• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa Domestic Season 2011/12

Marius

International Debutant
Rudolph was always in and there abouts with the NAT. The problem was his inability to step up to the next level. That was 6-7 years ago so who knows now.
A number of guys have had good "second comings" if you can call it that, especially Australians.

Langer, martyn, Hayden to name a few. And McKenzie had a pretty decwent second stab at Test cricket if you are looking for a Saffa.

So, I think Rudoplh could definitely make a go at a successful test career again.

Howe_zat

Audio File
I've never seen anything but a top notch player from Rudolph.

If South Africa had someone else filling the space through weight of Test performance, or even a specially talented youngster, I'd see the reason for keeping him out. But Petersen is really neither.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
I've never seen anything but a top notch player from Rudolph.

If South Africa had someone else filling the space through weight of Test performance, or even a specially talented youngster, I'd see the reason for keeping him out. But Petersen is really neither.
Would Rudolph be allowed to replace Petersen, who's Coloured?

Genuine question, I've always been under the impression that 4 of South Africa's XI had to be players who were previously disadvantaged - their last Test lineup contained Petersen (coloured), Amla (Indian), Prince (coloured) and Tsotsobe (African). Can a white cricketer come in for any of the 4 mentioned?

Briony

International Debutant
Would Rudolph be allowed to replace Petersen, who's Coloured?

Genuine question, I've always been under the impression that 4 of South Africa's XI had to be players who were previously disadvantaged - their last Test lineup contained Petersen (coloured), Amla (Indian), Prince (coloured) and Tsotsobe (African). Can a white cricketer come in for any of the 4 mentioned?

Think occasionally they've played three non-whites. If Tahir plays instead of Harris it changes the balance. Surely though, Rudolph should replace Smith, not Petersen. The former should play domestic cricket to get into form for the SL series; he looks too much like a walking wicket for the Aussie ones with Bollinger and /or Johnson ready to knock him over first ball. Surely anybody who palpably can't play left-arm bowling shouldn't be playing for his country.

Marius

International Debutant
Think occasionally they've played three non-whites. If Tahir plays instead of Harris it changes the balance. Surely though, Rudolph should replace Smith, not Petersen. The former should play domestic cricket to get into form for the SL series; he looks too much like a walking wicket for the Aussie ones with Bollinger and /or Johnson ready to knock him over first ball. Surely anybody who palpably can't play left-arm bowling shouldn't be playing for his country.
Yeah, I think Rudolph should replace Smith, not Petersen, but that is unlikelky to happen, not while Smith is captain.

However, if AB isn't fit you will have Duminy and Prince in the middle order, so your team will probably look like this:

Smith
Rudolph
Amla
Kallis
Prince
Duminy
Boucher
Steyn
M Morkel
Tahir
Tsotsobe

And strictly speaking, Tahir probably doesn't count as "black". According to the Employment Equity Act, people only count as "black" for the purposes of EE if they were citizens of SA prior to 27 April 1994.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Mmm, I'd forgotten about the quota system.

And strictly speaking, Tahir probably doesn't count as "black". According to the Employment Equity Act, people only count as "black" for the purposes of EE if they were citizens of SA prior to 27 April 1994.
Yeah, it's quite clear whatever quota there is isn't there to help people like Tahir.

The 1994 rule is interesting. It won't be long before they're dealing with people born after that date.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
Mmm, I'd forgotten about the quota system.

Yeah, it's quite clear whatever quota there is isn't there to help people like Tahir.

The 1994 rule is interesting. It won't be long before they're dealing with people born after that date.
Think the point is that people born after that date never lived under apartheid and so in theory haven't been previously disadvantaged.

And Tahir, as an immigrant, wouldn't have been previously disadvantaged and thus is effectively white as far as the quota system is concerned.

Howe_zat

Audio File
Think the point is that people born after that date never lived under apartheid and so in theory haven't been previously disadvantaged.

And Tahir, as an immigrant, wouldn't have been previously disadvantaged and thus is effectively white as far as the quota system is concerned.
They can't really count people born after 1994 as white though, can they? After all, the purpose is to cancel out disadvantages that still exist, even though said disadvantages aren't intentional any more.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
They can't really count people born after 1994 as white though, can they? After all, the purpose is to cancel out disadvantages that still exist, even though said disadvantages aren't intentional any more.
No, but in theory anyone born after April 27th 1994 has grown up in a South Africa where eveyone is equal and where skin colour doesn't matter. Someone like Makhaya Ntini, Lonwabo Tsotsobe, Ashwell Prince or Hashim Amla, have all lived part of their lives where they personally would have been discriminated against. In theory, their sons won't have grown up with the institutionalised discrimination their fathers suffered.

