• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Batsmen 1970's and 1980's era only?

Who are the best batsmen for each team if you only look at the 1970's and 80's era?

Some of my picks

England

David Gower
Geoffrey boycott
Ian Botham
??
??

Pakistan:

Javed Miandad
Zaheer Abbas
Majid Khan
??
??

In 1980's most batsmen didn't really average that high, so its really hard to pick

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
From the 70's (best 4)

Sunil Gavaskar
Geoff Boycott
Greg Chappell
Zaheer Abbas

From the 80's (best 4)

Vivian Richards
Javed Miandad
Graham Gooch
Martin Crowe

L Trumper

State Regular
Viv's best years were in 70s tbh. He was the best in both decades, Definitely from 76 to 85 he was the best, and don't think its that close a contest either.

bagapath

International Captain
top 10 batters of the 70s and 80s

viv richards
sunil gavaskar
greg chappell
allan border
javed miandad
gordon greenidge
clive lloyd
geoff boycott
martin crowe
david gower

next 10

zaheer abbas
doug walters
dennis amiss
gundappa viswanath
richie richardosn
roy fredericks
dilip vengsarkar
larry gomes
aravinda de silva
ian redpath

Hurricane

Hall of Fame Member

viv richards
sunil gavaskar
greg chappell
allan border
javed miandad
gordon greenidge
clive lloyd
geoff boycott
martin crowe
david gower

next 10

zaheer abbas
doug walters
dennis amiss
gundappa viswanath
richie richardosn
roy fredericks
dilip vengsarkar
larry gomes
aravinda de silva
ian redpath
Haynes must have been close to one of these lists.

Anyways wanted to talk about Larry Gomes. We negotiated for him to come and play for our club team. One of the younger players said "who is Larry Gomes" - A west Indian opening bowler on our team looked flummoxed and said "He's Larry Gomes that's who he is."

Larry scored 22 of the best looking runs I have ever seen before being dismissed. What I remember most from the inning is his bottom hand - it had a life of its own - it would guide the ball every time into the gap between cover and point. or cover and mid off. Sadly he broke his finger in the 2nd game and that was the last time he was to bat for us.

bagapath

International Captain
Haynes must have been close to one of these lists.

Anyways wanted to talk about Larry Gomes. We negotiated for him to come and play for our club team. One of the younger players said "who is Larry Gomes" - A west Indian opening bowler on our team looked flummoxed and said "He's Larry Gomes that's who he is."

Larry scored 22 of the best looking runs I have ever seen before being dismissed. What I remember most from the inning is his bottom hand - it had a life of its own - it would guide the ball every time into the gap between cover and point. or cover and mid off. Sadly he broke his finger in the 2nd game and that was the last time he was to bat for us.
cool story mate. dont rate haynes that highly. would put him on par with boon and amarnath. good players but probably not in the top 20 of that era.

Good lists bagapath, though you've all forgotten the best of the lot, Barry Richards

i stuck to test careers. if you included FC then barry would be competing with viv for the top spot.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member

viv richards
sunil gavaskar
greg chappell
allan border
javed miandad
gordon greenidge
clive lloyd
geoff boycott
martin crowe
david gower

next 10

zaheer abbas
doug walters
dennis amiss
gundappa viswanath
richie richardosn
roy fredericks
dilip vengsarkar
larry gomes
aravinda de silva
ian redpath
I don't have much problem with your top 10. It's the next 10 that raises some questions.

Aravinda DeSilva for example, didn't do much in the 80s (in fact, it can be said that his performances pre-1997 were not world-class in entirety). Mohinder Amarnath, on the other hand, IIRC, averaged over 50 in West Indies, Australia and Pakistan of the 70s and 80s - no mean feat.

Desmond Haynes and Ian Chappell should have been there too.

Last edited:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
My top batsmen from the 70s and the 80s:
1. Viv Richards
2. Sunil Gavaskar
3. Barry Richards
4. Graeme Pollock
5. Greg Chappell
6. Javed Miandad
7. Allan Border
8. Geoff Boycott
9. Clive Lloyd
10. Gordon Greenidge
11. Martin Crowe
12. Zaheer Abbas
13. Ian Chappell
14. David Gower
15. Gundappa Vishwanath
16. Dennis Amiss
17. Glenn Turner
18. Desmond Haynes
19. Mohinder Amarnath
20. Doug Walters

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Unless you add the word "International" to the OP there doesn't seem to me to be anything to debate