• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Butt/Amir/Asif - Spot Fixing Trial

angad

U19 12th Man
Pakistan’s Mohammad Amir pleads guilty in spot-fixing case

KARACHI: Pakistan’s fast-bowler Mohammad Amir has pleaded guilty to spot-fixing in a London court.

During Pakistan’s tour of England in 2010, British tabloid “News of the World” accused then-captain Salman Butt, fast-bowler Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir of spot-fixing.

News of the World alleged they bowled no-balls at prearranged times during August’s fourth Test at Lord’s.

The International Cricket Council (ICC) had previously banned Amir from all forms of cricket for a period of five years while Asif was banned for seven years and Butt was handed a ten year ban.

More to follow.

Source - Mohammad Aamer pleads guilty in spot-fixing case | Sport | DAWN.COM

Good, I hope ICC reduce his International ban to 2yrs and allow him to play in domestic tournaments.

Spikey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Good, I hope ICC reduce his International ban to 2yrs and allow him to play in domestic tournaments.

......uh

"Mohammad Amir has pleaded guilty to spot-fixing in a London Court"

All that does is make his weak punishment seem even weaker, to me anyway.

Scaly piscine

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
Pakistan’s Mohammad Amir pleads guilty in spot-fixing case

KARACHI: Pakistan’s fast-bowler Mohammad Amir has pleaded guilty to spot-fixing in a London court.

During Pakistan’s tour of England in 2010, British tabloid “News of the World” accused then-captain Salman Butt, fast-bowler Mohammad Asif and Mohammad Amir of spot-fixing.

News of the World alleged they bowled no-balls at prearranged times during August’s fourth Test at Lord’s.

The International Cricket Council (ICC) had previously banned Amir from all forms of cricket for a period of five years while Asif was banned for seven years and Butt was handed a ten year ban.

More to follow.

Source - Mohammad Aamer pleads guilty in spot-fixing case | Sport | DAWN.COM

Nope they were all handed a pathetic minimum 5 year ban when most cricketers wanted them banned for life. Two of them got an utterly meaningless suspended ban on top. It's nice if one of them has finally admitted guilt, but they didn't do that at the ICC trial, nor did they help with that investigation so again they should have been banned for life - the minimum penalty certainly does not apply to the three of them. Not only that but Aamer got let off a short while ago for playing in England.

Neil Pickup

Cricket Web Moderator
So we can add "self-confessed liar" to his train wreck of a personality.

Should never be playing again - I can't even bring myself to address those who think the ban should be reduced.

jan

State Vice-Captain
Not jumping on a bandwagone here but since the Amir-Asif-Butt case actually brought me to cricket I cant stop wondering how those ****s are being exculpated bit by bit as time goes :(

Bun

Banned
He's repentant. He's a potful of genius. Genius that is human and flawed. But must be given a second chance. Imagine what would've happened if we lost Shane Warne for 5 years in 2003? No Ashes 2005. no 700 wickets. No glory. Yes, he was stupid. He cheated his own wife (a worse crime imho) in personal life. Yet cricket chose to reward his genius on field. Asif, Amir all belong in the same category.

I want them to come back, They deserve a second chance.

smash84

The Tiger King
He's repentant. He's a potful of genius. Genius that is human and flawed. But must be given a second chance. Imagine what would've happened if we lost Shane Warne for 5 years in 2003? No Ashes 2005. no 700 wickets. No glory. Yes, he was stupid. He cheated his own wife (a worse crime imho) in personal life. Yet cricket chose to reward his genius on field. Asif, Amir all belong in the same category.

That is the best defence of that trio that I have ever seen.

But I still think that an example needs to be made out of somebody and better to do it now then let the cancer spread further.

Last edited:

BoyBrumby

Englishman

Ha, tres bollo. Whilst one might sympathise with Mrs Warne, there's no suggestion Shane accepted money to underperform his husbandly duties, tens of thousands of spectators hadn't paid good money to watch them in the throes of connubial ecstacy and there wasn't a TV audience of millions hanging on the outcome.

Aamer's mea culpa about a year too late. Not only was he bent, he then repeatedly lied about it.

Bun

Banned
That is the best defence of that trio that I have ever seen.

But I still think that an example needs to be made out of somebody and better to do it now then let the cancer spread further.
The cancer is spreading because lack of scruples, lack of leadership, lack of mentoring.

People simply don't know what's acceptable, not acceptable, and what's wrong and right.

Look at Amir. Kid, incredibly talented, but as ignorant as a newborn. Can't blame him. His education, upbringing is parsecs away from the "western" world which indicted him. He lives in a world where people have to fight to win a day's bread, heck to live to see the stars and the sun next morning. People completely forget how laws, rules, regulations etc are ultimately products of the society in whcih they live in. And hence relative too.

See, I am not condoning what these chaps did. Idiotic, no doubt. But they simply didn't know better. Atleast am sure Amir did'nt. Darn, at his age, I didn't know one needed to insert and ejaculate manship in womanship to create childship!

It's his only way of earning his daily bread. perhaps the only thing he's good at in his life. He was led astray. He needs to be corrected, not lynched.

Furball

Evil Scotsman
The cancer is spreading because lack of scruples, lack of leadership, lack of mentoring.

People simply don't know what's acceptable, not acceptable, and what's wrong and right.

Look at Amir. Kid, incredibly talented, but as ignorant as a newborn. Can't blame him. His education, upbringing is parsecs away from the "western" world which indicted him. He lives in a world where people have to fight to win a day's bread, heck to live to see the stars and the sun next morning. People completely forget how laws, rules, regulations etc are ultimately products of the society in whcih they live in. And hence relative too.

See, I am not condoning what these chaps did
. Idiotic, no doubt. But they simply didn't know better. Atleast am sure Amir did'nt. Darn, at his age, I didn't know one needed to insert and ejaculate manship in womanship to create childship!

It's his only way of earning his daily bread. perhaps the only thing he's good at in his life. He was led astray. He needs to be corrected, not lynched.
This completely contradicts the rest of your post.