The reality of course is different; the end of apartheid hasn't at a stroke removed the disadvantages that blacks, coloureds and Indians have suffered from as a result of apartheid. That will take generations to put right, if it can be put right.

From afar the point of affirmative action legislation would be an attempt to right the wrongs of apartheid and address the fact that non-whites will have suffered as a result of discrimination in education etc. which affects them getting good jobs, housing etc. In theory, if not in practice, a black kid born in 1995 has had equal access to education etc so shouldn't need legislation to address an imbalance that hasn't existed in their lifetime - although the discrimination suffered by their parents will still have majorly disadvantaged them growing up.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Thami Tsolekile is averaging close to 50 for the Lions franchise in FC cricket, with over 1100 runs scored in 20 odd games. Not bad from Thami and presumably once Bouch fails in the Aus tests and South Africa get smashed, Thami will be in the mix in a new look RSA side to take on Sri Lanka.

Marius

International Debutant
Thami Tsolekile is averaging close to 50 for the Lions franchise in FC cricket, with over 1100 runs scored in 20 odd games. Not bad from Thami and presumably once Bouch fails in the Aus tests and South Africa get smashed, Thami will be in the mix in a new look RSA side to take on Sri Lanka.
Yeah, he may be the dude.

But I think Heino Kuhn seems to be the guy who the selectors have targeted to replace Boucher for now.

Briony

International Debutant
I see that Jon-Jon Smuts made a ton yesterday opening. He looked quite skilful in the CL. Is he a chance of making it?

BTW, are there some anomalies with the quota, previously disadvantaged policy? I cite Bodi who was picked ahead of Pietersen as a quota player for his domestic team yet was born outside the country and wouldn't have spent much time under apartheid. Then there is Gibbs who was considered a non-white player and counted as quota but I've read several times that he went to a wealthy private school and his folks were better off than a lot of the white kids he could have been picked ahead of as a quota. No doubting of course that Gibbs was good enough to be selected regardless of quotas.

Briony

International Debutant
A guy called Quinton de Kock who blitzed England in the recent Under 19s matches between the countries has been starring in their first class set-up. He's a keeper and has a first class average near seventy. Anyone know anything about him?

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I see that Jon-Jon Smuts made a ton yesterday opening. He looked quite skilful in the CL. Is he a chance of making it?
Possibly in limited overs but he looked awful against genuine pace in the Champions League. Every other delivery he faced against Lee the ball was coming off the splice. Ingram is a better bet but he doesn't like batting for more than 30 minutes.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
A guy called Quinton de Kock who blitzed England in the recent Under 19s matches between the countries has been starring in their first class set-up. He's a keeper and has a first class average near seventy. Anyone know anything about him?
No but it can't be long until he gets more of a go in franchise cricket. Think he debuted last year and got a duck for the Lions but what with Thami getting into the A team and Bouch being under some pressure to perform, he should get a few more knocks with the Lions this season and then tour Aus next summer for the emerging players tournament.

Briony

International Debutant
No but it can't be long until he gets more of a go in franchise cricket. Think he debuted last year and got a duck for the Lions but what with Thami getting into the A team and Bouch being under some pressure to perform, he should get a few more knocks with the Lions this season and then tour Aus next summer for the emerging players tournament.

I see that the Lions have a game on Wed. night and their #1 keeper will be playing against oz in the warmup game so he might get a gig in the big time.

Noticed that Obus Pienaar made another quick seventy odd. It's been mentioned that people don't rate him but he did well in the emerging tournie and is consistent in their domestic scene.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
I see that the Lions have a game on Wed. night and their #1 keeper will be playing against oz in the warmup game so he might get a gig in the big time.

Noticed that Obus Pienaar made another quick seventy odd. It's been mentioned that people don't rate him but he did well in the emerging tournie and is consistent in their domestic scene.
Should be a certainty then and he may get a gig opening with Virus captaining the A team.

Not heard much criticism of Pienaar, think people were just amazed how he went from a guy who at one time batted 10 for RSA U19 and was opening the bowling in franchise cricket (and taking wickets), to scoring run-a-ball double hundreds and being a very part-time bowler who goes around the park at 8 runs an over. Thought he was unlucky not to be playing as a batsman only against Aus tomorrow.

SeamUp

International Coach
Quinton De Kock is a star in the making, playing brilliantly here. Talent sticks out and he has adaptability to his games and not the hard hands of many other young talented batsman around.

Him along with Shaylen Pillay, James Price, Prenelan Subrayen, Calvin Savage, Jan Frylinck, Daryn Dupavillon are the young players with bright futures in SA cricket.

TT Boy

Hall of Fame Member
Franchise debut in List A cricket with the Lions as well. Plenty of time for de Kock to get a big hundred against a very good domestic attack.