• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** DRS discussion thread

UDRS?

• Total voters

Furball

Evil Scotsman
BCCI: We don't trust HawkEye, it's not accurate enough
Scientist: Well, that's rubbish, we're having a presentation in Australia about HawkEye which you're more than welcome to attend, hopefully it will address any concerns you have over the system
BCCI: Nah, we won't be doing that, we don't trust HawkEye, it's inaccurate
Scientist: No it's not, seriously, come to the presentation, I'll be happy to answer any questions you have
BCCI: No
Scientist: That's unfortunate, any reason you...
Scientist: I think you'll find that if you just attend...
Scientist: Your attitude to this...

hang on

State Vice-Captain
i am a bit confused. where exactly in the article does it say that they haven't been consulted since 2008? i apologise but i haven't been able to find it. should brush up on my reading skills but still would appreciate a helpful pointer.

Athlai

Not Terrible
i am a bit confused. where exactly in the article does it say that they haven't been consulted since 2008? i apologise but i haven't been able to find it. should brush up on my reading skills but still would appreciate a helpful pointer.
"The BCCI's refusal to accept the Decision Review System (DRS) for the forthcoming tour of England is a clear indication that India's stand on the subject has not moved from its team's initial reaction to the referral system in the 2008 series versus Sri Lanka. The system may now have been widely accepted around the world and the technology improved, yet the BCCI has not had any formal meetings with the Indian cricketers about their responses to the DRS in ICC events since their 2008 experience."

hang on

State Vice-Captain
"The BCCI's refusal to accept the Decision Review System (DRS) for the forthcoming tour of England is a clear indication that India's stand on the subject has not moved from its team's initial reaction to the referral system in the 2008 series versus Sri Lanka. The system may now have been widely accepted around the world and the technology improved, yet the BCCI has not had any formal meetings with the Indian cricketers about their responses to the DRS in ICC events since their 2008 experience."
thanks, athlai. thought i was losing my mind there for a while!

being a gadfly here, but would/should informal chats count?

Last edited:

Athlai

Not Terrible
That's the point really, BCCI have been saying senior players don't want it as justification but seemingly haven't spoken to them since the very early days of UDRS.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
fair enough. was wondering whether offline chats with the players etc. were being used by the bcci as justification for their intransigence regarding the technology.

but i have to admit that my reading comprehension needs massive improvement!

Furball

Evil Scotsman
That's the point really, BCCI have been saying senior players don't want it as justification but seemingly haven't spoken to them since the very early days of UDRS.
Their objections to the system in 2008 were fair enough as the system was going through some teething problems (iirc Sehwag got a ridiculous lbw that was given on review) but to not even speak to the players since then just smacks of idiocy.

Austerlitz

U19 Debutant
Idiots just take drs.
And now i'm hearing sehwag will miss eng tour rumours,local channels saying that his career maybe more or less over.:@

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
I agree that Hawkeye can be dodgy many times specially with Spin and Bounce where it has even showed a ball on a ankle length bouncing pitch going over the stumps.
No matter what the scientist say ,Hawkeye has shown some weird paths as per human comprehension and even the commentators have agreed.

But it still helps overall and is better than the alternatives available.
And if the players do not have doubts ,then there is absolutely no reason for BCCI's objection to UDRS. Use it already FFS!!!

Sachin has come out and said this,Sehwag and one more already supported it IIRC .Wonder what Dhoni thinks about it now or he was just defending BCCI'S position for the sake of it?

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I agree that Hawkeye can be dodgy many times specially with Spin and Bounce where it has even showed a ball on a ankle length bouncing pitch going over the stumps.
No matter what the scientist say ,Hawkeye has shown some weird paths as per human comprehension and even the commentators have agreed.

But it still helps overall and is better than the alternatives available.
And if the players do not have doubts ,then there is absolutely no reason for BCCI's objection to UDRS. Use it already FFS!!!

Sachin has come out and said this,Sehwag and one more already supported it IIRC .Wonder what Dhoni thinks about it now or he was just defending BCCI'S position for the sake of it?
I think Harbhajan or Zaheer (not sure which one) has also come out in favour it. So I guess it's just a matter of time before BCCI cave in. Might even happen before the England-India series, who knows? :p

Athlai

Not Terrible
Their objections to the system in 2008 were fair enough as the system was going through some teething problems (iirc Sehwag got a ridiculous lbw that was given on review) but to not even speak to the players since then just smacks of idiocy.
Yeah I agree really. I was hardly ecstatic about it at the time but you can understand their trepidation at that early stage.

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Time for Shashank Manohar to buy a white cat and move to a hollowed out volcano, surely?

"Our objection is to ball tracking.... it becomes just a case of someone else's imagination versus the umpire's imagination."

I believe the technology was developed for missle tracking, wasn't it?

Uppercut

Request Your Custom Title Now!
That doesn't stop you from occasionally insisting that it's wrong and your eye is better!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
That doesn't stop you from occasionally insisting that it's wrong and your eye is better!
The makers admit a margin of error and, yes, sometimes it is wrong. We've all seen the balls that've actually clean bowled the batsman and Hawkeye has missing. I've no doubt at all sometimes my eye is better.

But, as we all know, UDRS's use of Hawkeye has quite a high margin of error built into it. It's designed to back up the umpires. Any doubt stays as "umpire's call".