• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Your most aesthetically appealing XI

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
I have a thread discussing the merits of regimented discipline in cricket, so let's go for pampering our eyes in this one! :D

What would your most attractive XI look like? Need not be batsmen with 50+ averages or ATG bowlers, but players whose style of play you find appealing. Maybe their batting stance, backlift, strokeplay, defense, footwork, bowling action or insane keeping skills!!!

Preferably, ink in a XI whose career you've closely followed. Always believe that when it comes to rating based on looks, it's best to stick to your generation. I'd shoot first:

Stephen Fleming (c)
Daren Ganga
Rahul Dravid
Michael Vaughan
Neil McKenzie
Chris Cairns
Moin Khan (wk.)
Chaminda Vaas
Jason Gillespie
Andrew Caddick
Stuart MacGill

Howe_zat

Audio File
Liking your team, Outswinger. My first thought was the conspicuous absence of Jayawardena though. Past that I'm not sure, will have to think about it for a bit.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
And my first thought was the conspicuous absence of Allan Donald, specially given your earlier expressed love for him.

sumantra

U19 Cricketer
saeed anwar
micheal slater
rahul dravid
sachin tendulkar
inzamam ul haq
mohammad yusuf
adam gilchrist
wasim akram
shane warne
waqar yunis
curtley ambrose

flibbertyjibber

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Michael Vaughan
Michael Slater
Ian Bell
Mark Waugh
Mahela Jayawardena
Sachin Tendulkar
Jack Russell
Shane Warne
Matthew Hoggard
Malcolm Marshall
Glenn McGrath

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Liking your team, Outswinger. My first thought was the conspicuous absence of Jayawardena though.
Atapattu was the closest miss in this team. I love wristy players like Jaya, VVS, Yousuf et. al. but more like to see elegant, upright drivers of the ball. Dravid, McKenzie, Fleming, Vaughan types. :)

And my first thought was the conspicuous absence of Allan Donald, specially given your earlier expressed love for him.
True. I love Donald and his action to bits, but mostly saw him in old highlight videos. I never saw him live in tests except in Aus in 2002 where he was way past it. Only sticking with players who I saw perform live at their best. :cool:

Australian Women's cricket team.
Throw Broad in there and all the matches would attract jam-packed crowds. :D

Sumantra and FJ, nice looking teams, gentlemen!

Last edited:

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
True. I love Donald and his action to bits, but mostly saw him in old highlight videos. I never saw him live in tests except in Aus in 2002 where he was way past it.
You must be very young! :)

I was lucky to see him at his prime (that series against India in 96-97). He was such a pretty sight!

OMM!

U19 12th Man
The current England set-up is full of good looking fellas.

Dernbach, Broad, Cooky, Jimmy, Mogs

All boaty lads!

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Always admired Pollock's action; solid, easily repeatable, looked to expend a minimum of effort.

A fan of Ramesh Power's too. Unprepossessing physical specimen as he was, he had a beautiful, high-armed, classic offie's action. The anti-Ajmal.

Himannv

International Coach
I seem to remember some other topic which was similar to this one. Thinking about it, my team would probably be this:

Marvan Atapattu
Mark Waugh
Rahul Dravid
Mahela Jayawardene
David Gover
Zaheer Abbas
Ian Healy+
Chaminda Vaas
Shane Warne
Wes Hall
James Anderson

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Have to have BCL in there for my quid. Was literally awe inspiring when in full flow. No-one I've seen I'd rather watch. You couldn't coach what he did, but, God, you'd love to be able to play like it, wouldn't you? Had the cut for the ages.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
You must be very young! :)

I was lucky to see him at his prime (that series against India in 96-97). He was such a pretty sight!
Started watching somewhat late around 2000 or so. IIRC, the first complete series I followed was Ambrose's last one where England walloped the West Indian tourists and there was some tremendous bowling from both sides. :cool:

in an aesthetically pleasing XI how could you miss out Akram?
I mainly rated guys based on the aesthetics of their actions here (in my eyes, obv.) rather than what they did with their ball. Somehow, that quick arm action with a short run never really caught my fancy. Marshall was another great bowler who, I thought, didn't have the prettiest action.

Outswinger@Pace

International 12th Man
Always admired Pollock's action; solid, easily repeatable, looked to expend a minimum of effort.
So true. Must have been a very efficient action too because he suddenly seemed to gather pace off the pitch and had a bouncer which hurried on from nowhere.

A fan of Ramesh Power's too. Unprepossessing physical specimen as he was, he had a beautiful, high-armed, classic offie's action. The anti-Ajmal.
Yeah, good name. De Silva had a classical action as well, IMO. I have one clasical off-spin bowler in my team too (albeit, a part-timer) in Vaughan. Always thought he had a wonderfully easy action and should've bowled himself more.

Cabinet96

Global Moderator
Will only do current players.

Alastair Cook (capt) nothing quite like watching him bat all day. You may hate it but I love it.
Shane Watson
Jonathan Trott same as Cook
Mahela Jayawardene
Ian Bell
Ab de Villers
Matt Prior (wk)
Mitchell Johnson
Graeme Swann
Morne Morkel
Dale Steyn

Could bring Amla and Sehwag in for Trott and Cook, but I just love watching them bat all day pissing the opposition off.

JBMAC

State Captain
1. Gordon Greenidge
2. Dennis Amiss
3. Don Bradman
4. Neil Harvey
5. David Gower
6. Peter May
7. Rohan Kanhai
8. Shane Warne
9. Wesley Hall
10. Michael Holding
11.Don Tallon(k)

Hard to leave out....G Chappell, Ted Dexter, Ken Barrington, Basil D'Olivera, Norm O'Neill, Bob Cowper,Laker, and probably a few others can not think of

smash84

The Tiger King
1. Gordon Greenidge
2. Dennis Amiss
3. Don Bradman
4. Neil Harvey
5. David Gower
6. Peter May
7. Rohan Kanhai
8. Shane Warne
9. Wesley Hall
10. Michael Holding
11.Don Tallon(k)

Hard to leave out....G Chappell, Ted Dexter, Ken Barrington, Basil D'Olivera, Norm O'Neill, Bob Cowper,Laker, and probably a few others can not think of
haha......that is a great list......unfortunately for us we missed out on seeing so many of these guys play