• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Who is the best fast bowler in the world right now - Tests

Who is the bet fast bowler in Tests - Any conditions

• Total voters

Furball

Evil Scotsman
:laugh:

No expert analysis of the SG ball?
Bit unfair since Bresnan hasn't used it.

However, Bresnan averages 22.91 with the Duke in comparison to Steyn's 36.25 and averages 19.54 with a Kookaburra in his hand compared to Steyn's 26.16.

Given that Steyn averages 20.23 when he has an SG in his hand then it's only reasonable to assume that when Bresnan does get it into his hands, he'll average about 14 with it.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
Well he's mastered it in his head, clearly.

Oh and anyway Steyn's flopped with the Duke ball a number of times. That number being 0.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Brez = God

No further analysis required tbh
:thumbsup:

However, Bresnan averages 22.91 with the Duke in comparison to Steyn's 36.25 and averages 19.54 with a Kookaburra in his hand compared to Steyn's 26.16.

Given that Steyn averages 20.23 when he has an SG in his hand then it's only reasonable to assume that when Bresnan does get it into his hands, he'll average about 14 with it.
If all you say is the case how com Bresnan's test average is around 25.

And where do they use the different balls. I know they use Dukes in England and Kookaburra in Australia but I thought they used Kookaburra every where else as well, didn't know there was a SG".

Howe_zat

Audio File

[serious hat]

Technically speaking he averages 24.50 with a Kookaburra - they use them in Bangladesh too.

Cabinet96 - Bresnan's bowling average is actually 23.60. And they only use SG balls in India.

[/serious hat]

So juding by a) Furball's figures and b) India's recent batting performances I'll frankly be surprised if Bresnan even averages double figures over there.

Last edited:

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
And where do they use the different balls. I know they use Dukes in England and Kookaburra in Australia but I thought they used Kookaburra every where else as well, didn't know there was a SG".
SG cricket balls (colloquially called the 'seamer' sometimes) are used for tests in India.

NZ, Aus, SA, Bangladesh and the West Indies use the Kookaburra, to the best of my knowledge.

I quite like your enthusiasm in cricket, young lad. Keep chipping in! :)

Edit: I am not sure about SL and Pak. Guessing Kooks, but not sure. Can someone fill in on that?

Last edited:

OMM!

U19 12th Man
"Dale Steyn went to England in 2005 to play for Essex, appearing in seven matches between May and June. He failed to make a big impact in his initial outing in County Championship cricket, taking 14 wickets at 59.85"

Hmmm.....intriguing, interesting! :detective

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
"Dale Steyn went to England in 2005 to play for Essex, appearing in seven matches between May and June. He failed to make a big impact in his initial outing in County Championship cricket, taking 14 wickets at 59.85"

Hmmm.....intriguing, interesting! :detective
Steyn was no where near the class he is now then though, so you can't really look into it that much...

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year
"James Anderson went to Australia in 2006/7 to play for England, appearing in three matches between November and January. He failed to make a big impact in his initial outing in Ashes cricket, taking 5 wickets at 82.60"

Hmmm.....your point mmmbeing? :detective

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
"James Anderson went to Australia in 2006/7 to play for England, appearing in three matches between November and January. He failed to make a big impact in his initial outing in Ashes cricket, taking 5 wickets at 82.60"

Brilliant. :lol::lol::lol: There you go. The perfect example.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Loved the reply!

OMM!

U19 12th Man
Anderson isn't really being discussed by me......

But while we are on the subject. Anderson then went back to Oz land a second time and ripped the Aussies a new one in every sense.

When Steyn went back to England, he was still rubbish!

As the famous song goes: "Might trick me once, but I won't let you trick me twice! (Unless you are Dale Steyn in England!)"

Cabinet96

Global Moderator

But while we are on the subject. Anderson then went back to Oz land a second time and ripped the Aussies a new one in every sense.

As the famous song goes: "Might trick me once, but I won't let you trick me twice! (Unless you are Dale Steyn in England!)"
I still think you're being to harsh on Steyn in England. As I said he played one test on a flat pitch at lords where he got 1 wicket and then played at Leeds and got 7 wickets in the match.

MW1304

Cricketer Of The Year

Ahhh you got me... it was all a trick. :thumbs_up

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Problem with Steyn is that he has set the bar so high for himself, that whenever he operates at anything less than his best, people think that he's rubbish.

Look up Steyn's performances in England again. Not eye-catching or befitting the great man's stature, but far from rubbish!