Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: South Africa Domestic Season 2011/12

Tournaments Won: 1
    Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    Its tough to say, at this stage who will play for South Africa. Probably a bit easier to say who has a chance of playing franchise cricket and I think there will be quite a few.
    Niels Momberg, Ray Jennings and Anton Ferreira are excited by this crop of players.

The strongest teams on paper should be Cobras, Dolphins and Titans. I think there will be quite a few from their teams playing franchise cricket.

Knights have a very young squad with Cloete,Rosier and Dry the standouts. Lions key players will be DeKock and Pillay and Rhoda possibly. Warriors two opening bowlers Nortje and Nqweni are impressive.

But I don't think performances or lack of performances at this week will get or not get you into the SA u19 side as most of these guys go to SA u19 training camps throughout the whole year.
    That's my point - lets be honest here, de Kock will be getting into the SA u19 team regardless of whether he performs here or not. Guys like that are just stopping others from getting a fair go at the team imho.

I'm not saying its his fault at all, just that the system sucks.
    @CowsCorner - 202 followers and counting!

Disclaimer: I am a biased South African. Anything I say is likely to have something in it that ultimately favours the Proteas.

Quote Originally Posted by MrPrez View Post
    I wonder: would it not be worth the selectors writing down a few definites (guys like de Kock) before Cubs Week so that they don't play, and instead, more other players get a chance to try prove themselves?
    Regardless of the dubious precedent that would set; it would also decrease the standard of the competition and make taking wickets against against a de Cock-less Lions side (for example) less meaningful. I think it'd just make the whole thing even more pointless.
    ~ Cribbage

That's my point - lets be honest here, de Kock will be getting into the SA u19 team regardless of whether he performs here or not. Guys like that are just stopping others from getting a fair go at the team imho.

I'm not saying its his fault at all, just that the system sucks.
    I think its good for the general competition that he plays. All the bowlers vying for places in the SA u19 team will play against him and test themselves.^^^ Just saw thats what Prince EWS was saying as well.

He will be in the SA u19 team next week so you might as well get him playing cricket in preparation for the series. If he was starting for Lions franchise then I would re-consider but at the moment he isn't playing the 4-day side for some stupid reason.
    Last edited by SeamUp; 04-01-2012 at 02:34 AM.

De Lange included in Titans squad

Fresh off claiming eight wickets in his debut Test for the Proteas, fast bowler Marchant de Lange has been included in the Titans squad for their SuperSport Series match against the Warriors in Benoni on Thursday.

De Lange returned figures of 7 for 81 and one for 45 in the Boxing Day Test in Durban against Sri Lanka.

His dream debut fuelled speculation that he would be in the team for the final Test.

The selectors, however, had other ideas as they saw De Lange as a straight replacement for the injured Vernon Philander who recovered in time for the Newlands Test, and De Lange was released from the national squad.

De Lange will aim to keep the pressure on Proteas fast bowler Morné Morkel will need to perform to maintain his place ahead of the 21-year-old, with tours to New Zealand and England later in the year.

Titans squad: Martin van Jaarsveld (Captain), Farhaan Behardien, Tumelo Bodibe, Marchant de Lange, Henry Davids, CJ de Villiers, Faf du Plessis, Paul Harris, Heino Kuhn (wk), Ethy Mbhalati, Albie Morkel, Rowan Richards, Shaun von Berg, David Wiese. – Sapa

International Regular NasserFan207's Avatar
    Dane Villas just smashed a 180 vs the knights. Gotta wonder if this puts him next in line after Boucher?
    Batsman I tolerate: V. Richards, S. Tendulkar, E. Morgan, N. Hussain. KEVIN O F******* BRIEN

Quote Originally Posted by NasserFan207 View Post
    Dane Villas just smashed a 180 vs the knights. Gotta wonder if this puts him next in line after Boucher?
    Out of the domestic keepers like Heino Kuhn and Daryn Smit who have been the preferred choices for SA 'A' also Tsolekile...To me I like Dane Vilas...his attacking batting style with the ability to keep good balls out is suited to the number 7 role. His keeping isn't bad but isn't superb but if I had to pick a keeper tomorrow if Boucher got injured...I would go with Vilas...even if it seems more risky.

Vilas also took ten catches in this match and leads their domestic competition with 28 dismissals. He's only 26. Boucher now seems to drop at least one sitter a match in addition to his lack of runs. What are they waiting for?

Quote Originally Posted by Briony View Post
    Vilas also took ten catches in this match and leads their domestic competition with 28 dismissals. He's only 26. Boucher now seems to drop at least one sitter a match in addition to his lack of runs. What are they waiting for?
    In South Africa we tend to give more leeway and not just drop players after a mistake or two. The selectors and the players around him know Bouchers importance to the test team is vital and not may fans understand how he helps the bowlers and Graeme with planning.

