• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa Domestic Season 2011/12

SeamUp

International Coach
Pretty good looking side, what are your thoughts on Colin Ingram? I know he's got two ODI tons but he has not done anything for a while now it seems.
I've always had the opinion that Ingram would struggle to make the step-up but he is a top bloke. Really is. His format is definitely limited overs and T20 cricket eventhough he improved on his fc batting form this season. For instance he has come right back to captain the Warriors and is scoring lots of runs for them and started their climb up the T20 league now.

There are other batsman in the domestic league who I wouldn't be surprised to see called up to either ODI or T20 sides in the coming years, they are: We've seen Richard Levi and Colin Ingram but there is also David Miller, Jonathan Vandiar and Farhaan Behardien of the Titans. Obviously the FC players above could make it as well. A good player can play all forms.

Getting back to Colin, by no means can he not make it because as you say he has scored 2 ODI hundreds but if he really wants to nail down a spot, he needs to work on some technical deficiencies.

Last edited:

sonnench

U19 12th Man
Thanks for answering my questions mate, really insightful.

I am really looking forward to the Under 19 WC, hoping S.A puts in a good show in. Got N.Z first up which could be tricky. Australia will most likely have Cummins so maybe they should just declare them champs already.

I hope Ingram is able to step up, like you said he needs to sort out his technical problems.

Last question (I promise...for today) Kallis is getting on a bit, and will have to eventually retire (as much as he doesn't think so) are there any decent all rounders in South Africa who have the potential to take his place. If i look at stats, Obus Pienaar seems to be decent, but obviously you can't compare him to the great Jacques.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Thanks for answering my questions mate, really insightful.

I am really looking forward to the Under 19 WC, hoping S.A puts in a good show in. Got N.Z first up which could be tricky. Australia will most likely have Cummins so maybe they should just declare them champs already.

I hope Ingram is able to step up, like you said he needs to sort out his technical problems.

Last question (I promise...for today) Kallis is getting on a bit, and will have to eventually retire (as much as he doesn't think so) are there any decent all rounders in South Africa who have the potential to take his place. If i look at stats, Obus Pienaar seems to be decent, but obviously you can't compare him to the great Jacques.
Haha its no problem mate, its good to have another Protea supporter on here as there aren't many. Probably not even 10 of us.

I am quietly confident ahead of the WC, the marker ususally for u19 cricket is Pakistan...and we competed very well with them recently. Will be interesting to see if Cummins plays, I suppose he does need the cricket after injury.

Tough, tough on the Kallis question. I think there is a hope that maybe Wayne Parnell could eventually bat 6 or 7 and become a strike bowler when needs be as his bowling has fallen off. But trust me he has proper batting technique and really could do the job one-day. I haven't seen much of Chris Morris bat but what I have seen is that he players proper cricket strokes and has a good technique as well so I would say they are two best for now. Albie Morkel in 3rd probably.

On Obus Pienaar, I wouldn't say his game is suited to test cricket (bit of a hitter) and his bowling is not of test level but still a very good limited overs player.

Another player, is Stiaan Van Zyl who has real potential to play test cricket and he bowls little seamers.

But I suppose if we can't find the all-rounder to bat as high as 4 which is unbelievable as he has done, even 3 for so long then you either pick a very good batting keeper like De Kock to bat 6 and pick a Parnell/Morris for 7 or you just pick your 6 best batsman and keeper and 4 bowlers.

In the youth ranks...

Shaylen Pillay who has been in the current SA u19 side since 16 years of age is one. Done well for Gauteng amateur side in the game he has played so far as well.

Another is a name I haven't mentioned on here yet, goes to my former school, Rondebosch Boys in Cape Town...name is Dayyaan Galiem. Now Rondebosch has a proud history when producing batsman from John Commins, HD Ackerman, Gary Kirsten, Jonathan Trott and Andrew Puttick and we currently have our best first XI ever and 2 15 year olds are in the team which is unusually early to be in 1st XI at such a top school. They are Galiem as I mentioned and John Commins son, Murray. Both play WP age group team ahead of their age groups.

In Galiems case became the first WP junior to score hundreds for the u13, u15 and u19 side...yes u19 side. Got his debut against Border redcently and top scored with 102 not out. Also got a hundred at the recent u15 week as an u14.

Then, in a schoolboy match he bowled out a school and got 9/1. So they decided to play a T20 gmae after that because the game ended so qucikly and he scored 196!

Interestlingly, its his bowling shaping up more for the 1st team at the moment but is a batting all-rounder. Got a five-for againt SACS (major school), did well against Wynbgerg as well (another major school) and then against our biggest rivals on Saturday bowled Bishops out for 27 and he got 7/16. All this as a 15 year-old. It should not be done at his age.

Last edited:

sonnench

U19 12th Man
Haha its no problem mate, its good to have another Protea supporter on here as there aren't many. Probably not even 10 of us.
I was not sure whether to sign up for this forum or planet cricket, but the activity and this thread itself actually made me choose this one. But we will grow in numbers :twisted:

I am quietly confident ahead of the WC, the marker ususally for u19 cricket is Pakistan...and we competed very well with them recently. Will be interesting to see if Cummins plays, I suppose he does need the cricket after injury.
I followed the matches against Pakistan on Cricinfo and it was quite evenly matched. Have confidence as long as De Kock is leading the side, we should do well.

Tough, tough on the Kallis question. I think there is a hope that maybe Wayne Parnell could eventually bat 6 or 7 and become a strike bowler when needs be as his bowling has fallen off. But trust me he has proper batting technique and really could do the job one-day. I haven't seen much of Chris Morris bat but what I have seen is that he players proper cricket strokes and has a good technique as well so I would say they are two best for now. Albie Morkel in 3rd probably.

On Obus Pienaar, I wouldn't say his game is suited to test cricket (bit of a hitter) and his bowling is not of test level but still a very good limited overs player.

Another player, is Stiaan Van Zyl who has real potential to play test cricket and he bowls little seamers.

But I suppose if we can't find the all-rounder to bat as high as 4 which is unbelievable as he has done, even 3 for so long then you either pick a very good batting keeper like De Kock to bat 6 and pick a Parnell/Morris for 7 or you just pick your 6 best batsman and keeper and 4 bowlers.
I know, was not an easy question. Interesting take on Parnell though, he does seem very capable with the bat. In the 3rd ODI in which he opened he played some pretty good shots and looked quite composed. Hoping he can develop his batting and improve his bowling, and maybe one day he can cement his place in the team. I have never really been a big fan of Albie, even though his record speaks quite well. Will be interesting to see how guys like Pienaar and van Zyl progress though, hopefully one of them makes the step up.

In the youth ranks...

Shaylen Pillay who has been in the current SA u19 side since 16 years of age is one. Done well for Gauteng amateur side in the game he has played so far as well.

Another is a name I haven't mentioned on here yet, goes to my former school, Rondebosch Boys in Cape Town...name is Dayyaan Galiem. Now Rondebosch has a proud history when producing batsman from John Commins, HD Ackerman, Gary Kirsten, Jonathan Trott and Andrew Puttick and we currently have our best first XI ever and 2 15 year olds are in the team which is unusually early to be in 1st XI at such a top school. They are Galiem as I mentioned and John Commins son, Murray. Both play WP age group team ahead of their age groups.

In Galiems case became the first WP junior to score hundreds for the u13, u15 and u19 side...yes u19 side. Got his debut against Border redcently and top scored with 102 not out. Also got a hundred at the recent u15 week as an u14.

Then, in a schoolboy match he bowled out a school and got 9/1. So they decided to play a T20 gmae after that because the game ended so qucikly and he scored 196!

Interestlingly, its his bowling shaping up more for the 1st team at the moment but is a batting all-rounder. Got a five-for againt SACS (major school), did well against Wynbgerg as well (another major school) and then against our biggest rivals on Saturday bowled Bishops out for 27 and he got 7/16. All this as a 15 year-old. It should not be done at his age.
Man, this kid you speak of sounds like a beast. Sounds quite unbelievable actually, hope he is able to for fill his potential and do the business in higher grades.

Rasimione

U19 Captain
With regard to Stiaan Van Zyl i thnk its now or never. I hope he does not become a VBJ. And talking of Ingram, from what i have seen he wont make it at the top. Just a gut feel. Im really hoping Harmer and Morris make the T20 side.Tsolekile aint as bad as he is made out to be, but his batting is terribad and if he is batting at 7 i foresee trouble.

sonnench

U19 12th Man
SeamUp, is there any way i'm able to watch videos or clips of the domestic cricket in S.A? New Zealand have a very handy website and you can literately watch every ball bowled in domestic cricket on your computer.

SeamUp

International Coach
SeamUp, is there any way i'm able to watch videos or clips of the domestic cricket in S.A? New Zealand have a very handy website and you can literately watch every ball bowled in domestic cricket on your computer.
Here you go: SuperSport - Cricket

Never watched live streaming of the games that are shown live on tv here but looks like you can.

Also highlights of previous games.

SeamUp

International Coach
Some updates

Rory Kleinveldt was tested positive for Cannabis so will serve a suspension. Unsure for how long. Was putting some decent performances in this season but now like Vaughn Van Jaarsveld this could put paid to any potential international ambitions.

Dean Elgar is back from his bad injury and played for the Kinights yesterday and got them over the line against Impi. An Elgar in the runs will put huge pressure on Alviro Petersen in the test team.

Saw Prenelan Subrayen bowl for the first time for the Dolphins and on his debut he impressed. Without doubt a spinner for the future for South Africa.

Jean Symes of the Lions will play for Scotland in the English domestic one-day comp as the overseas player.

SeamUp

International Coach
LOL @ Rory. I thought he was on the diet pills. Silly prat.
Haha thats what I thought first up (ala VVJ) but then I read he admitted the cannabis story and was ever so remorseful. 8-)

I think prat is to kind a word!

SeamUp

International Coach
So with one-round log fixtures left, we know who has qualified for the qualifier and who has got the to the final and won the log stages in the MIWAY T20.

Lions have won the tournament and will play either the Knights or Titans (venue yet to be decided for qualifier) at the Wanderers in the final.

Will be interesting to see if performers are rewarded with Protea call-ups.

Farhaan Behardien, Chris Morris and Dane Vilas may have got themselves into the Protea T20 squad.

Richard Levi
Hashim Amla/Jacques Kallis/Jonathan Vandiar/Rilee Rossouw
Dane Vilas/Quinton De Kock/Faf Du Plessis/Colin Ingram
AB De Villiers
JP Duminy
Farhaan Behardien/Justin Ontong/Albie Morkel/Dave Miller
Chris Morris/Wayne Parnell
Johan Botha
Robin Peterson
Dale Steyn/Marchant De Lange
Morne Morkel/Lonwabo Tsotsobe