• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** DRS discussion thread

UDRS?

• Total voters

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Having followed a team who have played their last 4 series with UDRS, I can't imagine Test cricket without it.
No one is asking you to imagine it. If it really bothers you that much then you should stick to watching the series where UDRS is being used.

There were plenty of umpiring errors made in the Ashes. The reason there's been no song and dance about them is because there was a system in place to rectify those errors.
Yeah, you must have watched a different Ashes then, The one I watched had the Aussie Captain did a lot of song and dance.

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
I presume for the away series the host broadcaster couldn't provide ir.

For the home series, not sure, but I think the ECB were unhappy about the way a few things worked in the South Africa series and so wanted them ironing out before employing it in a home test.

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
No one is asking you to imagine it. If it really bothers you that much then you should stick to watching the series where UDRS is being used.

Yeah, you must have watched a different Ashes then, The one I watched had the Aussie Captain did a lot of song and dance.
It kind of feels like you've seen the point and then deliberately went the other way here. Ponting acted like a tool, but that's nothing unusual. Check the fallout when there were bad decisions made from the previous Ashes series, on CW, the media and from the players. That isolated Ponting incident aside, which is more related to him being a tool than an issue with the system, there was pretty much nothing from either side because there was a system in place to reverse bad decisions.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Which had nothing to do with the system and everything to do with Ponting being an idiot who didn't understand why Pietersen wasn't out.

Shri

Mr. Glass
If a hawk eye representation can be made ready for an instant replay of a lbw, it is clear that it doesn't take much time. Why doesn't the ICC adopt a system where every lbw decision right or wrong is rechecked by the 3rd umpire?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
It kind of feels like you've seen the point and then deliberately went the other way here. Ponting acted like a tool, but that's nothing unusual. Check the fallout when there were bad decisions made from the previous Ashes series, on CW, the media and from the players. That isolated Ponting incident aside, which is more related to him being a tool than an issue with the system, there was pretty much nothing from either side because there was a system in place to reverse bad decisions.
Which one was a better series ? I resent the sentiment that Cricket is impossible to watch without UDRS and then the Ashes series is being brought up as some sort of model, which it clearly wasn't. No one is defending Ponting's behavior but on that day the technology could not and did not give a definitive answer.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Which one was a better series ? I resent the sentiment that Cricket is impossible to watch without UDRS and then the Ashes series is being brought up as some sort of model, which it clearly wasn't. No one is defending Ponting's behavior but on that day the technology could not and did not give a definitive answer.
It gave a pretty definitive not out.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Which had nothing to do with the system and everything to do with Ponting being an idiot who didn't understand why Pietersen wasn't out.
There is no need to make one understand, the technology should make the decision, out or not out. The fact that the umpires needed to explain the decision was proof enough that technology failed to convince.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
How are UDRS or all these technologies designed to work in the Indian conditions ? Can someone explain ?

andyc

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Was pretty clearly not out.

And HawkEye doesn't need to be adjusted for different conditions. I'm pretty sure it just tracks how the ball is bouncing and maps out it's future path, just as our eyes do. Except much better (hence the name).

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I disagree, there was plenty of doubt. If some umpire had given out, there was no way technology would have reverted that decision.
You're right, apart from there being no mark on hotspot where the ball passed the bat, no noise, no deviation of the seam when looked at in ultramotion and no noise on snicko, there was plenty of doubt whether or not Pietersen had hit it.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I'm not saying it's impossible to watch without UDRS, just that it's a much better game when obvious instances of umpiring error (such as the decisions to give Cook out caught off his shoulder at Adelaide, or Watson out off his arse at Perth I think) are able to be overturned and not potentially affect the outcome of the game.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Do Indian conditions affect HawkEye now?
If you want people to accept technology, it is your job to convince them. Your behavior in explaining this less than satisfactory in fact it is rather condescending. If you took same attitude to implement technology in a real life business scenario , people will throw you out of their offices in no time.

The bounce and turn on Indian pitches is different. How do I know if the LBW decisions given by Hawk-eye are correct. What is the technology, its body of work, proof of concept etc ? Have they implemented it in domestic cricket ?

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Was pretty clearly not out.
You must have watched a different match then, to me it was not that clear and could have gone either way.

And HawkEye doesn't need to be adjusted for different conditions. I'm pretty sure it just tracks how the ball is bouncing and maps out it's future path, just as our eyes do. Except much better (hence the name).
Do they have data to back it up ? If it is that easy, I am sure it easy to produce the data.