• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

South Africa Domestic Season 2011/12

SeamUp

International Coach
de Kock really should be fast-tracked.
He must just keep scoring runs and when he gets the opportunity to get the gloves he must be solid so that the selctors will eventually buckle under the pressure.

Because Thami will fail at the higher level. That I will gaurantee.

Briony

International Debutant
de Kock should focus on actually getting selected in his franchise's four day team before anything else.
It seems he deserves too but his franchise is hellbent on playing an ageing neverwas instead.

If they bold and took a punt on youth they probably wouldn't be disappointed.

SeamUp

International Coach
Chris Morris took the best figures of our T20 last night with 4-22 and now is the leading wicket-taker.

Then came in when the Lions needed 29 off last 3 overs and went 4,6,6,2,1 and basically got them home.

Won't be surprised to see him in T20 squad but has capabilities of ODIs and tests eventually. Will definitely be involved on the SA 'A' tour to Ireland for the longer version cricket.

SeamUp

International Coach
Morris is a gun. How fast do you reckon he bowls?@SeamUP?
Before the Lions first T20 game, Shafiek Abrahams (selector) and Mike Haysman were talking that he was bowling 145 in the SSS games. Supposedly he was really running in well on some flatter pitches in the SSS and that impressed the selectors greatly.

When I first saw him, his speed range was quite varied and never consistent but of course his height and when he hits the seam it adds to his dangers to batsman. So from what I have seen this season with the white ball and not the red ball from him was a speed range of 136 to 142 kmph.

Could make the once off T20 but definitely play the Zim T20 series.

SeamUp

International Coach
^^^^ Even Albie Morkel.

He nearly did it again tonight, Morris. Sure he was expensive with the ball but so were Nannes and Tanvir and he got the key wicket of Stiaan Van Zyl.

Then got 32* off 15 balls. Needed 20 off the last over with needing 4 off the last ball and they ran 2 so couldn't quite get the Lions home this time Chris Morris.

Vandiar also had a good knock tonight.

But Lions unearthed two gems in De Kock and Morris. Really have.

Last edited:

SeamUp

International Coach
Got to feel for the Dolphins.

Had 5 of their 10 One-day cup games effected by rain and now 3 T20 games in a row have been rained off for them and has basically made them need a miracle to qualify for the play-off game.

That hurts someone like a Dave Miller who didn't really have many opportunities in One-day cup to score big runs to push for Proteas slection and now its happening in T20 as well.

kingkallis

International Coach
Before the Lions first T20 game, Shafiek Abrahams (selector) and Mike Haysman were talking that he was bowling 145 in the SSS games. Supposedly he was really running in well on some flatter pitches in the SSS and that impressed the selectors greatly.

When I first saw him, his speed range was quite varied and never consistent but of course his height and when he hits the seam it adds to his dangers to batsman. So from what I have seen this season with the white ball and not the red ball from him was a speed range of 136 to 142 kmph.

Could make the once off T20 but definitely play the Zim T20 series.
This guy did play a game or two for South Africa. A spinner. Right??

Briony

International Debutant
Levi scored a quickfire half ton again and de Kock continues to impress. Will they bite the bullet on the latter and promote when Boucher calls it a day after England?

sonnench

U19 12th Man
Really loving these updates on S.A cricket SeamUp. I rely on this and cricinfo as i live in N.Z now so it's great to catch up on all the news and stuff. Keep it coming.

And by the sounds of it, South Africa maybe have found our own Gilchrist and a replacement for Boucher.

SeamUp

International Coach
Really loving these updates on S.A cricket SeamUp. I rely on this and cricinfo as i live in N.Z now so it's great to catch up on all the news and stuff. Keep it coming.

And by the sounds of it, South Africa maybe have found our own Gilchrist and a replacement for Boucher.
Thanks mate.

Quinton is a superb talent without doubt, but I would like to see him get into the 4-day team for the Lions but Tsolekile is there. Obviously saying the last bit with irritation. When Tsolekile gets called up to Proteas when Bouch retires, we will see Quinton hopefully lay down his marker for the longer version of the game. Well, I think that is the plan from the powers that be. Whether Tsolekile lasts long is another matter.

sonnench

U19 12th Man
Thanks mate.

Quinton is a superb talent without doubt, but I would like to see him get into the 4-day team for the Lions but Tsolekile is there. Obviously saying the last bit with irritation. When Tsolekile gets called up to Proteas when Bouch retires, we will see Quinton hopefully lay down his marker for the longer version of the game. Well, I think that is the plan from the powers that be. Whether Tsolekile lasts long is another matter.
Yeah I don't think there are too many people in South Africa who actually want Thami in the side, but like you said at least that will give Quinton a chance to show his worth and make a statement. He does so far however, look like a player we have never had before, seems quite unique.

Also I'm quite interested in the SA under 19's progress, i was wondering who do you think will be the obvious choices for the upcoming World Cup in Aus, and who do you reckon has the goods to make it to the Senior side?

SeamUp

International Coach
I know the T20 is still going but thought I would do what the probable SA 'A' side would be:

First class

1. Dean Elgar (c)
2. Reeza Hendricks
3. Stiaan Van Zyl
4. Rilee Rossouw
5. Faf Du Plessis
6. Temba Bavuma
7. Dane Vilas (+)
8. Chris Morris
9. Simon Harmer
10. Rory Keinveldt
11. Quinton Friend

sonnench

U19 12th Man
Pretty good looking side, what are your thoughts on Colin Ingram? I know he's got two ODI tons but he has not done anything for a while now it seems.

SeamUp

International Coach
Yeah I don't think there are too many people in South Africa who actually want Thami in the side, but like you said at least that will give Quinton a chance to show his worth and make a statement. He does so far however, look like a player we have never had before, seems quite unique.

Also I'm quite interested in the SA under 19's progress, i was wondering who do you think will be the obvious choices for the upcoming World Cup in Aus, and who do you reckon has the goods to make it to the Senior side?
We've largely relied on proper gloveman when its come to keepers so agree that Quinton is unique and he has the x-factor when he bats of course ala Gilchrist (haha don;t want to put the mockers on him).

Our SA u19 side will be an interesting one. I believe our strength will be in the bowling.

Quinton De Kock and the spinner Prenelan Subrayen have been with the franchise squads for the T20 competition.

There is a whole host of the players currently playing in the amateur sides.Been aerticularly disappointed with Diego Rosier for Griquas and Chad Bowes, evnthough he did get his first fc hundred for Natal.

To join the two above (De Kock & Subrayen) I would say Shaylen Pillay, Calvin Savage, Solo Nqweni, Jan Frylinck, Corne Dry and Rabian Engelbrencht should make the WC squad. Pillay is a batting all-rounder. While the others main job is bowling but Savage and Frylinck are all-rounders.

So that is why I say, its mainly bowling strength for this side. De Kock will be key with the bat with Pillay playing a supporting role.

Otherwise we have 5 decent quick bowlers there plus a really good spinner.

Last edited: