• Welcome to the Cricket Web forums, one of the biggest forums in the world dedicated to cricket.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join the Cricket Web community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us.

Things that will happen before India win another international

Jacknife

International Captain
In the last 4 years:

v India (h) W 4-3
v Sri Lanka (a) W 3-2
v New Zealand (a) L 1-3
v New Zealand (h) L 1-3
v South Africa (h) W 4-0
v India (a) L 0-5
v West Indies (a) W 3-2
v West Indies (h) W 3-0
v Australia (h) L 1-6
v South Africa (a) W 2-1
v Bangladesh (a) W 3-0
v Bangladesh (h) W 2-1
v Australia (h) W 3-2
v Pakistan (h) W 3-2
v Australia (a) L 1-6
v Sri Lanka (h) W 3-2
v India (h) W 2-0 (so far)

So that's 17 bilateral series in the last 4 years of which we've won 11 and lost 5. New Zealand are the only side who we haven't beaten in a bilateral ODI series in the last 4 years.
Yes, it's since Flower took over we've just lost the 2 post Ashes series.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Is that your interpretation because I bet he'll be one of the first names on the team sheet when we go to India.
That's more horses for courses more than anything else though. Would be stupid to tour India for Odi's without him.

He was still available for this series though and wasn't picked on back of his form in ODI's.
Also England have a decentish break till they travel to India.

Last edited:

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Tendulkar must have been dropped from the Test side in the West Indies then.
Tendulkar wasn't having a 2/3 year long poor run of form in tests though and being speculated upon.

Plus not as if you have a tour coming straight on the back of this one at home either. Really stupid to rest him against India where it could have easily had him regain his ODI form too.:p

marc71178

Eyes not spreadsheets
Is that your interpretation because I bet he'll be one of the first names on the team sheet when we go to India.
Of course he will, because he is part of our best team. But of course it doesn't suit some people to see that our team is understrength and still winning.

Cevno

Hall of Fame Member
Of course he will, because he is part of our best team. But of course it doesn't suit some people to see that our team is understrength and still winning.
lolwut?

That argument if anything suits India perfectly at the moment.:p

I have my doubts whether he would be selected if the next series was to be played in England,given his recent ODI form, which is perfectly valid.

Nobody has explained what the logic of resting him out of all people for this series was,given he was the most speculated on about his place in the side?

Last edited:

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He's not part of our best ODI side, in fact he's been poor for years, I hope he has been dropped myself.

Jacknife

International Captain
He's not part of our best ODI side, in fact he's been poor for years, I hope he has been dropped myself.
He is as far as I'm concerned, he went through a similar poor run in tests and came good.
Are you seriously saying that you wouldn't have him in the side when we tour India, especially with Morgan out?

Arjun

Cricketer Of The Year
But its not just about the ODI series - losing 4-0 in the Tests and then the first 3 completed LO games is much worse than us getting hammered in an ODI series. Its just been an incredibly bad tour and the only way is up from here - we've been in that position a few times recently and you'll come out from it.
Jadeja definitely is a positive. Parthiv is not, because he has been a liability in the field and I don't rate his keeping at all... So even though he is a good batsman, he is useless if not batting and even as a batsman he is not exactly among the best in the world, so I don't really see him doing well as a positive at all..
LOL performance of these two are positives?
TBH considering the number of A team players missing this has been a pretty decent performance. Quite a few positives - Parthiv, Rahane and Jadeja. Frustrating to lose today's game after having England 131/5. But this is in no way the equivalent of the 5-0 or 6-1 wins in India.
Rahane's a positive. Surely. Let's hope they don't lose him after a poor series.

Parthiv, and Jadeja, are here only because we tend to celebrate mediocrity. Both players are way behind their counterparts on international benches elsewhere. That these two are having a supposedly good series is a good gauge of why India's had a poor tour. It's not like they're the best for the job in India- they're surely not.

This isn't the only example- we've seen plenty of poor performers retained, poor plans and strategies repeated and we've seen next to no innovation at all in the past few years.

grecian

Cricket Web: All-Time Legend
He is as far as I'm concerned, he went through a similar poor run in tests and came good.
Are you seriously saying that you wouldn't have him in the side when we tour India, especially with Morgan out?
He wouldn't, no, but I've been saying for ages that we should do a complete overhaul of our batting in ODI's it doesn't work most of the time. Throw in Taylor, Buttler, Davies, Hales, or any number of guys, I don't care sick of us under-performing in this form.

Yet of course the main two to ditch is Bell and Bopara, them before KP, obviously.

Bun

Banned
That's complete garbage though. We haven't lost a home series for 2 years.
He said England aren't that good a LO side.

India seldom lost a test series at home during the 90s but heck no, they weren't a good test side by any means then.

England's World Cup and major tournament records is enough proof of their pedigree in LO cricket.

Last edited: