyme or reason... It is one thing to trust technology to show what happened, totally different one when you try to build in AI into it to make guesses and predictions. The former is proven to work and the latter is still work in progress...

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
The LBW rule itself is based on a GUESS. The genius idea of yours is to simply have technology make that GUESS instead of Human Beings but the point of most people is, the technology seems to be just as flawed as any human mind when it comes to these guesses.
Could you actually back one of your arguments up with something other than hearsay. This is BCCI level criticism so far.

In general it's not that difficult to predict the path of the ball when your tracking is as accurate as it is shown for Hawkeye. Seeing the ball bounce and joining the dots for the height when it passes the stumps is not difficult, yet people still constantly criticise Hawkeye on it. We know that there is a bigger margin of error where the ball pitched close to the point of contact, we can figure out other things that will make the margin bigger. But that isn't the issue here. People are making baseless statements about not trusting the bounce, or nonsense about it being a guess that is as flawed as a human...

hazsa19

International Regular
The LBW rule itself is based on a GUESS. The genius idea of yours is to simply have technology make that GUESS instead of Human Beings but the point of most people is, the technology seems to be just as flawed as any human mind when it comes to these guesses.
This would be interesting if it wasn't completely wrong

hazsa19

International Regular
I work in technology and I Know for a fact how often they go wrong and how much repair work goes on.. Simple programmed robots do things wrong for no rhyme or reason... It is one thing to trust technology to show what happened, totally different one when you try to build in AI into it to make guesses and predictions. The former is proven to work and the latter is still work in progress...
Technology going wrong/ breaking from time to time is a very different argument to the one you have been making. I would hope that technicians identify when things go wrong and work hard to ensure that specific problem doesn't happen again.

That does not mean it should not be used. Find me a technology that never ever breaks down for whatever reason? Technology is still more reliable that humans.

wellAlbidarned

International Coach
No, the main problem with hawkeye is it cannot simulate the amount of swing/seam/spin on a ball, esp. the ones that hit an impact close to where it pitched..
The LBW rule states that when the batsman is hit on the full (or very close to it) the umpire must assume that the ball would travel straight on.

Hawkeye doesn't need to be able to predict stuff like that because it hasn't happened.

uvelocity

International Coach
I think he is thinking of one like what was seen in the Aus V SL tour in Galle, Dilshan to Hughes - where the ball pitched and spun sharply before hitting the batsman's pad very close to the pitch of the ball. Hawkeye said the ball was going straight on.

super poor quality video: AUS vs SL 1st Test Day-2 HIGHLIGHT - YouTube @8:40

dilshan bowls off spin, but you can see the predicted path was straight.

uvelocity

International Coach
serious? this is like calling the sky green

Dilshan to Hughes, OUT, Dilshan gets Hughes, who falls leg before on the sweep, Australia go for the review, it was flighted full around off stump, Hughes went down for the swing but missed, the ball seemed to straighten sharply on the replay, would that have missed off, but the ball tracker shows it going straight on with the angle and hitting leg stump, hmm, Hughes is gone anyways

PJ Hughes lbw b Dilshan 28 (63m 51b 3x4 1x6) SR: 54.90

ftr I think it was out anyway, but the ball tracking was beyond doubt clearly wrong

uvelocity

International Coach
for sure. i just can't believe anyone could have a differing opinion in that particular instance.

But I think there are LBW's being given by hawkeye that were never given out in the past, and are never given all through the lower levels of cricket.

I agree with having a third umpire get rid of the howlers but I'm not liking hawkeye for deciding if its LBW or not

KiWiNiNjA

International Coach
So it was a tracking mistake. How many of those have we had over the last couple of years?

Probably similar to the amount of umpiring mistakes we get in a single test.

Why go all half-arsed with technology though? There would be no consistency.
I'm yet to hear an argument other than "the path looked wrong when I looked at a 2D representation of what happened".