• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Danesh Kaneria

zohaib

Cricket Spectator
Simple question.How do people on this forum rate this guy?
I personally feel he is one of the best young spinners around along with Harbajan.

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
zohaib said:
Simple question.How do people on this forum rate this guy?
I personally feel he is one of the best young spinners around along with Harbajan.
Personally I think Danish is far better than Harbhajan. Harbhajan is a simple fingerspinner; Danish is a wristspinner and a very accurate one at that. I just hope he makes more of his ability than Mushtaq has ended-up doing.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Kaneria, I remember his debut series against England, when we actually got to see highlights from the winter tours (yes even the ODIs!). He looked accurate but wasn't very potent and didn't really turn the ball a great deal. I've noticed he's mainly played against Bangladesh and has taken a shedload of wickets against them which gives him a very good career record, but I'd give him more time against other opposition before any judgement is passed.

zohaib

Cricket Spectator
Rik if u see him bowl in this Pak-South Africa series u will realise how much Kaneria has matured he is not only turning it sharply but hes got according to Dean Jones all the toys that a leg spinner should have this boy has finally come of age.

Yousuf_Youhana

U19 12th Man
this guys a legspinner to watch! he can spin the ball very well and also has matured and disguises his flippers and googlies superbly, he's the 2nd Hindu to play for Pakistan and I think he's a great find!

He's been a real threat against SA in this test series along with Malik and Shabbir, Personally I think this guy would take bags of wickets for PAK in tests and ODI's, in the 5th ODI against SA he bowled 10 overs, 1 wicket for 37 runs, and that wicket was herschelle gibbs gettin stumped.

i think Kaneria is better than mushy, better action, better spinner, better everythin..

royGilchrist

State 12th Man
first of all Mushtaq has been one of the best leg spinners of the modern era. If Danish can achive everything mushtaq did, then he would have done good. Mushtaq's performances in England, in Austrailia, in the World Cup have all been memorable. Quite regulary even in presence of the two Ws he used to take the top order wickets. 180 odd wickets in 50 matches is very good for a spinner.

Secondly when I saw Kaneria in the past he looked very ordinary indeed. Miandad also used to praise him a lot but I could not undertsand why. Neither did he have the turn nor did he take wickets. But in this recent series he has been doing very well so hopefully he has turned the corner. All the best to him.

iamdavid

International Debutant
I rate him quite highly

He seems to have all the tricks , a very mature bowler for his age , pretty accurate , dosent turn the ball a massive amount but certainly enough to worry people & he gets some handy dip on the ball.

He's no Shane Warne but aside from the Victorian & Mushie he's probably the best leggie on the planet ATM , Kumble is better on the subcontinent but nowhere else.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
zohaib said:
Rik if u see him bowl in this Pak-South Africa series u will realise how much Kaneria has matured he is not only turning it sharply but hes got according to Dean Jones all the toys that a leg spinner should have this boy has finally come of age.
I can't watch him, but then I can't even watch England play :!(

luckyeddie

Cricket Web Staff Member
Rik said:
<quack> Since when has that ever stopped y.....

background sounds of duck being throttled

<LE> Hush, DD. Rik is a highly valued member of the international cricket enthusiasts' community and as such his opinions are more valid than most.

<quack> That's a good trick

<LE> What is?

<quack> Typing when you are rolling around on the floor

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
Looking up Kaneria on Cricinfo, I saw that he's been signed as the 2nd overseas player for Essex next season since Andy Flower is now considered a domestic player due to his English passport. Essex's overseas players next season will be Zimbabwean-born Scott Brant who didn't exactly set the world alight last season and Kaneria, 2 quite unproven young players. I don't see Kaneria as a risk in the Collins Obuya category, but since the only reason his Test average is below 30 is because he took 34 wickets in 5 Tests against Bangladesh...

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
luckyeddie said:
background sounds of duck being throttled
Careful, ed - they'll have The RSPCA or The Duck Protection League on your back if you go around like that.
And besides, this place clearly wouldn't be the same without DD.

Last edited:

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
Wanted - glue to fix Rik's broken record.

(Either that, or could we club together to get him Satellite TV)

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
Wanted - glue to fix Rik's broken record.

(Either that, or could we club together to get him Satellite TV)
So your happy with not seeing the highlights then? I thought you liked watching cricket. But obviously not, you'd rather watch cricinfo, well I'll buy you a subscription, your un-birthday soon? Put it on my tab...

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Rik said:
So your happy with not seeing the highlights then? I thought you liked watching cricket. But obviously not, you'd rather watch cricinfo, well I'll buy you a subscription, your un-birthday soon? Put it on my tab...
To be honest, I'm never around when the highlights are on, and even if they were, I didn't really make an effort to watch them. C4 may be good with live coverage, but the highlight package isn't quite so good.

Craig

World Traveller
I rate Kaneria highly. He looks a good prospect and is very accurate.

And he has taken wickets against New Zealand and against South Africa in this series.

I think Danish will be valuable for Kent, however PCB will be well adviced not to play Danish in Pak team against India as Indian batters will make a mockery of him. For Pak the best bet(as far as spinner is concerned) would be to have Saqlain in the team in the series against India!

Richard

Cricket Web Staff Member
Depends on the pitches.
Virender Sehwag made a point the Indian authorities seemed oblivious to; spinning pitches would serve India best.
However, if we get the sort of surfaces we had for the recent NZ series, Pakistan and India would do best to pick 11 batsmen including a wicketkeeper - because a result ain't on the cards! The only use for pitches like that is to stack-up batsman's averages, so you might as well give as many as possible the opportunity, and leave bowlers' figures from being damaged.

Rik

Cricketer Of The Year
marc71178 said:
To be honest, I'm never around when the highlights are on, and even if they were, I didn't really make an effort to watch them. C4 may be good with live coverage, but the highlight package isn't quite so good.
It's the only cricket I can watch in the winter so I tend to just make do with it.