• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Butt/Amir/Asif - Spot Fixing Trial

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
I doubt this is over to be honest - I'm sure Amir will have a tilt at an appeal against sentence, and might well have a decent case for that. Otherwise Butt and Asif must, if their lawyers have done their jobs properly, have some arguable grounds of appeal against conviction

Majeed I suspect is ****ed

... and don't lose sight of the fact they'll only do half the time before being released on licence

Xuhaib

International Coach
Good that they got jail. Think they got off lightly though.
don't think so, their cricket career is finished all the money has been spent unsuccessfully fighting the case and they are the first cricketers to be jailed for cricket related reasons and not to forget the shame they brought upon themselves and their family If this is light then I don't know what harsh is.

Last edited:

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Harsh stuff. :(

What happens if they can't pay their fines (will their sentence increase)? It's incredible to know that Amir got involved for only £2,500 and now has to pay £9,000 and that Butt got paid £10,000 and has to pay back £30,000.

Butt's sister is on the news in Pakistan, her fiancé has dumped her in light of the verdict. :(

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
If these guys deserve harsher punishments then what do criminals and thugs deserve? Because I know they get off with lesser punishments.

Some people being ruled by personal inclinations.

Xuhaib

International Coach
Harsh stuff. :(

What happens if they can't pay their fines (will their sentence increase)? It's incredible to know that Amir got involved for only £2,500 and now has to pay £9,000 and that Butt got paid £10,000 and has to pay back £30,000.

Butt's sister is on the news in Pakistan, her fiancé has dumped her in light of the verdict. :(
:laugh:what a typical Pakistani behavior.

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
What's the reputation of the prison that they have been sent to? Is it likely that they can be beaten or worse stabbed in there. Would be an interesting state of affairs if say Butt gets stabbed in prison.

fredfertang

What's the reputation of the prison that they have been sent to? Is it likely that they can be beaten or worse stabbed in there. Would be an interesting state of affairs if say Butt gets stabbed in prison.
Can't imagine they will have any problems inside - will probably command a good deal of respect from their fellow inmates itbt

Scaly piscine

Would think the main danger is what may happen to their families back home.

iamdavid

International Debutant
Good outcome imo.

Looks a bit harsh at first glance, but it sends a clear message to others who might be susceptible to corruption about just how high the stakes are.

I fear this is only going to be the tip of the iceberg though...Pakistan have been involved in some pretty dubious results over the past few years which are yet to be fully examined

Agent Nationaux

International Coach
Why would their families be in danger?

I hope they don't seek asylum, because it will look really bad and be more of a humiliation for them and Pak. I know Butt won't because he is quite well off. If I was in their shoes I would never want to go back to England after a sentence in prison.

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Why would their families be in danger?

I hope they don't seek asylum, because it will look really bad and be more of a humiliation for them and Pak. I know Butt won't because he is quite well off. If I was in their shoes I would never want to go back to England after a sentence in prison.
To make sure that they stay quiet and give no names of others involved. Make a threat to their families while they are inside and they will surely say nothing more etc...

Don't agree with it but it could easily happen.

uvelocity

International Coach
Spot fixing at cricket. I'm sure there are victims of real crime who'd feel pretty hollow seeing these kids go to jail, if UK is anything like Australia theres some pretty sideways stuff that ruins lives and goes unpunished. Cricket betting scandals pretty low on the list for mine. Before you go crazy, I'm all for it - just seems out of wack (though not up to date on UK justice system ftr)