Cricket Player Manager

View Poll Results: UDRS?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • In favour

    112 82.96%
  • Opposed

    13 9.63%
  • BCCI is the best organisation out

    10 7.41%
Page 114 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1464104112113114115116124 ... LastLast
Results 1,696 to 1,710 of 1874
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: ***Official*** DRS discussion thread

  1. #1696
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    12,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    ???
    whats your question newton?
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.

  2. #1697
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    55,519
    Quote Originally Posted by vicky View Post
    This.

    Really, if you accept that the DRS as it is is there to overturn "howlers" then Clarke's thought process before reviewing an LBW should have been:

    1) Did I hit the cover off it
    2) Did it hit me a foot outside off
    3) Did it pitch a foot outside leg
    4) Did it hit me on the thigh when i was halfway down the pitch

    If the answer to all the above is no the Clarke's conclusion should have been "Accept the decision, it's too close to call and we might need the review for a genuine howler later in the innings" as opposed to "What would Watto do..."
    Hate this howler cliche that has been perpetuated until it becomes common thought. Drs is there to improve umpiring decisions, howler or not.
    Last edited by Jono; 21-01-2013 at 03:36 AM.

  3. #1698
    International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    away from the palms
    Posts
    6,539
    aand it begins again. If you're out to get every little marginal little-here-little-there decision perfectly right we might as well get rid of umpires all together, because human beings aren't capable of that.. Half the match will be spent in goddamn limbo. People don't repeat the howler thing just as a cliche, it's because it's the most realistic target for people who actually want to eliminate awful mistakes while getting on with the damn game. You can't have it both ways, there compromises to be made, and I think they've got it right with two reviews absolute max in an innings.
    Exit pursuing a beer

  4. #1699
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    12,046
    judy jono is a howler ftr


  5. #1700
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    33,057
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    whats your question newton?
    I really hope you're not serious with the claim that "UDRS created a howler".
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    get ready for a broken ****in' arm

  6. #1701
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    IL
    Posts
    22,065
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Hate this howler cliche that has been perpetuated until it becomes common thought. Drs is there to improve umpiring decisions, howler or not.
    BCCI syndrome?
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

    Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

  7. #1702
    Hall of Fame Member Howe_zat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    Top floor, bottom buzzer
    Posts
    16,696
    Reckon the bowling side should have one more than the batting side. Most agree that a batsman knows if he's hit it or not, bowlers aren't really in a position to make an informed choice.
    "Your averages, captain, coaches and players can probably survive incompetence over a relatively short series, so if youíre going to be rubbish, make sure itís against Pakistan, Sri Lanka, New Zealand or someone."

  8. #1703
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    #banblocky
    Posts
    20,372
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil Pickup View Post
    This x1000
    Also applies to fielding teams making "we'd quite like their best batsman to be out please" reviews.

    Might have been GIMP who pointed out that without lbws, 2 reviews an innings seemed to be a lot in last summer's England-India series.
    ​63*

  9. #1704
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Furball's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    #banblocky
    Posts
    20,372
    Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    It's not ideal that it's in the hands of the players, but currently that's the best option we've got. The day players don't need to be involved in the DRS is the day we won't need umpires anymore so it's a long way off tstl.
    What else do you suggest?

    If a batsman middles it into his pads and is given lbw, then surely it's the batsman who's best placed to challenge that particular decision?

    If we're proposing that we get the third umpire involved, what's the catalyst for getting the third umpire involved? An appeal? Then fielding sides will appeal for everything. At the behest of the on field umpire? Then they'll just refer all lbws in the same way they refervirtually every run out or stumping appeal.

  10. #1705
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    12,046
    Quote Originally Posted by Spark View Post
    I really hope you're not serious with the claim that "UDRS created a howler".
    well the batsman wouldn't have been out otherwise? Look clearly it was human error at fault, but it was also a product of having DRS. Wouldn't have been out in 1984.

    The tennis one that was mentioned earlier, why that isn't completely automatic I have no idea, it was instantaneous and clear that the ball was in. Rugby League is suffering immensely from video ref blundering and agonising. I don't know about AFL but pretty sure the goal review system was unpopular. Soccer doesn't have any review system and I'd reckon that refereeing blunders are less visible and no more common despite no review system.

    I was all in favour of DRS, I think it was a good idea, but it has failed. Could still have a place but needs huge changes.

  11. #1706
    State Vice-Captain Crazy Sam's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Brisbane, Australia
    Posts
    1,191
    The DRS was supposed to be in favour of the umpire's decision.

    The question to be asked should be "is there genuine evidence to overturn this decision", not "can we get this decision 100% correct down to a millimetre of hotspot evidence". This really shouldn't take more than a couple of views of the available replays/hot shot/etc. If there is doubt - bad luck - the decision goes in favour of the on-field umpire whose original decision stands.

    In my opinion, there are way too many LBW's being referred when the rules favour the umpire's decision so heavily (as opposed to favouring either 'bowlers' or 'batsmen').

    A decision like Clarke's LBW should not have been referred, especially with only one referral at their disposal. Although that still doesn't excuse the shockers from the two umpires either, who I am sure will each have a black mark against them for those.


    I think the current DRS system is spot on, although I think there is a case for two challenges in ODI's.
    Andrew Symonds 143*

  12. #1707
    Eternal Optimist / Cricket Web Staff Member GIMH's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    On a trip to the moon
    Posts
    49,125
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    Also applies to fielding teams making "we'd quite like their best batsman to be out please" reviews.

    Might have been GIMP who pointed out that without lbws, 2 reviews an innings seemed to be a lot in last summer's England-India series.
    Dunno it it was me or not but if I did say that then I agree with me. Sounds like the sort of thing I'd say; I'm a wise young man.
    Quote Originally Posted by DingDong View Post
    gimh has now surpassed richard as the greatest cw member ever imo

    RIP Craigos. A true CW legend. You will be missed.

  13. #1708
    International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    away from the palms
    Posts
    6,539
    Quote Originally Posted by GingerFurball View Post
    What else do you suggest?

    If a batsman middles it into his pads and is given lbw, then surely it's the batsman who's best placed to challenge that particular decision?

    If we're proposing that we get the third umpire involved, what's the catalyst for getting the third umpire involved? An appeal? Then fielding sides will appeal for everything. At the behest of the on field umpire? Then they'll just refer all lbws in the same way they refervirtually every run out or stumping appeal.
    Yeah I know I agree, I'm just pointing out how there's no perfect solution here

  14. #1709
    Cricket Web Staff Member / Global Moderator Neil Pickup's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2002
    Location
    Oxford, England
    Posts
    26,864
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    well the batsman wouldn't have been out otherwise? Look clearly it was human error at fault, but it was also a product of having DRS. Wouldn't have been out in 1984.

    The tennis one that was mentioned earlier, why that isn't completely automatic I have no idea, it was instantaneous and clear that the ball was in. Rugby League is suffering immensely from video ref blundering and agonising. I don't know about AFL but pretty sure the goal review system was unpopular. Soccer doesn't have any review system and I'd reckon that refereeing blunders are less visible and no more common despite no review system.

    I was all in favour of DRS, I think it was a good idea, but it has failed. Could still have a place but needs huge changes.
    Agreed. Never any dispute about football refereeing decisions. I think Ferguson said how high the quality of officiating was only yesterday.
    MSN Messenger: minardineil2000 at hotmail dot com | AAAS Chairman
    CricketWeb Black | CricketWeb XI Captain
    ClarkeWatch: We're Watching Rikki - Are You?

    Up The Grecians - Exeter City FC

    Completing the Square: My Cricket Web Blog

  15. #1710
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,253
    Quote Originally Posted by GIMH View Post
    Dunno it it was me or not but if I did say that then I agree with me. Sounds like the sort of thing I'd say; I'm a wise young man.
    ****test post of the thread, for mine.
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. CricSim/PlanetCricket Discussion etc
    By ripper868 in forum Testing Forum
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 17-08-2010, 07:15 PM
  2. Sri Lanka Thread
    By chaminda_00 in forum 2009 ICC World Twenty20
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-05-2009, 06:29 AM
  3. Trade Discussion Thread
    By Simon in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 137
    Last Post: 15-04-2009, 04:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •