• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** DRS discussion thread

UDRS?

• Total voters

Prince EWS

Global Moderator
Human umpiring in its present form is Dodgy, so NO, not in favor of human umpiring.

I guess we're down to the honour system then. After all, that certainly isn't dodgy.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Love the BCCI secretary's comments.

"We don't want to use it, we're not convinced by the technology and we don't trust it."

"Well, there's a series being played in Australia using the technology, why don't you come over and see how it's used and the benefits it has for Test cricket."

"No, cbf. Don't like it."

It's pathetic that series against India will be played under different conditions. If India refuse to use the system then matches involving India shouldn't have Test status.

What has ICC done to test the UDRS in domestic games in India ? As a fan of Cricket I am not convinced by the technology either. "It is better than the on field umpire" argument is not enough for me.

And going by the reaction of Ricky Ponting in the Ashes, it didn't seem like he trusted the technology much., Did He ?

Furball

Evil Scotsman
What has ICC done to test the UDRS in domestic games in India ? As a fan of Cricket I am not convinced by the technology either. "It is better than the on field umpire" argument is not enough for me.

And going by the reaction of Ricky Ponting in the Ashes, it didn't seem like he trusted the technology much., Did He ?
That's because Ponting is a buffoon who didn't understand what hotspot showed, despite Aleem Dar repeatedly trying to explain it to him.

The alternative is no UDRS and wrong decisions like Hussey being given out LBW at Brisbane, Cook being given out caught behind off his shoulder early at Adelaide, Clarke not being given out caught late at Adelaide, North being given not out lbw to a ball hitting middle stump late at Adelaide, Watson being given out caught behind off his arse at Perth, and Collingwood not being given out LBW in the middle of an epic collapse at Perth being allowed to stand and potentially altering the course of a series.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
That's because Ponting is a buffoon who didn't understand what hotspot showed, despite Aleem Dar repeatedly trying to explain it to him.
In other words the captain didn't agree with the technology.

The alternative is no UDRS and wrong decisions like Hussey being given out LBW at Brisbane, Cook being given out caught behind off his shoulder early at Adelaide, Clarke not being given out caught late at Adelaide, North being given not out lbw to a ball hitting middle stump late at Adelaide, Watson being given out caught behind off his arse at Perth, and Collingwood not being given out LBW in the middle of an epic collapse at Perth being allowed to stand and potentially altering the course of a series.
I thought they had UDRS in the current series, didn't they ?

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Yeah, Give it completely to Technology, take the human factor out of it, I will favor that.
AWTA. Unfortunately, it can't be all at once so we have to start somewhere. Use the technology that is available now, and hopefully eventually all decisions could potentially be electronic once the speed is there.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Because he was an idiot, not because the technology was flawed.
The technology and the implementation both are faulty. Take the no. of Review system out, it is better. I still do not trust the technology on the close calls (e.g. Lbws) and the one Ponting was mad about. Obviously there was a room for assumption, The technology could not tell me it it was out or not, the decision was taken by the 3rd umpire. It is very much possible that another umpire could have ruled it in Australia's favor.

If you want to implement technology, let technology make the call, Don't use it as a television monitor.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Does the home board have full control over whether it gets used?

What I read about South Africa's efforts to get it employed in this series suggested otherwise to me.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Well defined 'full control'. They certainly could, it depends how much they care about pissing off the BCCI or even if they thing doing it is worth it in terms of risk/reward.

It's a bilateral series, so in an extreme scenario one side could refuse to play if UDRS is implemented/not implemented. I don't know if BCCI would go that far (I'd guess not), and I don't know if ECB would (I'd guess not either). But threatening to go that far would burn some bridges, so depending on how much ECB cares about this, it'll probably just not be used.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Yeah, that's what I figured. Don't think it's fair to say that the ECB should have balls, just ignores the politics and implications of the situation.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
It can esclate it to a bit of a staring contest if both sides cared enough. My guess is neither side does but I'd guess ECB won't want to deal with political ramifications and their good relationship with the BCCI (ECB and BCCI, the two richest boards, are holding the fort against a proper Test championship home and away rotations for all teams due to tv money) over something so silly.

Which by the way is sad. I wish they'd snap out of it - Test championship as proposed by the ACB would be epic.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
AWTA. Unfortunately, it can't be all at once so we have to start somewhere. Use the technology that is available now, and hopefully eventually all decisions could potentially be electronic once the speed is there.
Why can't it be used now in current situation. The 3rd Umpire is an unnecessary human intervention and infact negates all the advantages Technology has to offer when all he is going to do is take a look at the technology and offer his own interpretation of the tough situations (e.g. the one in Australia series).

Let the technology make that decision and declare the outcome out the on the screen, instead of the 3rd umpire pushing the Out/Not Out button. IMO that will be quicker and consistent, both.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Why can't it be used now in current situation. The 3rd Umpire is an unnecessary human intervention and infact negates all the advantages Technology has to offer when all he is going to do is take a look at the technology and offer his own interpretation of the tough situations (e.g. the one in Australia series).

Let the technology make that decision and declare the outcome out the on the screen, instead of the 3rd umpire pushing the Out/Not Out button. IMO that will be quicker and consistent, both.
I don't know what that means.