• Opposed

13 9.63%
  • BCCI is the best organisation out

10 7.41%
Page 66 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1656646566676876116 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: ***Official*** DRS discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by Bun View Post
    FFS, it made me sit and look up the ****ing HawKEye website for an hour!
    Heaven forbid you actually take a look at the information you're adamantly discussing.

Says it all really.
    Every 5 years we have an election and have to decide who are the least obnoxious out of all the men. Then one gets in and they age really quickly. Which is always fun to watch.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    yyyeah it was an attempted joke.

Bun
    Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    Heaven forbid you actually take a look at the information you're adamantly discussing.

Says it all really.

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    What I find most interesting is that the makers of Virtualeye refuse to plot the trajectory of the ball beyond a certain point in its path on the basis that its not accurate to do so. Hawkeye does so. Who's right, and do we know for sure?
    I'm seriously interested in an answer by someone who actually knows about this stuff.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

I don't know much about the VirtualEye version, but I suspect that it's to do with how many cameras they have or where they are, thus reducing the input information and making VE inaccurate past a certain point. If Hawkeye are confident that their system lacks this problem, then they must have more input information.

Bun
    Banned
    that's conjecture.

Quote Originally Posted by Howe_zat View Post
    I don't know much about the VirtualEye version, but I suspect that it's to do with how many cameras they have or where they are, thus reducing the input information and making VE inaccurate past a certain point. If Hawkeye are confident that their system lacks this problem, then they must have more input information.
    For a system that depends on inputs from cameras, surely the easiest component to fix is the number of cameras and their positioning? Virtualeye are surely not that broke.

Besides, the article that originally brought up this point mentioned that Hawkeye didn't even have a camera lined up behind the stumps. I can't see why cricinfo would lie or be mistaken about that.

Simon Champion!
    tony greig saying on ten cricket that virtual eye actually has better cameras to show everything except predictive path.Arun lal agreeing with my view.

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    tony greig saying on ten cricket that virtual eye actually has better cameras to show everything except predictive path.Arun lal agreeing with my view.
    Wouldn't be admitting to that if I were you, mate!

Simon Champion!
    Was talking mostly sense.Actually agreed with you too on the batsman getting benefit doubt ,except on accuracy

U19 Vice-Captain
    I'm seriously interested in an answer by someone who actually knows about this stuff.
    Maybe you should be posing thing question elsewhere; not on Cricket Web? Every opinion here - for or against - is based on blind faith, not knowledge.

The ICC has said it would ask 'experts' to examine the accuracy of predictive technology; hopefully those experts would be people who actually know something about all this stuff. So why not just wait for the results of the study by independent experts?

For a system that depends on inputs from cameras, surely the easiest component to fix is the number of cameras and their positioning? Virtualeye are surely not that broke.

Besides, the article that originally brought up this point mentioned that Hawkeye didn't even have a camera lined up behind the stumps. I can't see why cricinfo would lie or be mistaken about that.
    They don't. They have 6 cameras at mid-on and mid-off from both ends plus 2 square of the wicket. They use the 2 broadcast cameras for information from behind the stumps afaik.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    With Hot Spot being made mandatory, cue members of the BCCI to complain vigorously when the inevitable 'obvious nick which didn't leave a heat signature' appeal pops up and the guy tons up followed by "We never liked URDS in the first place, felt pressured to accept it, IT COSTS $60k PER MINUTE!!!", etc..
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

I don't really understand the whole point. Virtualeye was used throughout the Ashes as the tool for determining LBWs. I actually thought it was a lot better than Hawkeye, as it used more frames per second, so it seemed to provide more accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    How about commentators disagreeing too on the ground and players feeling surprised too?
    In any way this wasn't about Hawkeye.

Here we need to understand that only LBW calls are done by the Hawkeye not others.
    And ultimately in any system it's the third umpires call.

So what is wrong with just using part of the system just with slow motion for the time being? It's not as if even if the UDRS is fully implemented you'll get robots to decide whether the evidence is conclusive to overturn or not?
    People are 'suprised' by what HawkEye throws up because their perceptions have been wrong for years.

I'm amazed at the number of times commentators have said a ball was going to be sliding down leg side when it patently isn't.

Thread Information