• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** DRS discussion thread

UDRS?

• Total voters

Howe_zat

Audio File
Hot Spot's a very, very useful piece of tech so long as you bear in mind its limitations - i.e. you can use it to prove an edge, but not disprove one.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Anyway, dunno why you're saying it's less probable in the future; unless a different type of FLIR camera is used, HotSpot will always have that limitation.

Spikey

Bun is such a terrible user

Anyway yeah I'm not over the moon about Hotspot either. But really the whole point of the URDS is to get rid of the terrible decisions...90% of the time a simple replay and perhaps Hawkeye up to the point of contact with pads can do that. christ get a simple, good system implemented that everyone follows and then talk about adding full hawkeye, hotspot etc

Bun

Banned
Anyway, dunno why you're saying it's less probable in the future; unless a different type of FLIR camera is used, HotSpot will always have that limitation.
hmmm....

we are assuming the combo of hotspot and snicko will fail to throw up an obvious edge (or lack of it) here.

I am not fully sure that has a precedent.

Top_Cat

hmmm....

we are assuming the combo of hotspot and snicko will fail to throw up an obvious edge (or lack of it) here.

I am not fully sure that has a precedent.
Yeah but Snicko isn't used in the URDS. Hot Spot, aside from the naked eye and ultra slow-mo, is the only way to see edges. In terms of picking up edges, nothing has changed, really. That the BCCI seem to have made the use of Hot Spot a deal-breaker is looking like setting them up for a fairly rude awakening eventually.

Not that I'm saying they shouldn't use it. It just isn't perfect and will miss some fine edges, especially on hotter days..

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
Disregarding the fact that we are comparing apples to oranges, I am confounded by the reasoning of some guys who're making up things out of thin air.

Hotspot as it is, imho, is a good tool. Combined with snickometer I think it's a very good tool to have as part of UDRS. what's more important here is that there is zero percent speculation here. No projections, no what ifs.

Again, reiterating I've absolutely no issues with HawkEye's utility to gauge pitching and interception. But their predictive tool, for reasons already enumerated, have not exactly been proven to be a value addition to the existing set up.
Can you explain the bolded bit.

The fact is snicko, takes too long to use and would slow the game down, so until the software can be improved and speeded up, I can't see how they can be used together.
But the fact is, as we have seen, not all edges appear on hotspot and as we've seen in this last test series, the umpire gave a edge off sound, when hotspot failed to show anything. I actually do agree with you, that in a ideal world , that snicko and hotspot together are perfect because Snicko covers hotspots back, if you will.
I've sat and watched on SKY tv a few times, as they show the hotspot, when a batsman, has thought to have edged the ball and there's no white spot showing, so not out is given, then 5 minutes or so after, when Snicko has finally come up, to reveal that the batsman's edged it.

Last edited:

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
Disregarding the fact that we are comparing apples to oranges, I am confounded by the reasoning of some guys who're making up things out of thin air.

Hotspot as it is, imho, is a good tool. Combined with snickometer I think it's a very good tool to have as part of UDRS. what's more important here is that there is zero percent speculation here. No projections, no what ifs.

Again, reiterating I've absolutely no issues with HawkEye's utility to gauge pitching and interception. But their predictive tool, for reasons already enumerated, have not exactly been proven to be a value addition to the existing set up.
I'm surprised you don't have a problem with hot spot since it does get things wrong.

Jacknife

International Captain
Yeah but Snicko isn't used in the URDS. Hot Spot, aside from the naked eye and ultra slow-mo, is the only way to see edges. In terms of picking up edges, nothing has changed, really. That the BCCI seem to have made the use of Hot Spot a deal-breaker is looking like setting them up for a fairly rude awakening eventually.

Not that I'm saying they shouldn't use it. It just isn't perfect and will miss some fine edges, especially on hotter days..
Just said the same thing on another thread, the song and dance that's been made about HawkEye and from what we've all seen, Hotspot is the one that has caused more **** ups.
While ever Snicko is too slow to use in a game situation, Hotspot will always come up with, edges that won't show up and can't be proven,.We'll have to wait and see, how good these improved stump mics are going to be.

GotSpin

Hall of Fame Member
A mistake by the third umpire, essentially. He shouldn't have seen the lack of a mark on HS as proof that he didn't edge it, if that makes sense. You can still use HS as proof to detect an edge.
Still a mistake of the system itself though.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Still a mistake of the system itself though.
Yeah but really, those sort of situations should be 'Umpire's Call' like the marginals on Hawkeye. Although they basically are I suppose, as the on-field umpire can make his own mind up based on the info given to him IIRC

Furball

Evil Scotsman

1. It might not be based on speculation, but the technology is far more error prone than HawkEye. It's also prone to human error.

2. What?