I would like to see Boucher stick around for a bit longer myself. Especially a test tour to England and how it can be difficult for an inexperienced keeper to deal with that ball constantly swinging after going past the stumps.
    Last edited by SeamUp; 07-01-2012 at 07:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SeamUp View Post
    In South Africa we tend to give more leeway and not just drop players after a mistake or two. The selectors and the players around him know Bouchers importance to the test team is vital and not may fans understand how he helps the bowlers and Graeme with planning.

I would like to see Boucher stick around for a bit longer myself. Especially a test tour to England and how it can be difficult for an inexperienced keeper to deal with that ball constantly swinging after going past the stumps.
    Surely Smith's experienced enough (and Kallis stands next to him) not to need Boucher's input. England might be a tough place to keep but the way the ageing Boucher is fluffing them atm, and of course adds no value to a long tail with his continued batting failures, it's hard to see something like Vilas at least doing no worse and he's so much younger. If Boucher goes to England, SA can't win.

Quote Originally Posted by Briony View Post
    Surely Smith's experienced enough (and Kallis stands next to him) not to need Boucher's input. England might be a tough place to keep but the way the ageing Boucher is fluffing them atm, and of course adds no value to a long tail with his continued batting failures, it's hard to see something like Vilas at least doing no worse and he's so much younger. If Boucher goes to England, SA can't win.
    Boucher is very street smart and they rely a lot on him as an experienced keeper on input with the pitch and where some possible fielding positions could be so he throws ideas to Smith on the field. Kallis doesn't need to worry too much about that sort of stuff on the field. Boucher makes the team tick and adds a lot of value. It wouldn't surprise me if Mark Boucher plays a big role next year in England. Esepcially with his decent record against them and being with Smith at the crease at Edgbaston after all the controversy in that test match and the pressure we were under because of it.

If Gary and the team feel its the end for him then so be it but at the moment it seems they want him to carry on for now. I wouldn't mind a 2nd keeper like Vilas to go on the tours to New Zealand and England.

SOUTH AFRICA U19 SQUAD

QUINTON DE KOCK ©
    School: KES
    Sponsors: Gunn & Moore
    3 Coke weeks
    SA Colts 2009, SA Schools 2010, SA u19 tour to England
    An agressive left-handed batsman wicket-keeper who made his franchise debut for the Lions in the SuperSport series last season. He was a regular in the Lions one-day side this season and scored an impressive 83 against the Titans facing Morne Morkel. Particularly strong on the off-side and capable of playing over the top or through the in-field. SA Coke week batsman and player of tournament 2010.

CHAD BOWES
    School: Kearsney College
    3 Coke weeks
    Chad Bowes had an impressive schoolboy career an hence played three 3 Coke weeks but unfortunately never could do enough to earn places in the SA Schools or SA Colts teams. He is right-handed batsman who can open or bat in the top order and has worked closely with ex-Dolphins cricketer Doug Watson. A few years ago scored an impressive 80 in the Schools game against the Sahara legends team that included Ntini and Quinton Friend. What impressed me was his driving down the ground. Has already got his debut for KZN amateur team and was 12th man for the Dolphins in the SSS at the back end of last season.

GIHAHN CLOETE
    School: Noordkaap
    3 Coke weeks
    SA Colts 2009, SA u19 tour to England
    A very solid left-handed top-order batsman who either opens or comes in at 3. He has scored a FC hundred for Griquas amateur against Boland and I think he was the 3rd youngest South Africa to score a FC century. He has been contracted to the Knights and now plays for Free State amateur team. Likes to build an innings slowly.

MURRAY COETZEE
    School: Pretoria Boys
    Sponsors: DP
    1 Coke week
    SA Schools 2011
    A very elegant left-handed top-order batsman who will be the reserve keeper in the squad. Scored tons of hundreds for Pretoria Boys High School this year and carried this form into the Coke week where he was the batsman of the week for 2011. He also scored 59 in the SA schools game against Cobras. In the same gamea few years ago where Bowes scored that 80 against the Sahara legends he scored a 50.

THEUNIS DE BRUYN
    School: Menlopark
    Sponsors: Kookaburra
    1 Coke week
    He is a big striking right-handed middle order batsman. Northerns and WP are known to not give Coke week caps easily and Coetzee and Muller like De Bruyn suffered from only playing one Coke week. Theunis' name shot to fame when he slaughtered the bowling at 2009 SA u17 week where scored 3 centruries including a huge 230 against Free State. He is currently playing club cricket for Assupol Tuks.

LESIBA NGOEPE
    School: Hans Moore
    3 Coke weeks
    SA Schools 2011, SA u19 tour to England
    An agressive left-handed middle order batsman who bowls slow left-arm spin. Has debuted for the Easterns amateur team and plays for Duduza club. Recently scored an impressive 190 against Northerns u19 in a 3-day game.

