• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

IMO Bond is the finest ODI bowler ever.

smash84

The Tiger King
haha yeah......at least use guys with comparable quality. Like Bond and Macca or Bond or Macko. Who is better? :cool:

weldone

Hall of Fame Member
Ah, I learn so many things everyday in CW! So, Mills and Martin are better bowlers than Bond. Then why hasn't NZ won the last 2 World Cups, and been the no. 1 test team for the last 5 years or something?

Mike5181

International Captain
Interesting to note Bond has 147 wickets in 80 innings and Garner has 146 wickets in 98 innings.

weeman27bob

International Regular
Ah, I learn so many things everyday in CW! So, Mills and Martin are better bowlers than Bond. Then why hasn't NZ won the last 2 World Cups, and been the no. 1 test team for the last 5 years or something?
Because other teams have better bowlers?

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Heh yea that isn't even close. Chris Martin has held New Zealand back to sub-mediocrity for years because the fact is his bowling isn't good enough and he's an average fielder and an atrocious batsman. His overall contribution is poor. Bond on the other hand gave an otherwise mediocre team a cutting edge and helped NZ's performance no end.
Errr? Chris Martin has held NZ back to sub-mediocrity?

You're entitled to an opinion, but the guys is going to be only our third person to reach 200 Test wickets. He has won us Test matches, he's a genuine wicket-taker and does a better job with an older ball than any other options we've had.

I thought this batsman rubbish was well-worn and over with. McGrath was the biggest bunny on the planet for most of his career, was it ever a problem? He also wasn't a great fielder. Martin isn't either, but he's not awful.

Chris Martin deserves to be held up as one of our Test greats, and I say that as someone who's watched the majority of his career. I remember him destroying SA in a memorable Test win at Eden Park, I remember him as recently as last year knocking over India's top-order in memorable fashion.

Plus I once saw him miss a catch at Eden Park in a one-day domestic game because he was eating a banana. He's a champion.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
I think McGrath was an excellent fielder actually, maybe for the first 2 or 3 years he was terrible, but he really got quite good in the outfield, and even had more than a few run outs to his name with direct hits. I would even say he was the safest outfield catcher we have had for ages, he hardly ever dropped them. As far as his batting, don't force me to post my McGrath batting compilation video...........

Ah now you've done it....

THE WORLDS GREATEST BATSMAN - GLENN McGRATH!!!!! - YouTube

Flem274*

123/5
Errr? Chris Martin has held NZ back to sub-mediocrity?

You're entitled to an opinion, but the guys is going to be only our third person to reach 200 Test wickets. He has won us Test matches, he's a genuine wicket-taker and does a better job with an older ball than any other options we've had.

I thought this batsman rubbish was well-worn and over with. McGrath was the biggest bunny on the planet for most of his career, was it ever a problem? He also wasn't a great fielder. Martin isn't either, but he's not awful.

Chris Martin deserves to be held up as one of our Test greats, and I say that as someone who's watched the majority of his career. I remember him destroying SA in a memorable Test win at Eden Park, I remember him as recently as last year knocking over India's top-order in memorable fashion.

Plus I once saw him miss a catch at Eden Park in a one-day domestic game because he was eating a banana. He's a champion.
As a general rule, NZ posters learn not to respond to Scaly.

I hope that's not what I think it is.:(

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
One of the more interesting threads in CC lately. Good discussion.

I reckon Flem's point regarding Mills was very good, but that is because Bond's bowling ability is THAT much better than Mills'. But Bond's bowling ability isn't that much better than Garner, Akram and McGrath, and he is thus inferior to those as an all-time ODI bowler.

Athlai

Not Terrible
One of the more interesting threads in CC lately. Good discussion.

I reckon Flem's point regarding Mills was very good, but that is because Bond's bowling ability is THAT much better than Mills'. But Bond's bowling ability isn't that much better than Garner, Akram and McGrath, and he is thus inferior to those as an all-time ODI bowler.
TBF being inferior to arguably the top 3 ODI bowlers ever isn't all that bad.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
Never suggested it was, but the argument was about #1 and whether missing cricket games should be taken into account.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Curtly Ambrose a bit underrated as ODI bowler. Look at his ridiculous economy rate and compare with others whose careers coincided with his like Wasim Akram and Courtney Walsh.