13 9.63%
  • BCCI is the best organisation out

10 7.41%
Page 124 of 125 FirstFirst ... 2474114122123124125 LastLast
Results 1,846 to 1,860 of 1874
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: ***Official*** DRS discussion thread

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    Don't think these would happen without his blessings even now tbh.. I just think there has been a softening of the stance across the board, esp. since how things have gone this Ashes and the unexpected support that BCCI probably think they are getting from CA..
    We miss you, Fardin. :(. RIP.
    Quote Originally Posted by vic_orthdox View Post
    In the end, I think it's so utterly, incomprehensibly boring. There is so much context behind each innings of cricket that dissecting statistics into these small samples is just worthless. No-one has ever been faced with the same situation in which they come out to bat as someone else. Ever.
    A cricket supporter forever

Member of CW Red and AAAS - Appreciating only the best.

Check out this awesome e-fed:

PWE Efed

The Wheel is Forever silentstriker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    ICC news : India in discussions over DRS compromise | Cricket News | Global | ESPN Cricinfo

Well, should hurry up and agree a compromise before Srinivasan returns then.
    LOL that's the only change it took? That was the big hold up? Either someone at the BCCI is a terrible negotiator or they are completely inept at putting forth their stance as an organization.
    Quote Originally Posted by KungFu_Kallis View Post
    Peter Siddle top scores in both innings....... Matthew Wade gets out twice in one ball
    "The future light cone of the next Indian fast bowler is exactly the same as the past light cone of the previous one"
    -My beliefs summarized in words much more eloquent than I could come up with

How the Universe came from nothing

International Regular
    Apart from the 3rd Umpire problem, another big issue is that DRS needs to be taken out of players hands.

Cricket should not be a game of who can use DRS the best, it is just a tool and players shouldn't have to sit down and learn how to best use it. Australian team are full of ****s and will take no time reviewing. But that is besides the point, that was not why DRS was implemented.

In this series England have been far far better at using it, but is DRS a new small game in itself or is it for getting decisions right? Seems like it is the former.
    Last edited by TumTum; 03-08-2013 at 11:18 PM.
    centurymaker likes this.

International Regular
    It is just ridiculous notion that if a team gets 2 challenges incorrectly, howlers are ALLOWED for the rest of the innings.

It is to stop teams from challenging every call and wasting time, but as you can see the overall implementation system is flawed and teams shouldn't be allowed to challenge in the first place.
    centurymaker likes this.

should get one coaches challenge imo

and maybe 5 seconds to explain why
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

Hall of Fame Member honestbharani's Avatar
    I like the idea of an Umpire's Call judgement not taking away a review for at team. It is not great but surely it is fairer than what it is today...
    kyear2 likes this.

International Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by honestbharani View Post
    I like the idea of an Umpire's Call judgement not taking away a review for at team. It is not great but surely it is fairer than what it is today...
    I agree that would be good. The LBW system at the moment is far better than the edge/caught behind. It is clear and fair.

But what importance does Umpires Call have with the edge/caught behind decisions? This area is very blurred and totally inconsistent with the 3rd umpire. The process needs to be automated like the LBW system.

Quote Originally Posted by TumTum View Post
    I agree that would be good. The LBW system at the moment is far better than the edge/caught behind. It is clear and fair.

But what importance does Umpires Call have with the edge/caught behind decisions? This area is very blurred and totally inconsistent with the 3rd umpire. The process needs to be automated like the LBW system.
    How is that achieved? does hotspot become the final arbitrator that divides umpires call and overturned decisions?
    There are two colours in my head

International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by TumTum View Post
    It is just ridiculous notion that if a team gets 2 challenges incorrectly, howlers are ALLOWED for the rest of the innings.

It is to stop teams from challenging every call and wasting time, but as you can see the overall implementation system is flawed and teams shouldn't be allowed to challenge in the first place.
    can someone please logically explain how on earth putting a mistake-correction system in the hands of the mistake-maker has any sense behind it at all? Just wait for the uproar the first time an umpire refuses to call for a review and it turns out to be wrong.
    Exit pursuing a beer

I'll say now and I'll say it again, umpires shouldn't be in charge of the review system, even run-outs/stumpings are often unnecessarily reviewed. And stupid commentators who say just get the 3rd ump to have a look between balls or after dismissals and tell the umps if the decision was wrong, well that doesn't work either, the same doubt over clearly out vs marginal holds up the game all the same, players have to be in charge of DRS

I don't see how the 3rd umpire jumping in won't lead to situations like we saw in the OD stuff in Australia, where batsmen who weren't out were just not walking, making sure that the 3rd umpire looks at the replay and reverses it. Much worse look than making a "T" sign at the umpire.

Quote Originally Posted by Cevno View Post
    ICC news : India in discussions over DRS compromise | Cricket News | Global | ESPN Cricinfo

Well, should hurry up and agree a compromise before Srinivasan returns then.
    If this is true, then I have to say I agree with all those changes, umm, well done BCCI
    Do I contradict myself?
    Very well then I contradict myself,
    (I am large, I contain multitudes.
    Walt Whitman

Of all times I can't believe it's now the BCCI are starting to take a less hard line on DRS, they really are a bizarre lot

They may want to be able to take credit for improving the system.
    Aus. XI
    Simpson^ | Hayden | Bradman | Chappell^ | Ponting | Border* | Gilchrist+ | Davidson3 | Warne4^ | Lillee1 | McGrath2

W.I. XI
    Greenidge | Hunte | Richards^ | Headley* | Lara^ | Sobers5^ | Walcott+ | Marshall1 | Ambrose2 | Holding3 | Garner4

S.A. XI
    Richards^ | Smith*^ | Amla | Pollock | Kallis5^ | Nourse | Waite+ | Procter3 | Steyn1 | Tayfield4 | Donald2

Eng. XI
    Hobbs | Hutton*^ | Hammond^ | Compton | Barrington | Botham5^ | Knott | Trueman1 | Laker4 | Larwood2 | Barnes3

Did we not used to get 3 referrals an innings or have I made that up?

Boils my piss when people say 'take it out of the hands of the players' - surely in situations where the batsman is obviously not out (Cook given caught off his shoulder at Adelaide) or the fielding side can see that the umpire has made an obvious mistake (Clarke at Adelaide, Broad at Trent Bridge) then it's the players that are best placed to make the decision.

Put the system in the hands of the umpires and the following 2 things will happen:

1. Umpires will refer everything to the 3rd umpire every single time the fielding side appeals
    2. Batsmen won't walk in instances where the umpire has backed his own judgement and given him out.

Neither scenario is good for cricket. Despite a couple of special moments this game umpires generally don't do a bad job. The last thing we need is a system that effectively means we can do without an on field umpire or a system that encourages dissent.

Thread Information