• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** DRS discussion thread

UDRS?

• Total voters

Furball

Evil Scotsman
From the article on cricinfo:

with Rahul Dravid in particular falling victim to three controversial dismissals.
The above is complete rubbish.

The dismissal where he hit his shoelaces would probably have been reversed had Dravid opted to refer it. This was a case of understandable umpiring error (when a batsman plays at a ball and there's an audible nicking noise as it passes the bat normally it's a safe bet to assume that the sound you've heard is ball hitting bat), real time it just sounded out, and Dravid opted not to refer because Tendulkar had told him that there was a pretty huge noise as the ball passed his bat. The decision to give Dravid out had absolutely nothing to do with the DRS system as it wasn't called for by the batsman, and ironically using the technology would have saved Dravid.

Dravid's dismissal to Swann at the Oval showed up the limitations of hotspot, but given that there was a deflection visible on the slowmotion replays, the third umpire was perfectly entitled to give him out. Dravid himself admitted in interview after the match that he had hit it. So we use technology to ultimately arrive at the correct decision. How is that controversial?

Dravid's dismissal in the ODI series was less clear cut, but on replay there was a massive noise that could only have come from bat hitting ball. IMO, that's fair enough with regards to enough evidence to overturn a not out decision, particularly as the noise that was audible could only have been cause by Dravid hitting the ball. Snicko then confirmed the edge, meaning that once again the correct decision had been arrived at. So where's the controversy there?

Howe_zat

Audio File
You're forgetting, "controversial" in journalist-ese means "at least one tool complained about it".

See also: Tabloids wrt bishops/taxpayers' alliance/global warming deniers

Furball

Evil Scotsman
BCCI was proved right.

Hotspot is dodgy as well..

We need more Dars..
The BCCI made HotSpot a deal-breaker in the negotiations in June so they most certainly have not been proven right.

Even Aleem Dar will make mistakes.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
With Hot Spot being made mandatory, cue members of the BCCI to complain vigorously when the inevitable 'obvious nick which didn't leave a heat signature' appeal pops up and the guy tons up followed by "We never liked URDS in the first place, felt pressured to accept it, IT COSTS $60k PER MINUTE!!!", etc..
Gun prediction from T_C.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
I think I shall like UDRS ONLY IF Simon Taufel is the system operator, Aleem Dar is the third umpire AND GeraintIsMyHero and GingerFurball are the two ground umpires (and Spikey is the one carrying drinks for the umpires once in a while).

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I think I shall like UDRS ONLY IF Simon Taufel is the system operator, Aleem Dar is the third umpire AND GeraintIsMyHero and GingerFurball are the two ground umpires (and Spikey is the one carrying drinks for the umpires once in a while).
You wouldn't have liked that, I'd have given every single Indian batsman out lbw whenever the ball touched their pads.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
No, in my version of the UDRS the only job of the ground umpires will be to tie the shoe-laces of the Indian batsmen...all decisions will be made by third umpire only...

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Don't like the decision to oppose the Hotspot completely tbh.

The third umpires have not followed their directive while using it,more than anything else and have made inconsistent decisions based on next to nothin proof that do not correspond well with other decisions.