• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Dale Steyn become the fastest bowler to 300 Test wickets?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Laxman doesn't really get God-like status. Hell until recently he would save our arse, be praised, and then be at risk of being dropped a few series later.

Even Dravid cops **** from Indian fans.

Kapil is held in higher regard by your average Indian fan than Dravid (for those that have seen both), and he was an allrounder.

I agree that Dhoni and Sehwag are sort of God-like in their status, but with Dhoni it goes beyond his batting and into his looks, youth etc.

Steyn would be held in a similar esteem to Kapil.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
I dont know, Kapil and Zaheer are much better than people give them credit for. I'd agree that Steyn is better than them but not exactly by a country mile, yet Zaheer in particular is hardly spoken about in the same breath as Tendulkar, Sehwag, VVS, Dravid and even MS Dhoni up until the last series in England. I suppose I'm generalizing.
Zaheer will never be spoken of in the same breath as the rest. He can't expect to strut around with naught but 4 decent seasons in the bank. He doesn't have the longevity of the batsmen, or the unparalleled success that Dhoni's enjoyed as captain.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
steyn >> Zaheer

what are you saying?

zaheer is much slower, swings less, is never 100% fit.
Nothing wrong with your other points, but the part I have bolded isn't something I can agree with. Zaheer swings the new ball both ways (Steyn doesn't have a natural new ball inswinger) and he reverse swings it more than Steyn.

That and Zaheer's use of the crease angles (being a left-hander adds a dimension) are perhaps the only aspects where he stands above Steyn as a pace bowler. All things considered, Steyn is a few leagues ahead but the difference between the two is not as enormous as some people on these forums (not aimed at you) seem to think.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
Laxman doesn't really get God-like status. Hell until recently he would save our arse, be praised, and then be at risk of being dropped a few series later.

Even Dravid cops **** from Indian fans.

Kapil is held in higher regard by your average Indian fan than Dravid (for those that have seen both), and he was an allrounder.

I agree that Dhoni and Sehwag are sort of God-like in their status, but with Dhoni it goes beyond his batting and into his looks, youth etc.

Steyn would be held in a similar esteem to Kapil.
If Kapil were to play in the Dravid/Tendulkar Era, do you think he would he would get any less love from fans ?

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
I don't think so. In fact, he'd arguably get more as he could very well have been captain, and with the increased media coverage, advertisements and sponsorships, he'd be right up there.

All speculation though. But being an allrounder is a huge benefit. Especially one who could hit sixes! :p

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
He could still teach a thing or two about fitness to our current generation players.

Xuhaib

International Coach
yeah strange to hear Kapil is not revered in India like their great batsman thought he was the poster boy in the 80's along with Sunil.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
yeah strange to hear Kapil is not revered in India like their great batsman thought he was the poster boy in the 80's along with Sunil.
As far as I know, Kapil was more popular in India than Sunil after the 1983 World Cup win.

There were many who didn't like Sunil for his slow batting in ODIs...The name Gadha-vaskar was popular in Kolkata after Sunil's famous 36* ('Gadha' means donkey in Bengali)...

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Where do you get this from and how do you know how people rate Steyn in England, seems a bit of a crazy generalization you've made there.
I personally believe that any fan and follower of test cricket in England knows how good Steyn is, the only people who may not are those who are more casual watches of the game but you could say that about any player if they're not your own.
The Cricketer magazine in England claimed, in this months issue, that James Anderson is the best test bowler in the world. Don't know what right they have to say that. If he was top of the rankings then fine, if they said it was in their opinion it would be fine but they stated is a fact when it isn't. They went on about how Anderson averages 23 since the beginning of 2010, well I have news for them Steyn averages better than that since the start of the 2010. The English public and media need to realise that just because they haven't seen somebody bowl as much it doesn't mean they are not as good.
Here's more proof Jacknife!!

Jacknife

International Captain
Here's more proof Jacknife!!
Here's more proof???Where is this proof you speak of, just because someone on this forum has said that a magazine article someone wrote, rated Anderson better the last 18 months, nothing wrong with that, Anderson's played nearly double the amount of tests and has averaged 23 to Steyn's 21.

The fact is, you made some huge sweeping statement about every cricket England supporter not rating Steyn has highly as they should, don't see what this has got to do with what you put.

As for the Article itself, I think I'll read the article before making judgement , you might want to do the same.

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
Here's more proof???Where is this proof you speak of, just because someone on this forum has said that a magazine article someone wrote, rated Anderson better the last 18 months, nothing wrong with that, Anderson's played nearly double the amount of tests and has averaged 23 to Steyn's 21.

The fact is, you made some huge sweeping statement about every cricket England supporter not rating Steyn has highly as they should, don't see what this has got to do with what you put.

As for the Article itself, I think I'll read the article before making judgement , you might want to do the same.

yeah right.

in england most people rate him nothing near an ATG atm. they see him as just a fine bowler... like anderson, zaheer...

(probably because he hasn't done all that well against england so they haven't really seen what he's capable of)

Jacknife

International Captain
yeah right.
WTF? I was referring to the post by Cabinet96 that you quoted as proof to back you up, and I'll say it again ' don't see what this has got to do with what you put' in other words, how has his post about an article in The Cricketer backed your original post up?

Still don't get the post, what's 'yeah right' supposed to mean, what are you meant to be yeah righting me about.

Last edited:

Jacknife

International Captain
Completely agree with you , you are :wacko:
You might want to go back and read the conversation again but then again you know what every England cricket fan thinks about Steyn because you've been reading the newspaper comments sections, so you're probably right.:dry:

Last edited:

centurymaker

Cricketer Of The Year
I can only agree with those posters above me lauding the all-time great Curtly (even if I do think that an early Waqar and and Wasim shaded him for pure skill and ability to manipulate the ball) but Dale Steyn is getting an exceptionally raw deal on here. I wonder if it's because his record versus England is relatively mediocre.

The guy's record bears comparison with the greats of the game and looking purely at strike rate, he beats them all. He takes 5 wickets a match and his record away from home is better than at home. He's reserved his best performances for the best batting line-up he's faced (India) and in accumulating his best figures at Nagpur in 2010, on a typical Indian road (SA scored 500 odd first dig) he bowled like a white, right arm Wasim getting batters out with 90mph outswing and reverse swing.

If you then factor into account batting average inflation in the last 10 years, which is a fact (it's merely the cause that is in doubt--is it benign pitches, better batsman, worse bowlers or a combination?) his record looks all the more phenomenal.

The only mark against him is he hasn't done it over as long a period of time as the accepted greats. I wouldn't bet against him ticking that box before his career is done either.

This is not that old a comment. It was posted on the 14th september.
would be incredibly hard to dig up comments from during the series.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
What is this proving? Jacknife's point is that you cannot go generalising English people like that - a few comments here or there (with no source, in the last case) doesn't suggest that English people don't rate him that highly. You have no way of knowing that unless you're around English circles. English posters on here certainly rate him highly.

Jacknife

International Captain
What is this proving? Jacknife's point is that you cannot go generalising English people like that - a few comments here or there (with no source, in the last case) doesn't suggest that English people don't rate him that highly. You have no way of knowing that unless you're around English circles. English posters on here certainly rate him highly.
I give up mate, I've pointed this out and I'm not sure what he's trying to achieve. You may get the odd Steyn detractor here and there but they are literally few and far between and especially by true fans of the game know how very good Steyn is.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
it upsets me when people mention steyn in the same category as players like anderson and zaheer :(

he is definitely a shining light in the era of batsmen, a machine.