• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** DRS discussion thread

UDRS?

• Total voters

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I really think when it comes to catches that it should go to what the fielder says. Sure you can check, but if you can't prove he grassed it then the batsman should go.

Otherwise I think it should always go to the batsman, ala edges, lbw, runouts.
I don't think that we should depend on cricketers' honesty to make decisions, ever...not only because it'll be unfair but also because dishonest cricketers will get a free lunch over honest ones. Benefit of doubt going to batsman seems about fine to me.

It's about the difference between what we call type I error and type II error in statistics. For example, a high court judge can commit two types of error - he can declare a guilty as innocent, or he can declare an innocent as guilty. In case of doubts, one among the two errors should be considered 'not as bad' as the other, keeping the consequences in mind. In law (generally), the first type of errors are considered worse than the second. Hence in case of doubts (/without some substantial and material proof), you can't declare one as guilty.

Last edited:

99*

International Debutant
Only decision I thought was weird was the Lyon LBW iirc.

Hawkeye showed the ball hitting his leg outside off, when the camera view showed it hitting at worst on leg. Unless that camera was on an angle then I don't see how it was called as it was.

Sylvester

State Captain
One thing I'd like cleared up is are Channel 9 using Hawk Eye or Eagle Eye. They were using Eagle Eye for the Ashes and I don't believe Channel 9 switched back to Hawk Eye.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
So what was the problem? Couldn't really get it following on radio.
basically the theory - i think - is that 'eye was saying stuff landed a bit more to the right than it actually did. eg with lyon's lbw. maybe it didn't pitch outside leg like it tells us. With hussey maybe it was just missing leg.

Sylvester

State Captain
There was no prediction involved with the Lyon one where he was given out. All Eagle Eye was doing was drawing a zone between wicket to wicket and using known data to show where the ball landed. Would be a worry if that one was wrong.

Last edited:

straw man

Hall of Fame Member
There was no prediction involved with the Lyon one where he was given out. All Eagle Eye was doing was drawing a zone between wicket to wicket and using known data to show where the ball landed. Would be a worry if that one was wrong.
Yeah that was the part where I thought it was fairly questionable. Sure, the shaded in-line-with-stumps area shown on the pitch by Channel 9 might have been a bit out and maybe that affected our perceptions, but would need to see again for sure. I thought the ball tracking looked suss.

I'm usually very in favour of DRS. But I can also easily see how a slight miscalibration or a little sloppyness when setting up the cameras (perhaps if done by a smaller company with less quality control), could lead to noticeable errors.

Last edited:

Sylvester

State Captain
Well I was reading this from Hawk Eye and they do mention any doubts casted by the commentators is looked in to. Would be good to see any mistakes they find.