SHAYLEN PILLAY
    School: KES
    Will be 3 Coke weeks
    SA Colts 2010, SA u19 tour to England
    The impressive all-round talents (RHB & right-arm bowler) of Pillay has been playing for KES first XI since he was in grade 8. He has also been playing Old Edwardians in club cricket where he has been scoring loads of runs. It lead to his amateur debut for Gauteng last season. He also bowls impressive little away swingers and South Africa haven't had many batsman who have bowled similar sorts for quite some time. He did have a disappointing Coke week this year with the bat bat that can happen to the best of talents.

DIEGO ROSIER
    School: Noordkaap
    Sponsors: BAS
    Will be 3 Coke weeks
    SA Colts 2010, SA Schools 2011, SA u19 tour to England
    An impressive right-handed middle order who bowls leg-spin and has a googly up his sleeve. Has already played for Griquas amateur team. He is the current SA Schools pro 20player of year and won the SA Schools player and all-rounder of the week at the Coke week for 2011. Scored 71* in the SA Schools game against Cobras.

PRENELAN SUBRAYEN
    School: Glenwood
    2 Coke weeks
    SA Schools captain 2011, SA u19 tour to England
    An aggressive lower order RHB who bowls tidy off-spin. He was extremely impressive on the u19 tour to England where they could hardly get him off the square. Has played for Natal amateur team already.

CALVIN SAVAGE
    School: Maritzburg College
    Sponsors: Gray-Nicolls
    3 Coke weeks
    SA Schools 2009 and 2011, SA u19 tour to England
    Impressively made the SA schools team as a 16 year old but then suffered a stress fracture in the back at a young age. Still don't believe he has returned to his full pace as he was before but has huge discilpine with his lines and lengths and is capable of moving the ball both ways from almost two meters. In the time he was recovering from injury he played as a pur batsman in the 2010 Coke week. He also was SA schools T20 player of the year 2 years ago. Has played for Natal Inland amteur team and has trained with the Dolphins already.

JAN FRYLINCK
    School: Boland Landbou
    Will be 2 Coke weeks
    SA Schools 2011
    A left-handed batsman and left-arm quick bowler who has already played for Boland amateur team. In the u19 3-day series has picked up four 5-fors where he picked up 7 wickets in an innings twice.

CORNE DRY
    School: Grey College
    3 Coke weeks
    SA Colts 2010, SA Schools 2011, SA u19 tour to England
    Right-arm opening fast bowler who took the new ball for SA schools in 2011. Tall boy who like Savage almost reaches 2m tall. Is the brother of SA sevens rugby player, Chris Dry.

RABIAN ENGELBRECHT
    School: New Orleans
    4 Coke weeks
    SA Colts 2008, SA Colts 2009, 2010 u19 WC to New Zeland and SA U19 tour to England
    A right-arm strike bolwer with impressive pace. He comes from a wide angle at the crease. Has a tendency to be a bit inconsistent but still learning and has played for Boland amateur team.

TRAVIS MULLER
    School: Wynberg Boys
    1 Coke week
    Was the Wynberg sporstman of the year for 2011 as he is a good hockey player and captained their first XI. Bowls impressive away swing at a decent pace. Had a good Coke week but somehow missed out on both SA schools or Colts team. Also known to be able to strike the ball at the back end of an innings.

LIZAAD WILLIAMS
    School: Hugenote
    3 Coke weeks
    SA Colts 2009, SA Schools 2011, SA u19 tour to England
    A short and skidy quick bowler who has played for the Boland amateur team and was the Boland captain for 2011 Coke week but got injured before the first game.

Tournaments Won: 1
    Thanks SeamUp, awesome stuff

Going to Buffalo Park to watch the ODI tomorrow, extremely keen!

Virus seems to be making his detractors eat humble pie. Jon jon Smuts is also playing quite good. The batting cupboard is well stocked. But explain to me what is going on with the dolphins? They are terrible.

Quote Originally Posted by Rasimione View Post
    Virus seems to be making his detractors eat humble pie. Jon jon Smuts is also playing quite good. The batting cupboard is well stocked. But explain to me what is going on with the dolphins? They are terrible.
    Dolphins haven't been producing cricketers like they used to and even crowds are poor but that has been happening for a while.

It seems surfing and rugby is dominant there now.

But at least they have Ford as coach who is a very good domestic coach imo. It will take some time for them to get on par with a lot of the teams but they did start a big drive with highlighting performances of schoolboys and so on. Could see a few youngster like Bowes, Muthusamy, Subrayen, Savage and Kirsten get games for Dolphins in the next two years.

Thanks SeamUp, awesome stuff

Going to Buffalo Park to watch the ODI tomorrow, extremely keen!
    Typical East London pitch.

Page 11 of 16 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread Information