• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Butt/Amir/Asif - Spot Fixing Trial

theegyptian

International Vice-Captain
Tbh, you missed the bus on this by 20 years :) It's much cleaner now (perhaps not in the IPL, but in internationals definitely).
Yes I mean there had always been that hanging over the heads of different teams but nothing as blatant as this and whilst Amir, Butt and Asif were perpetrators on this occasion plenty of others were implicated by the recordings. Just another reason to love Afridi for refusing to do business.

Last edited:

Furball

Evil Scotsman
So you, and probably the majority of people your age, are not naive and impressionable. You also know right from wrong and will not cheat or do something illegal (at least on the scale of Amir's). That's good. However, do you not know anyone your age that may not be made of the same cloth? I certainly do. What should we do when they mess up? Have a zero tolerance, "they don't deserve a second chance" philosophy even after they've served their punishment? If that's how you feel about it, fair enough. As I said, I find that to be an incredibly harsh policy to impose on someone so young. If we take that view with every young person that makes the wrong choices, we would give up on a lot of people that otherwise may have been able to turn their life around.
I'm fine with zero tolerance when it comes to things like match fixing. And I don't buy the 'young and impressionable' bleeding heart bull**** either. He played age group cricket for Pakistan and will have received anti-corruption education from the ICC.

r3alist

U19 Cricketer
Did he actually receive anti corruption education?

Are you seriously so extreme in all your views, or do you only get puritanical with a sport?

morgieb

Request Your Custom Title Now!
For those advocating a zero tolerance approach how would have you sentenced Waugh and Warne?

Give two answers if the time frame (i.e then and now) makes a difference.
They didn't actually fix matches/elements of matches now though?

Valer

First Class Debutant
They didn't actually fix matches/elements of matches now though?
No they did not. They'd still be giving a betting advantage to whomever ended up with the information and going against the anti-corruption rules.

A nature of the breach type of excuse doesn't seem to fly for the Pakistani trio however.

And the "it was only one no-ball" excuse is sickening, because from what we know, that one no-ball was actually a signal to Mazhar Majeed that he was ready to do this stuff again, and possibly move on to even more sinister things. Anyone who says it was a one-off is kidding themselves. A life ban for all 3 of them would've sent an incredibly strong message to every single cricketer on the planet. The ICC had the chance to stamp it out of the game for a long time by being firm, but they dropped the ball.

fredfertang

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
And the "it was only one no-ball" excuse is sickening, because from what we know, that one no-ball was actually a signal to Mazhar Majeed that he was ready to do this stuff again, and possibly move on to even more sinister things. Anyone who says it was a one-off is kidding themselves. A life ban for all 3 of them would've sent an incredibly strong message to every single cricketer on the planet. The ICC had the chance to stamp it out of the game for a long time by being firm, but they dropped the ball.
You can only punish people for what they actually do, not what they might do, unless of course you'd like to live in a society that stones suspected witches to death (although in the case of my ex-wife I can see some merit in that)

OverratedSanity

You can only punish people for what they actually do, not what they might do, unless of course you'd like to live in a society that stones suspected witches to death (although in the case of my ex-wife I can see some merit in that)
Yeah I get that. My point was more against people saying Amir's fix was a one off, because he was just a kid lured into it. It was a one off only because he got caught

Basically the difference between a crime of passion and a crook who was caught after his first crime before his planned spree could go on.

morgieb

Worth noting with Amir was that the judge in his sentencing apparently implied it wasn't his first involvement in fixing.

Also what I found interesting was that the PCB aren't appealing for Butt and Asif to return early to domestic cricket.

Daemon

The PCB have mentioned that they aren't appealing for those two because of the lack of a full confession and a lesser extent of co-operation shown as compared to Amir.

I feel sympathetic towards Amir due to the peer pressure, age and stupidity factors. I don't think he deserves a life ban, but I do think cricket needed it.

morgieb

The PCB have mentioned that they aren't appealing for those two because of the lack of a full confession and a lesser extent of co-operation shown as compared to Amir.

I feel sympathetic towards Amir due to the peer pressure, age and stupidity factors. I don't think he deserves a life ban, but I do think cricket needed it.
Indeed. Still found it interesting.

Yeah I share your stance towards Amir.

fredfertang

Just watched that Panorama programme that the fake sheikh tried to stop - **** me he's a bent bastard - can see Asif and Butt getting their bans lifted too

fredfertang

It all seems to have unravelled when he perjured himself in the trial of that Tulisa woman, and Panorama trotted out a few more of his victims - deeply cynical man - would lure these lower level celebrities with promises of life changing contracts "but before we finalise it could you get me a couple of wraps of cocaine please" - the rest I'm sure you can guess

nightprowler10

Global Moderator
Yeah I'd say Ramiz is pretty spot on. Misbah & co. have worked their asses off trying to create a drama free environment and now they will be forced to take on a guy whose integrity is questionable at best.