• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Dale Steyn become the fastest bowler to 300 Test wickets?

Arachnodouche

International Captain
Dale Steyn's been the best thing on the fast bowling market since Shane Bond. In terms of fast bowling mojo..obv better longevity too.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Kallis is still really utter with the likes of Tendulkar and Ponting for player of the modern era. Despite being just as good a batsmen and a very good bowler.

Jacknife

International Captain
or even if he was an english, his reputation would be at least twice as much as now.

there would be A LOT more comparisons going on between him and the other greats

in england most people rate him nothing near an ATG atm. they see him as just a fine bowler... like anderson, zaheer...

(probably because he hasn't done all that well against england so they haven't really seen what he's capable of)
Where do you get this from and how do you know how people rate Steyn in England, seems a bit of a crazy generalization you've made there.
I personally believe that any fan and follower of test cricket in England knows how good Steyn is, the only people who may not are those who are more casual watches of the game but you could say that about any player if they're not your own.

centurymaker

International Captain
Where do you get this from and how do you know how people rate Steyn in England, seems a bit of a crazy generalization you've made there.
I personally believe that any fan and follower of test cricket in England knows how good Steyn is, the only people who may not are those who are more casual watches of the game but you could say that about any player if they're not your own.

i'm saying this judging by comments on telegraph & guardian.

hang on

State Vice-Captain
It's not so much the raw figures that do it for me so much as being miles ahead of the competition for a good few years. Who was the last quick bowler to really do that, besides McGrath? Pretty rare deal.
pollock was at the top of the curve, with murali, for yonks in the early noughties, if memory serves.

Top_Cat

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Be interesting to see how he comes back from his first big injury and how he adjusts his bowling. Big test for any quick.

Whilst he's bowling fast it's not really much of an issue but he doesn't really have an awesome in-ducker so you'd imagine he'd start to develop in that direction coming back from a big injury. Related, I think he's looked at as a bit of a one-trick pony (albeit, what a trick that is) with his spitting away swing and not much else. What really tightened up after his first couple of years was his accuracy so he'd probably need to be a bit more versatile before he's put into the same company as your Lillee/McG/Marshall/etc.

Xuhaib

International Coach
I think it is true that South African cricketers receive less fanfare and attention worldwide. I think it is true that if Steyn was Indian, Australian or English he'd be spoken of even higher than he already is.

I reckon the same is with de Villiers in a way.
you know that can never happen:p

centurymaker

International Captain

I read comments during the entire england v india series.
While they seemed to know alot about their team (england)...most of them didn't regard steyn as a stand-out bowler. **** i'm not ****-****ing. I can tell you the comments there were of MUCH higher quality than you see on cricinfo.
(100+ comments per day)

Mcgrath was a no trick pony and look at his figures!!! I feel the most important skill is accuracy, which is something steyn has improved on quite a lot in tests.

yeah he's coming back from an injury so will be interesting to see whether he's able to bowl as well as before his injury.

Last edited:

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Somehow I doubt that. The few good fast bowlers they've had have always been ranked behind their batsmen.
Steyn's better than any out and out fast bowler we've ever had though.

Unchartered territory. You can't say for sure.

Himannv

International Coach
Steyn's better than any out and out fast bowler we've ever had though.

Unchartered territory. You can't say for sure.
I dont know, Kapil and Zaheer are much better than people give them credit for. I'd agree that Steyn is better than them but not exactly by a country mile, yet Zaheer in particular is hardly spoken about in the same breath as Tendulkar, Sehwag, VVS, Dravid and even MS Dhoni up until the last series in England. I suppose I'm generalizing.