• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

***Official*** DRS discussion thread

UDRS?

• Total voters

vcs

Request Your Custom Title Now!
I don't know if this makes a difference, but HawkEye in tennis is used to track a known event. In cricket it tracks a known event up until the ball strikes the pad. It then has to extrapolate what it knows has happened and predict what would have happened had the ball not hit the pad. Whether that adds time, I don't know.

The above is a very messy paragraph, but hopefully you guys get what I'm talking about.
I don't think that should be an issue.. AFAIC, it should be a straightforward projectile motion problem that we learn in basic physics, unless I'm missing something obvious. :unsure: Obviously, the Hawkeye cameras have to collect enough data to do the extrapolation.

smash84

The Tiger King
The three piece adds nothing in terms of functionality over the shorts and vest. The analogy doesn't stand.
Of course it does unless you think that shorts and vest (chaddi and banyan) offer nothing more to you than does a 3 piece suit.

The suit offers more style, class, elegance, fits in with the dress code of most places, allows you access to hotels and other exclusive places etc etc

Yes, but this ignores the fact that the BCCI is not just any kid, It is a stubborn, bull-headed, mean kid who doesn't care about the father's other kids as the father loves him more and hence is ready to run naked till the father gives in and gets him the three-piece.
:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I don't think that should be an issue.. AFAIC, it should be a straightforward projectile motion problem that we learn in basic physics, unless I'm missing something obvious. :unsure: Obviously, the Hawkeye cameras have to collect enough data to do the extrapolation.
Like I said, I don't know the ins and outs - I'm merely speculating as to why it might not be possible to have an instantaneous HawkEye the way it appears in Tennis.

vcs

Of course it does unless you think that shorts and vest (chaddi and banyan) offer nothing more to you than does a 3 piece suit.

The suit offers more style, class, elegance, fits in with the dress code of most places, allows you access to hotels and other exclusive places etc etc

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
I could forego a 3 piece suit for the rest of my life but I doubt I could do the same for my chaddi-banyan.

vcs

Like I said, I don't know the ins and outs - I'm merely speculating as to why it might not be possible to have an instantaneous HawkEye the way it appears in Tennis.
I think the Hawkeye graphic comes up pretty instantaneously... it's one of the others (Snicko/Hotspot) that apparently is a problem.

G.I.Joe

International Coach

All of which are irrelevant to the pressing matter at hand, i.e. ensuring that you're clothed.

A more suitable analogy would be a choice between crotchless underwear and underwear that isn't crotchless. Would you take the crotchless underwear because it atleast covers up your ass crack? That's better than nothing, isn't it?

GIMH

Norwood's on Fire
Having followed a team who have played their last 4 series with UDRS, I can't imagine Test cricket without it.

There were plenty of umpiring errors made in the Ashes. The reason there's been no song and dance about them is because there was a system in place to rectify those errors.
Yes, and the only one that affected the outcome of a match (or may have done) was when Hussey wasn't given lbw on the third morning at Brisbane. There could be no complaints as we had wasted our reviews.

Edit - although we didn't have it in either Bangladesh series IIRC.

Last edited:

vcs

All of which are irrelevant to the pressing matter at hand, i.e. ensuring that you're clothed.

A more suitable analogy would be a choice between crotchless underwear and underwear that isn't crotchless. Would you take the crotchless underwear because it atleast covers up your ass crack? That's better than nothing, isn't it?
Haha, if I had a signature, I would put that in there. :laugh:

What a bizarre path this thread is taking.

smash84

The Tiger King

lol........not that your analogy fits perfectly but it is funny........i think i will take the crotchless underwear.............

and what will you do???? keep your ass exposed to all and sundry?????????

G.I.Joe

International Coach
lol........not that your analogy fits perfectly but it is funny........i think i will take the crotchless underwear.............

and what will you do???? keep your ass exposed to all and sundry?????????
No, I'd take the underwear that isn't crotchless :unsure:

smash84

The Tiger King
No, I'd take the underwear that isn't crotchless :unsure:
lol...........but that isn't available to you..........the big bad bully has kept it locked away and now you only have the option of going around totally exposed or partially exposed.....what do you choose?????

G.I.Joe

International Coach
lol...........but that isn't available to you..........the big bad bully has kept it locked away and now you only have the option of going around totally exposed or partially exposed.....what do you choose?????
I think men look like tools in crotchless underwear. Pun unintended.

On a serious note, thats precisely my point. Why keep the underwear locked away? Whats the rationale for that? Does it hurt you to admit to its existence? Fair enough I'd accept the crotchless solution (so to speak) if it was proven to me that regular underwear doesn't exist or it is not feasible to implement it. Maybe its just my stubbornness, but I'm not going to take it as axiomatic that regular underwear is not an option, without good reason.

Last edited:

morgieb

Yes, and the only one that affected the outcome of a match (or may have done) was when Hussey wasn't given lbw on the third morning at Brisbane. There could be no complaints as we had wasted our reviews.

Edit - although we didn't have it in either Bangladesh series IIRC.
Why not?