View Poll Results: UDRS?

Voters
135. You may not vote on this poll
  • In favour

    112 82.96%
  • Opposed

    13 9.63%
  • BCCI is the best organisation out

    10 7.41%
Page 113 of 125 FirstFirst ... 1363103111112113114115123 ... LastLast
Results 1,681 to 1,695 of 1874
Like Tree8Likes

Thread: ***Official*** DRS discussion thread

  1. #1681
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by Marcuss View Post
    Because if you waste your referrals on non-howlers you don't deserve to use them for their correct purpose.
    This.

    Really, if you accept that the DRS as it is is there to overturn "howlers" then Clarke's thought process before reviewing an LBW should have been:

    1) Did I hit the cover off it
    2) Did it hit me a foot outside off
    3) Did it pitch a foot outside leg
    4) Did it hit me on the thigh when i was halfway down the pitch

    If the answer to all the above is no the Clarke's conclusion should have been "Accept the decision, it's too close to call and we might need the review for a genuine howler later in the innings" as opposed to "What would Watto do..."

  2. #1682
    Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Adelaide, South Australia
    Posts
    23,066
    The decision-making process changes when you're one of the side's guns, though. Mitch Johnson referring a 'non-howler' is a different thing to Clarke doing it. On this occasion it cost Warner and that sucks but it's rare and I think it was worth the risk.

    All this obfuscates that both Pistol and Erasmus missed some big edges on their watch, though.
    The Colourphonics

    Bandcamp
    Twitderp

  3. #1683
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by Top_Cat View Post
    The decision-making process changes when you're one of the side's guns, though. Mitch Johnson referring a 'non-howler' is a different thing to Clarke doing it. On this occasion it cost Warner and that sucks but it's rare and I think it was worth the risk.

    All this obfuscates that both Pistol and Erasmus missed some big edges on their watch, though.
    Don't disagree with you tactically... But once again it comes back to what you want the system to achieve. And more importantly people not having a **** at the system when it isn't used correctly.

    I suspect we're a some way from having a system everyone is happy with (even ignoring the BCCI) but I think the risk/reward/flow of the game balance is about right as it is.

    Having said that I'm fairly ambivalent as to whether or not to increase the reviews to 2 in ODI's and 3 in Tests.

    Erasmus' mistake was horrible... Pistol's less so, looked out in real time tbh.

  4. #1684
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    11,639
    Quote Originally Posted by vicky View Post
    Don't disagree with you tactically... But once again it comes back to what you want the system to achieve. And more importantly people not having a **** at the system when it isn't used correctly.

    I suspect we're a some way from having a system everyone is happy with (even ignoring the BCCI) but I think the risk/reward/flow of the game balance is about right as it is.

    Having said that I'm fairly ambivalent as to whether or not to increase the reviews to 2 in ODI's and 3 in Tests.

    Erasmus' mistake was horrible... Pistol's less so, looked out in real time tbh.
    it is a fault in the system that it allows fallible players in the heat of the moment to make a poor decision
    Quote Originally Posted by sledger View Post
    I just love all kinds of balls.


  5. #1685
    School Boy/Girl Captain
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    198
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    it is a fault in the system that it allows fallible players in the heat of the moment to make a poor decision
    Only be an issue if you're using it as a tactical tool... If the team has decided to use it for howlers only then shouldn't cause a problem. If OTOH the team has agreed to use it tactically (ie 50/50 for a gun player) then the side needs to accept that, like any other tactical move, it may not pay off, so again don't **** if you lose the review and need it later on for a genuine howler.

    I'm assuming here that players will stick to the team plan rather than risk a bollocking for wasting a review..

  6. #1686
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    11,639
    hey I'm not saying there aren't ways around it, but to me it's a fault that this system allows it

  7. #1687
    International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    away from the palms
    Posts
    6,315
    That's like saying the justice system fails because it allows a crime to happen before the person gets punished...
    Exit pursuing a beer

  8. #1688
    International Coach
    Suicide Bob Champion!
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    Not really needed on CW
    Posts
    12,536
    Albi is spot on here.

    The system as it is without a doubt increases the number of correct decisions made. It's up to the teams themselves how effective it is. If you perceive that to be a fault in the system, then yeah, you're right, but what's the alternative? If you take away UDRS completely then you're essentially saying you're happy with fewer correct decisions being made.

    If your argument against the UDRS is that it saps the enjoyment out of the game by disrupting the flow of play that's fair enough, but honestly 2mins of a replay in an entire innings means **** all when compared to a potential match deciding decision being overturned. Poor umpiring calls, that's what saps the enjoyment out of a game more than most things for me personally.
    Last edited by Daemon; 20-01-2013 at 10:01 PM.

  9. #1689
    International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    away from the palms
    Posts
    6,315
    It's not ideal that it's in the hands of the players, but currently that's the best option we've got. The day players don't need to be involved in the DRS is the day we won't need umpires anymore so it's a long way off tstl.

  10. #1690
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    11,639
    Quote Originally Posted by wellAlbidarned View Post
    That's like saying the justice system fails because it allows a crime to happen before the person gets punished...
    **** analogies **** me, and thats a bad one. it's nothing like that at all.

    someone was given caught behind the other day off absolutely no evidence, can't remember who that was but instead of preventing a howler, it actually created one

  11. #1691
    Virat Kohli (c) Jono's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    54,599
    my main gripe with uvelocity is that he ruins the flow in CW. Takes the enjoyment out of the place.

  12. #1692
    International Coach uvelocity's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    seamy road
    Posts
    11,639
    love your avatar ****

  13. #1693
    Global Moderator Spark's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    A Blood Rainbow
    Posts
    32,235
    Quote Originally Posted by uvelocity View Post
    **** analogies **** me, and thats a bad one. it's nothing like that at all.

    someone was given caught behind the other day off absolutely no evidence, can't remember who that was but instead of preventing a howler, it actually created one
    ???
    + time's fickle card game ~ with you and i +


    get ready for a broken ****in' arm

  14. #1694
    International Captain wellAlbidarned's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Location
    away from the palms
    Posts
    6,315
    I'll admit my analogy sucked but your argument remains invalid

  15. #1695
    Request Your Custom Title Now! benchmark00's Avatar
    Tournaments Won: 1
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Is this CricketWeb's greatest poster in the short history of the forum?
    Posts
    37,156
    Should scrap it all and play cricket how it's meant to be played IMO.
    Parmi | #1 draft pick | Jake King is **** | Big Bash League tipping champion of the universe
    Come and Paint Turtle
    Quote Originally Posted by Jono View Post
    Kohli. Do something in test cricket for once please.

    Thanks.



Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Similar Threads

  1. CricSim/PlanetCricket Discussion etc
    By ripper868 in forum Testing Forum
    Replies: 80
    Last Post: 17-08-2010, 06:15 PM
  2. Sri Lanka Thread
    By chaminda_00 in forum 2009 ICC World Twenty20
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 05-05-2009, 05:29 AM
  3. Trade Discussion Thread
    By Simon in forum World Club Cricket
    Replies: 137
    Last Post: 15-04-2009, 03:15 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •