113 82.48%
  • Opposed

13 9.49%
  • BCCI is the best organisation out

11 8.03%
Page 3 of 125 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: ***Official*** DRS discussion thread

Strongly anti. A wrong "not out" is cancelled out by a wrong "out". And in my view it is important to teach youngsters that two wrongs make a right.

Having unlimited referrals is a bad idea, as most wickets would just be referred.

As for Hawkeye, possibly fair enough, but I still feel the benefit of the doubt should be with the batsman.
    5-0

RIP Craig Walsh (Craig) 1985-2012
    RIP Hughesy

Proudly supporting the #2 cricketer of all time.

International Vice-Captain Noble One's Avatar
    Why must the benefit of doubt rest with the batsman? I would be in favour of any system (as long as it's fair) that will help in reducing the runs-scored in the modern era.

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    For it. Anyone whose against is a conservative moron.

I'm for it. I think it's a lot better way of using the technology, as if you left it to the umpires to do their own referring, then they would doubt themselves and ask to refer pretty much everything all the time, slowing the game down further. It would also still leave shockers in there, as if they realised that someone hit it in the first place for an LBW (for example) then they wouldn't have given it out. It'd create a greater level of doubt in the umpires; with this system, they can just concentrate on making the right decision, and if it turns out to be wrong, so be it.

The other method that's been suggested is that the 3rd Umpire intervene, which I'd find distasteful too. What happens if the Third Umpire only discovers something after the batsman has walked all the way off the field? Will we have batsmen hanging around longer waiting for intervention that may never come instead of walking off? At what point is it too late for the 3rd Umpire to intervene?

Think that the current method, with the players using the chance to refer, is the best way of it being used.

Quote Originally Posted by Dissector View Post
    Clearly not much of a debate here and like most I would like to see it in every series. UDRS could be improved but it's better than what came before. Opponents of UDRS seem to basically be arguing that a 95% system is better than a 99% system because the latter isn't 100%.
    Yep, spot on basically.

Or the 3rd umpire could refer every decision and if a player is given out and walks off wrongly, it could be dealt with the way a batsman retires hurt. If he is found to be not out, he could come back and resume his innings when the next wicket falls. No time loss.

International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    Or the 3rd umpire could refer every decision and if a player is given out and walks off wrongly, it could be dealt with the way a batsman retires hurt. If he is found to be not out, he could come back and resume his innings when the next wicket falls. No time loss.
    Possible but I don't think that will ever be implemented. No captain would ever like to be informed 10 minutes after a player has been dismissed that he'll be coming back after the next wicket falls.

International Vice-Captain Mike5181's Avatar
    We do need UDRS in the game as Umpires are human and do make mistakes. I think the hopeless use of the review system just as a "why not" sort of thing is a negative of it but really it only wastes 1-2 minutes and there are other far greater problems that contribute to wasted time (like India's over rate grrr ). It makes the game fair for both teams and the best team at the end of the day wins more often due to the implementation of systems like these.

Quote Originally Posted by Daemon View Post
    Possible but I don't think that will ever be implemented. No captain would ever like to be informed 10 minutes after a player has been dismissed that he'll be coming back after the next wicket falls.
    **** 'em. Its not about what those sissies like or dislike, its all about what a fair decision means.

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    URDS needs to make better sense.

*Official* New Zealand in India 2010

Indians are teh crybabies!!
    They are. They cried in Sydney, and I supported them. If they were serious, they'd use the UDRS and try to improve it instead of whinging again. And they lost on marginal decisions in SL....
    Last edited by silentstriker; 07-12-2010 at 03:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

Quote Originally Posted by Shri View Post
    **** 'em. Its not about what those sissies like or dislike, its all about what a fair decision means.
    Making a batsman restart his innings in a completely different match situation isn't all that fair.
    What happens if it was the number 11 as well?

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quite happy to see the level of support on here!

I was pretty sure that once it was implemented, most people wouldn't be nostalgic for decisions like the one Sangakarra got when he was on 192.

It's all nice to say 'UMPIRING AUTHORITY' in theory, but in practice, when you have idiotic decisions that everyone except the umpire knows about within 15 seconds, it's the height of stupidity to just invoke some kind of dumbass tradition and let that go on.

Quote Originally Posted by silentstriker View Post
    Quite happy to see the level of support on here!

I was pretty sure that once it was implemented, most people wouldn't be nostalgic for decisions like the one Sangakarra got when he was on 192.

It's all nice to say 'UMPIRING AUTHORITY' in theory, but in practice, when you have idiotic decisions that everyone except the umpire knows about within 15 seconds, it's the height of stupidity to just invoke some kind of dumbass tradition and let that go on.
    Would have been pretty much the greatest innings of all time. Would have won the match, drawn the series. Don't think many knocks would have come close had he not been sawed off.
    Rest In Peace Craigos
    2003-2012

use it in all matches and be done with it, it is what it is.

Page 3 of 125 FirstFirst 123451353103 ... LastLast

Thread Information