• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Can Dale Steyn become the fastest bowler to 300 Test wickets?

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Also, in an eleven year period from start of 98 to end of 08, Murali in 90 Tests took 631 wickets @ 19.94 at 7 wpm. Beat that! In that period he was performing at McGrath/Ambrose level despite being a spinner and being a lone warrior. Whichever way you look at it, how much ever you discount for record in SL and against B/Z, it's still beyond insane. He is one of those guys whose achievements get taken for granted, he's just expected to be taking 6-7 wickets a match.

Last edited:

Ikki

Hall of Fame Member
Well when you discount B/Z he is made to look like other ATGs, but one who happened to bowl a ****load of overs and took lots of wickets. People overlook him because he tended to take a lot of wickets when the match was not so much in the balance; after the batsmen had already had their effect on the game. Otherwise, someone who took almost 7 wickets a game and who would strike early would not be overlooked by any account. The comparison with the Tendulkar double tonne doesn't make sense.

Back to the thread: one has to ask when people are going to seriously talk about Steyn as the greatest pacer, if not bowler, of all time. He's already played 46 Tests. His average and SR for even this era is already incredible.

Sanz

Hall of Fame Member
That was an exaggeration obviously. But you do see that argument used loads of times, unless you're in the company of learned fans.
There is no argument. It was settled way back, ages ago. Those who still want to call him a chucker, would have found another excuse to discredit Murali's achievements and in fact many of them still do .

centurymaker

International Captain
Back to the thread: one has to ask when people are going to seriously talk about Steyn as the greatest pacer, if not bowler, of all time. He's already played 46 Tests. His average and SR for even this era is already incredible.
lets pray that he stays away from serious injuries.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
For any era it's incredible. I guess people don't like seeing an average of over 23, but given the gigantic increase in averages in Steyn's era and his incredible strike rate it's hard to ignore him. In my mind he's already overtaken Donald as the best South African quick of all time. It's not like Steyn is a green track bully either, he's run through India in India on dead pitches. The only thing I don't like about him is that he's not an Australian.

stephen

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Another thing that's interesting about Steyn - he has tied with Ntini for the equal most ten wicket hauls for South Africa and only has two less five wicket hauls than him despite Ntini having played over twice the number of tests.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
The fact that he has a lot more to offer means that a lot of people still reserve their judgment.Yes, I hear what you're saying. 46 tests is a decent sample and some of the great pace bowlers of the past (Hall and Roberts, notably) have played about the same amount. But the fact that Steyn's career is still not finished means that subconsciously most cricket lovers view him as a work in progress.

He's a great bowler for mine and by the time he hangs up his boots, hopefully the legacy he leaves behind will be monumental.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
If he stays injury free there's no reason he can't get over 500 test wickets. I reckon he could still be useful when he loses a bit of pace by being an accurate swing bowler. He's pretty crafty as well.