Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: IMO Bond is the finest ODI bowler ever.

U19 Debutant

IMO Bond is the finest ODI bowler ever.

I know people say it's joel garner and then say Bond didn't play enough. But Garner is rated the best based on 146 wickets. Bond has 147. His ODI stats are breathtaking.

wickets 147
    Average 20.88
    Strike Rate 29.2
    economy 4.28
    4w+ hauls 11
    innings 80

Garner is excellent too
    wickets 146
    average 18.84
    strike rate 36.5
    economy 3.09
    4w+ hauls 5
    innings 98

And bond did this in the so-called "batting friendly" era of the 00s. I mean honestly if Garner is 1 Bond has to be tied or number 2, really which bowler has more impressive stats than these two?

Garner was 100% of time. Bond it was 25% of the time. Player who cannot play more than 50% of his team matches cannot be even an ATG.

Edit: And I rate McGrath as the best ever ODI bowler with Murali and Akram in 2nd and 3rd. Garner might come in at top 10 but not top 3.
    Last edited by Migara; 13-09-2011 at 09:21 PM.
    Member of the Sanga fan club. (Ugh! it took me so long to become a real fan of his)

Simon Champion!
    IMO he is not.

Request Your Custom Title Now! Flem274*'s Avatar
    Bond is an all time great, and possibly the finest ODI bowler in his era.

I'm not sure how to quantify injuries though, because let's face it, if we wanted to field an all time eleven in real life we're going to need to do some serious bioengineering to get fifty year old men back to their peaks. If we can do that, we can give Bond an invincible back as well.

Bond did manage to play in two world cups, the pinnacle of the ODI format, and he was outstanding in both. It's also worth noting most of his injury concerns came about because of tests, and during that period in 2006/2007 where we solely played ODIs, his injury record was fine.

Being an all time great is about what you do, not what you don't do. Ricky Ponting never faced Malcolm Marshall, but no one except people who try to compare across eras (which is a complex exercise to say the least) cares because he has happily scored piles of runs against the best bowlers in his era. Likewise, Shane Bond has huge success against the best players in his generation, including dismantling all time great Australian sides and performing to a high standard in two world cups.
    Last edited by Flem274*; 13-09-2011 at 09:35 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Athlai View Post
    Jeets doesn't really deserve to be bowling.
    Well yeah Tendy is probably better than Bradman, but Bradman was 70 years ago, if he grew up in the modern era he'd still easily be the best. Though he wasn't, can understand the argument for Tendy even though I don't agree.
    Proudly supporting Central Districts
    RIP Craig Walsh

Simon Champion!
    He is one of the finest ODI bowlers for sure in his era, or any era. Infact i rate him higher as a test bowler than most and always loved to see him bowl a lot. But don't think he is the best ever ODI bowler.

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    There is certainly an argument for him being the finest ever, but as many have pointed out already he simply didn't play enough to be properly considered the best.

He'd make most top 10-15 lists I reckon.
    Direbirds FTW!

Wellington will win the whole thing next year. Mark my words.
    Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    I'll offer up my avatar to Athlai forever if Wellington wins the Champions League.
    President of T.I.T.S
    Tamim Is Talented Society

International Coach tooextracool's Avatar
    Dick Quicks Island Adventure Champion!
    Ultimately, longevity *matters* in cricket because when we are calling someone the finest player ever, we are not picking him for one game but for an entire career.
    Tendulkar = the most overated player EVER!!
    Beckham = the most overated footballer EVER!!
    Vassell = the biggest disgrace since rikki clarke!!

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend smalishah84's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Ultimately, longevity *matters* in cricket because when we are calling someone the finest player ever, we are not picking him for one game but for an entire career.
    awta.

To me, the greatest ODI bowler ever is Wasim Akram, followed closely by Mcgrath, Garner and Murali.

I think we had a ranking here on CW of the greatest ODI players in history. Viv and Sachin came out 1 and 2 and Wasim came in at number 3.
    And smalishah's avatar is the most classy one by far Jan certainly echoes the sentiments of CW

Yeah we don't crap in the first world; most of us would actually have no idea what that was emanating from Ajmal's backside. Why isn't it roses and rainbows like what happens here? PEWS's retort to Ganeshran on Daemon's picture depicting Ajmal's excreta

Duck Hunt Champion! Plops Champion!
    Tournaments Won: 2
    Quote Originally Posted by smalishah84 View Post
    Haha according to that (and by my approximations of 'proper' bowlers) Bond is the 14th best ODI bowler as rated by CW. 15th if we include Dev as a bowler only but I sort of doubt he got in there by bowling alone.

yeah I said ODI players and not ODI bowlers

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend Top_Cat's Avatar
    Brett Lee should be in the discussion too.
    The Colourphonics

Bandcamp
    Twitderp

Eyes not spreadsheets marc71178's Avatar
    Dernbach better IMO.
    marc71178 - President and founding member of AAAS - we don't only appreciate when he does well, but also when he's not quite so good!

Anyone want to join the Society?

Beware the evils of Kit-Kats - they're immoral apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by Flem274* View Post
    Bond is an all time great, and possibly the finest ODI bowler in his era.

I'm not sure how to quantify injuries though, because let's face it, if we wanted to field an all time eleven in real life we're going to need to do some serious bioengineering to get fifty year old men back to their peaks. If we can do that, we can give Bond an invincible back as well.

Bond did manage to play in two world cups, the pinnacle of the ODI format, and he was outstanding in both. It's also worth noting most of his injury concerns came about because of tests, and during that period in 2006/2007 where we solely played ODIs, his injury record was fine.

Being an all time great is about what you do, not what you don't do. Ricky Ponting never faced Malcolm Marshall, but no one except people who try to compare across eras (which is a complex exercise to say the least) cares because he has happily scored piles of runs against the best bowlers in his era. Likewise, Shane Bond has huge success against the best players in his generation, including dismantling all time great Australian sides and performing to a high standard in two world cups.
    Being unfit is not a hypothetical situation. Let's face it, he was unfit.

Quote Originally Posted by tooextracool View Post
    Yep, exactly.
    ~ Cribbage ~

Rejecting 'analysis by checklist' and 'skill absolutism' since December 2009

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information