• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

what do you think of gambhir as a batsman?

miscer

U19 Cricketer
29 years old, 74 innings and averages 48. (45 ignoring B/Z).

I didn't watch his early career so idk how good his batting was back them but stats seem to suggest he is very good away. He averages 90 in NZ and 60 in SAF, but only 17 in ENG.

Overall 52 vs the three countries. Anyway predictions for the AUS tour and his career? Idk what to make of him. Prior to the england series I figured he would perform well there but that was a disappointment. I want to be optimistic and say he'll average 50+ and will be good away against pace. Thoughts on his technique btw?

Bun

Banned
Overall has pedigree and class. But of late has suffered due to exhaustion, injuries and maybe lack of focus (?) (got the biggest IPL bid and is captaining a team)

BoyBrumby

Englishman
Mildly suspect against the short pitched ball, although this has perhaps been exaggerated and led to us overdoing it on occasions, but no real worries about his batting.

More concerned about his ticker, myself.

truth

Banned
I think his technique is good. I would like to appreciate Sourav for giving him chances and trusting his abilities and grooming him in his early days. Very good talent, his bad record in England is because he was picked despite of an injury and sustained more injuries during the England tour.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Gambhir is a gutsy cricketer. I find much similarities between him and Ganguly. Like Ganguly, Gambhir's technique is not exactly very fluent and effortless but makes really valuable contributions in difficult/high pressure situations. He is also one of the very few batsman around the world who have performed equally well in all three forms of the game

Last edited:

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Mildly suspect against the short pitched ball, although this has perhaps been exaggerated and led to us overdoing it on occasions, but no real worries about his batting.

His ticker's the least suspect part of him.

G.I.Joe

International Coach
Manjrekar says a lot of things. Cricinfo says he was strapped up and batted ten minutes in the presence of the physio. The man fielded at short leg in the first test despite Mukund being the junior-most player in the team.

Hi, Benchy.

Zinzan

Request Your Custom Title Now!

This.

Also, there's something subtly but distinctly Ganguly-ish about em :kwasny:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Manjrekar says a lot of things. Cricinfo says he was strapped up and batted ten minutes in the presence of the physio. The man fielded at short leg in the first test despite Mukund being the junior-most player in the team.

Hi, Benchy.
Exactly.

He batted in the nets doesn't mean he was fully fit to play a test ffs after such a big blow!! And we can see what happened with Sehwag who played unfit and without match practice.

Plus he played a crucial knock in SA with a injury and clearly in pain. And then in the last test match people keep conveniently forgetting he came out to bat with a concussion,vision problems and while vomitting.

Missed the ODI series with the same as he didn't recover.

Jono

Virat Kohli (c)
His ticker's the least suspect part of him.
Yeah its ludicrous imo that people are doubting that. Digs in so often.

Had rotten luck this tour, and faced good quality bowling whilst injured. Rough.

Fair enough hate the bloke, but he's not a coward.

Xuhaib

International Coach
anybody doubting Gambhir's ticker should watch his 2 WC final knocks was easily the best Indian batsman on both occasions.There is no bigger pressure for a sub cont cricketer then a limited overs WC final.

benchmark00

anybody doubting Gambhir's ticker should watch his 2 WC final knocks was easily the best Indian batsman on both occasions.There is no bigger pressure for a sub cont cricketer then a limited overs WC final.
Meeting the parents on a first date also worth a shout imo.

Burgey

Gambhir is a gutsy cricketer. I find much similarities between him and Ganguly. Like Ganguly, Gambhir's technique is not exactly very fluent and effortless but makes really valuable contributions in difficult/high pressure situations. He is also one of the very few batsman around the world who have performed equally well in all three forms of the game
Ganguly hated it when it was at his nose.

ankitj

Hall of Fame Member
Agree with your point in general, but Dhoni's knock in the final > Gambhir's.

But yes, Gambhir has stood up on a number of important occasions in all formats of the game. Have great respect for him. Odd as it may be, the turnaround for him was the T20 WC. Before that he was seen as a very limited batsman who scored only against weaker oppositions.