• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Batsmen 1970's and 1980's era only?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Fmd how can anyone rate gavaskar or Barry Richards over Greg Chappell.

I'm embarrassed for you.

bagapath

International Captain
Fmd how can anyone rate gavaskar or Barry Richards over Greg Chappell.

I'm embarrassed for you.
when greg chappell retired in early 1984, this is how his records stacked up against sunny's.

SM Gavaskar (India) 99 174 14 8394 236* 52.46 30 36 10
GS Chappell (Aus) 87 151 19 7110 247* 53.86 24 31 12

what is so embarrassing about ranking either one over the other?

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
when greg chappell retired in early 1984, this is how his records stacked up against sunny's.

SM Gavaskar (India) 99 174 14 8394 236* 52.46 30 36 10
GS Chappell (Aus) 87 151 19 7110 247* 53.86 24 31 12

what is so embarrassing about ranking either one over the other?
Did you, you know, like watch them play?

kyear2

Cricketer Of The Year
Viv Richards
Sunil Gavaskar
Graeme Pollock
Greg Chappell
Barry Richards
Alanm Border
Javed Miandad
Clive Loyd
Geoffrey Boycott
Gordon Greenidge

Thats my top ten, obviously I think Barry should count as OP didn't specify Test batsmen.
Easy to see why I rate this era the golden age of cricket, especially when the 90's are included. Amazing ability in that lot and the bowling list is even better.

Last edited:

bagapath

International Captain
Did you, you know, like watch them play?
yeah. both were awesome. i can toss a coin and choose either the master technician or mr. elegance. they were joint second among the batsmen of their times; only a tiny whisker behind viv.

methew123

Banned
sunil gavaskar
greg chappell
allan border
Javid maindad
modessor nazar

these player is good in 70 to 80 make many record in cricket games.

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
isn't international the default setting for discussing cricket at CW just like discussing a player test matches is the default mode?
Not really. It's a different matter that most here (like me) places a lot of emphasis on test cricket. But for me, when I rate certain batsmen and bowlers (not all, for various reasons) FC records and ODI records play a part.

On test performances alone, I shall keep Sunil Gavaskar ever-so-slightly ahead of Viv Richards ( if I give 80 points to Gavaskar, Richards will get 79.5 or something). When it's very very close on test performances alone, and there's a gulf in ODI performances of the 2 players then I consider ODIs as well.