• Opposed

13 9.63%
  • BCCI is the best organisation out

10 7.41%
Page 14 of 125 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: ***Official*** DRS discussion thread

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    If you look at the Hawkeye system in tennis (PEWS is going to kill me for bringing tennis into this thread), that shouldn't be a problem technologically speaking. It's the other things (checking for faint edges, hotspot/snicko etc.) that seems to require human intervention and takes time to show up. Though I don't get why it should take 5 minutes to get a hotspot reading (I think I read that somewhere here).
    I don't know if this makes a difference, but HawkEye in tennis is used to track a known event. In cricket it tracks a known event up until the ball strikes the pad. It then has to extrapolate what it knows has happened and predict what would have happened had the ball not hit the pad. Whether that adds time, I don't know.

The above is a very messy paragraph, but hopefully you guys get what I'm talking about.

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Yes, The kid is a ****ing irrational ******, I won't deny it, but that's how the BCCI looks at it.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    but again you are coming back to the same point. That everything is available when it is not. When i say it is not available i mean to say that it has not been offered for each delivery.

To think of another analogy a kid is going around naked in the street. There are two sets of clothes in the closet. One is 3 piece suit and another is shorts and a vest.

The kid refuses to wear anything because the father does not allow him to wear a 3 piece suit although the kid would look his best in that suit. So the kid goes out naked rather than wear shorts and a vest.
    The three piece adds nothing in terms of functionality over the shorts and vest. The analogy doesn't stand.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    If GI 'Best Poster On The Forum' Joe says it then it must be true.
    Athlai doesn't lie. And he doesn't do sarcasm either, so you know it's true!

but again you are coming back to the same point. That everything is available when it is not. When i say it is not available i mean to say that it has not been offered for each delivery.

To think of another analogy a kid is going around naked in the street. There are two sets of clothes in the closet. One is 3 piece suit and another is shorts and a vest.

The kid refuses to wear anything because the father does not allow him to wear a 3 piece suit although the kid would look his best in that suit. So the kid goes out naked rather than wear shorts and a vest.
    Yes, but this ignores the fact that the BCCI is not just any kid, It is a stubborn, bull-headed, mean kid who doesn't care about the father's other kids as the father loves him more and hence is ready to run naked till the father gives in and gets him the three-piece.
    Isnít it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too? Ė Douglas Adams

Quote Originally Posted by GeraintIsMyHero View Post
    The reason people don't cheer for India is nothing to do with them being number one

It's because Teja is a ****, FTR

Teja, you're missing the point in your eagerness to play to the gallery.

vcs
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    I don't know if this makes a difference, but HawkEye in tennis is used to track a known event. In cricket it tracks a known event up until the ball strikes the pad. It then has to extrapolate what it knows has happened and predict what would have happened had the ball not hit the pad. Whether that adds time, I don't know.

The above is a very messy paragraph, but hopefully you guys get what I'm talking about.
    I don't think that should be an issue.. AFAIC, it should be a straightforward projectile motion problem that we learn in basic physics, unless I'm missing something obvious. Obviously, the Hawkeye cameras have to collect enough data to do the extrapolation.

Quote Originally Posted by G.I.Joe View Post
    Teja, you're missing the point in your eagerness to play to the gallery.
    Nah, My point is somewhere between the extremes of 'something vs nothing' and 'UDRS is ****' tbh.

The three piece adds nothing in terms of functionality over the shorts and vest. The analogy doesn't stand.
    Of course it does unless you think that shorts and vest (chaddi and banyan) offer nothing more to you than does a 3 piece suit.

The suit offers more style, class, elegance, fits in with the dress code of most places, allows you access to hotels and other exclusive places etc etc

Quote Originally Posted by Teja. View Post
    Yes, but this ignores the fact that the BCCI is not just any kid, It is a stubborn, bull-headed, mean kid who doesn't care about the father's other kids as the father loves him more and hence is ready to run naked till the father gives in and gets him the three-piece.

Quote Originally Posted by vcs View Post
    I don't think that should be an issue.. AFAIC, it should be a straightforward projectile motion problem that we learn in basic physics, unless I'm missing something obvious. Obviously, the Hawkeye cameras have to collect enough data to do the extrapolation.
    Like I said, I don't know the ins and outs - I'm merely speculating as to why it might not be possible to have an instantaneous HawkEye the way it appears in Tennis.

vcs
    Of course it does unless you think that shorts and vest (chaddi and banyan) offer nothing more to you than does a 3 piece suit.

The suit offers more style, class, elegance, fits in with the dress code of most places, allows you access to hotels and other exclusive places etc etc

I could forego a 3 piece suit for the rest of my life but I doubt I could do the same for my chaddi-banyan.

vcs
    Like I said, I don't know the ins and outs - I'm merely speculating as to why it might not be possible to have an instantaneous HawkEye the way it appears in Tennis.
    I think the Hawkeye graphic comes up pretty instantaneously... it's one of the others (Snicko/Hotspot) that apparently is a problem.

All of which are irrelevant to the pressing matter at hand, i.e. ensuring that you're clothed.

A more suitable analogy would be a choice between crotchless underwear and underwear that isn't crotchless. Would you take the crotchless underwear because it atleast covers up your ass crack? That's better than nothing, isn't it?

Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Having followed a team who have played their last 4 series with UDRS, I can't imagine Test cricket without it.

There were plenty of umpiring errors made in the Ashes. The reason there's been no song and dance about them is because there was a system in place to rectify those errors.
    Yes, and the only one that affected the outcome of a match (or may have done) was when Hussey wasn't given lbw on the third morning at Brisbane. There could be no complaints as we had wasted our reviews.

Edit - although we didn't have it in either Bangladesh series IIRC.
    Last edited by GIMH; 17-01-2011 at 12:18 PM.
    #JFT96
    "I can't promise anyone success but I can promise them a trip to the moon." - John King
    SWA

RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

vcs
    All of which are irrelevant to the pressing matter at hand, i.e. ensuring that you're clothed.

A more suitable analogy would be a choice between crotchless underwear and underwear that isn't crotchless. Would you take the crotchless underwear because it atleast covers up your ass crack? That's better than nothing, isn't it?
    Haha, if I had a signature, I would put that in there.

What a bizarre path this thread is taking.

lol........not that your analogy fits perfectly but it is funny........i think i will take the crotchless underwear.............

and what will you do???? keep your ass exposed to all and sundry?????????

Thread Information