• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** DRS discussion thread

UDRS?

• Total voters

Turbinator

Cricketer Of The Year
Lol at being scared of Swann.

Can't wait till the Indian batsmen smash him left, right, and centre this summer. Then he can mope about it on twitter ;)

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
Tbf to them, they've clearly changed their minds. As I predicted everyone would when I kept posting it for YEARS prior to it's implementation. There were plenty of people on this forum who didn't want it either and now it's almost unanimous. People are allowed to change their minds. I am not sure what you're implying but it's relatively clear that the ECB prefer to use it now.

Bun

Banned
silentstriker, am merely pointing out that these guys were not in favor of udrs only a year back.

and we haven't still heard ecb's official position on the issue have we? no statement condemning it's non usage, nothing really.

Jacknife

International Captain
I don't know why you've put these links up for but the URDS used in that series is different to the one used now and has been vastly improved since that WI tour, where they were still trialing the system. In that series, I think they used only hawk-eye, nothing else and they could also review as many as they wanted.
In that series, the 3rd umpires made mistakes using the system because they were new to it and learning it at the time, but obviously they have become a lot better at it.

Jacknife

International Captain
silentstriker, am merely pointing out that these guys were not in favor of udrs only a year back.

and we haven't still heard ecb's official position on the issue have we? no statement condemning it's non usage, nothing really.
What are you talking about, we haven't heard the ECB's official position. The fact is they have been using it, last summer and this, as well as the last Ashes and obviously wanted to use it against India. Add to that, the system used back then was crap, compared to what we have now, what's hard to understand, about changing their minds because the system has improved.
I really don't know what mischief your trying to cause here.

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
Tbf to them, they've clearly changed their minds. As I predicted everyone would when I kept posting it for YEARS prior to it's implementation. There were plenty of people on this forum who didn't want it either and now it's almost unanimous. People are allowed to change their minds. I am not sure what you're implying but it's relatively clear that the ECB prefer to use it now.
Except to Bun.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
The ECB clearly changed their views due to the emergence of Graeme Swann ,otherwise they were opposed to the system and thought it had flaws:p.

Such oppurtunistic behaviour should not be allowed by the ICC. :ph34r:

Bun

Banned
What are you talking about, we haven't heard the ECB's official position. The fact is they have been using it, last summer and this, as well as the last Ashes and obviously wanted to use it against India. Add to that, the system used back then was crap, compared to what we have now, what's hard to understand, about changing their minds because the system has improved.
I really don't know what mischief your trying to cause here.
Firstly am pro UDRS as it is now, and I want BCCI to come around it.

Secondly, I don't think UDRS was used by ECB in the home series against Bangladesh, was it (open to being proven wrong though)

Thirdly, from the articles I posted above, it is clear that till about a year ago, ECB were having reservations, including their coach on UDRS. Andy Flower clearly states he isn't in favor of it personally. And tbh, I don't think UDRS has changed significantly since then either.

I don't think BCCI is going to continue it's opposition for long. I believe it's just a timing issue and they'll come around to it eventually.

Bun

Banned
Another rubbish masquerading as an article

2011 India Tour of England: Time for India to Adopt UDRS or Get Banished | Bleacher Report

But in the aftermath of a wildly successful and entertaining World Cup where, a couple of noteworthy exceptions aside, UDRS worked marvelously, India seem destined to remain in the stone age, or at the very least the black-and-white era of television, refusing to use a technology that every other cricketing nation has embraced. All logic, all statistics be forever damned, India and the BCCI will not consent.

And the time has come that the rest of the cricketing world stood up and turned its back on India.

It is time that England and the other powerful test nations refuse to schedule series against India until they consent to the use of UDRS. No test series, no ODIs, not even an odd t20 match to fill the crowds. Nothing. A blacklisting as severe as the one handed to South Africa in the 1970s, although for much less severe reasons.

No series in Australia, no Sri Lankan visits to Mumbai and Delhi, nothing, unless UDRS is there. If there is no Hot Spot, if there is no Hawkeye, there shall be no India. There shall be no more granting India their own set of laws.

Of course, even if the other full members banish India, there will still be stragglers. I wouldn't expect a developing nation like Ireland or a fledgling nation like Zimbabwe or Bangladesh to be willing to shut out India. The financial boon they'd receive from more regular series with the world's best and most popular national side would be too much for them to reject barring ICC sanctions against playing India, and ICC sanctions are nigh impossible.
:laugh: Heights of incredulity.. stone age? India and BCCI?? Comparing to apartheid era banishment of SA???? :lol:

Bun

Banned
Spark, my stance is that while BCCI is to be criticised rightly, the criticism is over the top, and if we are talking about time taken to come around to it, then really no board is above criticism either. I am loving how ECB and the likes are now projected as saviours of UDRS in some circles.

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
And the time has come that the rest of the cricketing world stood up and turned its back on India.

It is time that England and the other powerful test nations refuse to schedule series against India until they consent to the use of UDRS. No test series, no ODIs, not even an odd t20 match to fill the crowds. Nothing. A blacklisting as severe as the one handed to South Africa in the 1970s, although for much less severe reasons.

No series in Australia, no Sri Lankan visits to Mumbai and Delhi, nothing, unless UDRS is there. If there is no Hot Spot, if there is no Hawkeye, there shall be no India. There shall be no more granting India their own set of laws.

silentstriker

The Wheel is Forever
No I would seriously like for him to go around the various boards and tell them to refuse an Indian tour. See what happens. Please record the reply.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Bun is in favour of it, UIMM.
Yeah so what? Bears no relevance to what Jacknife said

Bun, all these reports etc - Jacknife and - disucssed the ECB's original stance already. I thought it was in this thread - could have been in another one. The system used in the Carribbean was a bit of a farce and the techology wasn't used properly in South Africa - the problems have been fixed, or at least improved and the ECB are happy now.

If BCCI change their mind and adopt it, their anti-UDRS stance will soon be forgotten.