• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Best Catch

uvelocity

International Coach
Never seen anything like it!
Don't mean to be rude but there's a reason for that: rule 41

7. Movement by fielders
Any significant movement by any fielder after the ball comes into play, and before the ball reaches the striker, is unfair. In the event of such unfair movement, either umpire shall call and signal Dead ball. Note also the provisions of Law 42.4 (Deliberate attempt to distract striker).

Koertzen fail

zaremba

Cricketer Of The Year

7. Movement by fielders
Any significant movement by any fielder after the ball comes into play, and before the ball reaches the striker, is unfair. In the event of such unfair movement, either umpire shall call and signal Dead ball. Note also the provisions of Law 42.4 (Deliberate attempt to distract striker).

Koertzen fail
Yep good call. Zaremba fail!

weeman27bob

International Regular

7. Movement by fielders

Koertzen fail
Interesting rule that one, because you've got fielders walking in.

And if that doesn't count as significant movement, I'd have thought it's hazy but he does only take one step before the ball reacher the striker.

SteveNZ

Cricketer Of The Year
Interesting rule that one, because you've got fielders walking in.

And if that doesn't count as significant movement, I'd have thought it's hazy but he does only take one step before the ball reacher the striker.
If you're walking in, you're still in the same position. Van Jaarsveld (? think that's him) has not only changed positions, he's changed sides of the wicket!

I think McCullum is well within his rights, as he is a wicketkeeper. He's allowed to move down the legside if he thinks a ball is going there, just as any wide requires him to move either way. But not with the slip. Hell of a catch, but illegal.

robelinda

International Vice-Captain
Oh is he really? I did think some of his posting yesterday was a bit much. At least i'll get a whole week off from Cheeqs requests.

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
The Adam Dale one in the ODD game at the Gabba was an amazing catch. There was also one which Ponting took at silly point during Clarke's spell of 6 for 9 which was an insanely good grab.

It's at about the 60 second mark of this video of Rob's. About as sharp a diving catch as you can get.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q4pQxNFECLY

Last edited:

Burgey

Request Your Custom Title Now!
Yeah as great a fielder as he was, I actually wonder if there was a massive amount of luck there. I really don't know how he could have expected the ball to end up where it went at such speed, given the bloke was aiming to play to leg and just got a leading edge a full body length away from Ponting who was standing that close.

smash84

The Tiger King
Yeah as great a fielder as he was, I actually wonder if there was a massive amount of luck there. I really don't know how he could have expected the ball to end up where it went at such speed, given the bloke was aiming to play to leg and just got a leading edge a full body length away from Ponting who was standing that close.
Of course you just hope that these catches will stick. They either stick or they don't. You don't get any time to think what to do. You just hope that your body will move out reflexively, and that too quick enough, to grab it. Like this similar gem from Mark Waugh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jm-J67eQRlQ