• Opposed

13 9.63%
  • BCCI is the best organisation out

10 7.41%
Page 6 of 125 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: ***Official*** DRS discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Well, that's my point precisely. Get rid of the third umpire. Replace him with an algorithm. I can't see why hawkeye would take time. It's plotting a trajectory off the co-ordinates gathered from multiple cameras, thats all. It should be instantaneous. The bottle neck in the process is the human.
    How do you program an algorithm to determine whether or not a batsman is offering a shot if he's struck outside the line?

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    How do you program an algorithm to determine whether or not a batsman is offering a shot if he's struck outside the line?
    That decision's made by the on field umpire.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    Well agree to disagree then. I feel that being able to resume an innings at a later stage is better than a player not having any impact in the game at all after a bad call.
    they are professionals if they cant handel the situaration, they dont deserve to be there.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    It should be instantaneous. The bottle neck in the process is the human.
    It's not though.

Right now, there is a lot of post-processing involved in terms of ball trajectory (making sure the system picks up the ball at the right times, etc). There is a technician present who makes sure everything is going right and it takes a bit of time.

If you can get rid of it, you may want to work on it and offer to sell it to the ICC .
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by slugger View Post
    they are professionals if they cant handel the situaration, they dont deserve to be there.
    How is that a response to my point? What situation?
    This was a serious post:

Quote Originally Posted by Blocky View Post
    As for Sharma, sorry but he's the only Indian bowler outside of Khan who has consistently managed to take wickets away from home and trouble good batsman. Shami looks highly promising but India don't have better seam options than Sharma at the moment in test cricket. Quite simple.
    RIP Craigos. Owe you a beer.:(

http://www.cricketweb.net/forum/2186298-post7381.html

Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Jesus ****ing Christ.

When a team uses a review, they are asking the third umpire to overturn the decision. The decision can only be overturned if, using the available technology, the third umpire is 100% certain that the original decision was wrong.

Hawkeye has a small margain of error. If you're looking for an lbw decision to be overturned, if Hawkeye shows the ball just clipping the stumps, that's not 100% conclusive proof that a not out decision was incorrect. You cannot look at that and say "the ball would probably have hit the stumps, overturn it." If Hawkeye can be developed so that the predictive element is 100% accurate, then yes, there would be no marginal decisions.
    Bull ****. If every marginal decision was given out, it would be fair because the same rules apply for every one. The margin of error is decided by the 3rd umpire now which again gives a chance for human error in judgement.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    The margin of error is not decided by the third umpire...it's decided by hawkeye and if the decision is within its margin of error, than the original call stands..

It is.

It is.
    For lbws? No it certainly isn't. It's judged by HawkEye.
    ~ Cribbage

Locked inside my opium den, surrounded by some Chinamen
    Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    The margin of error is not decided by the third umpire...it's decided by hawkeye and if the decision is within its margin of error, than the original call stands..
    Exactly so.

Analogy I'd use the the "beyond reasonable doubt" burden of proof in criminal courts. If technology can prove beyond a reasonable doubt (i.e. within its accepted margins of error) the on field umpire was wrong the original shout is overturned, if not we go with the chap in the middle.

I just don't see an argument against having some kind of UDRS and we can argue the toss about the specifics to our hearts content. I'd personally like 3 challenges instead of two, but meh.
    - As featured in The Independent.

"Predictably, the ending of his international career did not end the argument about Pietersen's merits, as an army of informed commentators and Piers Morgan weighed in to defend or attack him."
    - The Guardian's Andrew Anthony

I'm baffled by the minority here.

For me that the main aim of UDRS is to avoid as many shockers as possible but the current way is not the right one.
    The 3rd umpire should be allowed to overturn an on-field decision in case of a obvious error on the part of the on-field umpire, its would save time and would also help avoiding a situation where the players are constantly challenging an umpire's decision, which is something which barely happens in any other sport and it certainly shouldn't be happening in the ''gentleman's'' game....

Bull ****. If every marginal decision was given out, it would be fair because the same rules apply for every one. The margin of error is decided by the 3rd umpire now which again gives a chance for human error in judgement.
    Rubbish.

If you're going to argue against something, then at least clue yourself up about it.

Quote Originally Posted by pup11 View Post
    For me that the main aim of UDRS is to avoid as many shockers as possible but the current way is not the right one.
    The 3rd umpire should be allowed to overturn an on-field decision in case of a obvious error on the part of the on-field umpire, its would save time and would also help avoiding a situation where the players are constantly challenging an umpire's decision, which is something which barely happens in any other sport and it certainly shouldn't be happening in the ''gentleman's'' game....
    Nah, the Cook and Clarke "dismissals" show why the players need to be able to challenge the umpire's decision.

Banned
    Different Strokes | Cricket Blogs | ESPN Cricinfo

A great article from cricinfo.

Page 6 of 125 FirstFirst ... 456781656106 ... LastLast

Thread Information